• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

What kind of information/evidence did they ask for?

Hey guys,

I've just received my interview letter! I'm so relieved! I was scared there was a problem with my case since they sent me a request for evidence letter but it all seems fine now. My interview is on 03/24. Let's hope it all goes well.

Update: I had biometrics appointment yesterday. It took 15 minutes and everything was fine. My husband had his appointment on 3/24 but did it with me. Nobody checked the date on our NOAs.

Great. Good luck with your interview letter now. I am still waiting for the bio. appointment letter.

Update: I had biometrics appointment yesterday. It took 15 minutes and everything was fine. My husband had his appointment on 3/24 but did it with me. Nobody checked the date on our NOAs.

What kind of information/evidence did they ask for?

They wanted to see the original papers I received from KCC and the letter saying that I was now doing AOS and not consular processing. My lawyer had told me they never requested originals until the interview. I had also found on various websites that if you get a request for evidence form, it's usually bad sign so I freaked out a little.

They request original documents from almost everyone.
I don't know which web sites you have visited but there is nothing to worry about.

They wanted to see the original papers I received from KCC and the letter saying that I was now doing AOS and not consular processing. My lawyer had told me they never requested originals until the interview. I had also found on various websites that if you get a request for evidence form, it's usually bad sign so I freaked out a little.

Hi Dimus. I got news and a date for my interview. April 13th. So I'll be waiting for that date patiently!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Voxx,

I just got a call from my lawyer stating the same regarding the fees. But I am the winner (on H1B), my husband is here with me and came on an H4 visa. His daughter is still home and as you and newbee said, on the forms we have to list all children. I have a son that is a US citizen and was born last June (2 months after I received my first Notification letter). The lawyer said that he will file form 824 and take the receipt to the interview, that way, they will send the info needed to have her do CP at our home country.
I f I have more info, I'll update this.
Thanks.

Bringing this issue up as someone in a similar situation might not be aware of it. While browsing the forum last Friday, i've stumbled upon this post from Newbe2011 and realized we're in the same boat. My daughter from previous marriage is residing with her mom in her home country and not intending to migrate. You must include all the children though when applying for DV lottery.

Having interview scheduled on March 28, i decided to contact KCC immediately the next business day. Before i picked up the phone on Monday, email arrives from KCC stating there're three applicants on DV file, while we paid only for two. So we now know for sure that our file has not been released to USCIS yet.

What I've done is overnighted a letter to KCC, with CC:USCIS local field office, stating the fact that my daughter is not intending to migrate and asking them to release the documents to USCIS. I'm really not sure where it goes from there, but the worst case scenario i guess is going to be us attending the interview without FO having KCC file at hand. We could then discuss the matter with FO at the interview. Newbe2011 found out that USCIS does not posses his file AT the interview, and still was able to get CPO three weeks later. So I don't anticipate a longer delay than that, but still wanted to inform the members of this situation and how it progresses.

Hi, I need help.
My DV number is around EU27XXX and it is current in May. In this forum I read that some people sent their documents to Chicago before 1-2 month from their current month, such as current in May but send in April. So, I talked with officer from USCIS, and he said that I must wait May for sending the documents to Chicago for AOS. I am confused now, what will happen if I will send my documents now, because in the April visa bulletin, it is said that for May cut off number is 27800 for Eu and my number is current according to this (27xxx). Please help
Thanks

We did a walk-in biometrics in ASC San Jose today. They didn't mind accepting us, with only caveat being "we will give priority to the people who have appointments scheduled for today". This meant nothing though considering there was no line at all.
Couple of interesting facts about San Jose biometrics. First, and I think I saw this already from someone else on this forum - we received two appointments, one from national center for 3/29, another one from USCIS San Jose field office, in one envelope with our interview appointment, for 3/30. Both were AFTER our interview date of 3/28, so we used that fact as official reason for doing a walk-in. In reality the reason of course was willing to get done with this process asap. Second, the one from national center has exact ASC and time of the appointment, while the one from the field office basically says "you can visit any of the following six ASCs on this date between 8AM and 3PM". This makes me think that times being set in the biometrics appointments in the end are not strict at all, and there's no need to worry in case they don't work out for you.

If your number is less than 27,800, go ahead and file immediately. Just look at this spreadsheet and see how many people with greencards (rows in green) filed their docs before they were current (compare the columns Current and AOS In Chicago): https: slash slash spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?authkey=CKu6h5UN&hl=en&key=tNhB2CVZoq1u42Zedti0PLw&hl=en&authkey=CKu6h5UN#gid=0

Hi, I need help.
My DV number is around EU27XXX and it is current in May. In this forum I read that some people sent their documents to Chicago before 1-2 month from their current month, such as current in May but send in April. So, I talked with officer from USCIS, and he said that I must wait May for sending the documents to Chicago for AOS. I am confused now, what will happen if I will send my documents now, because in the April visa bulletin, it is said that for May cut off number is 27800 for Eu and my number is current according to this (27xxx). Please help
Thanks

Hi Leynabee,

Is your stepdaughter going to do CP and immigrate to the US? If yes, then your situation is different and your lawyer is doing the right thing by preparing I-824. I really don't know what happens with DV fees that you have to pay to DoS for your stepdaughter in this case (i'd think it will need to be paid to the consulate), since our situation is different.

Hi Voxx,

I just got a call from my lawyer stating the same regarding the fees. But I am the winner (on H1B), my husband is here with me and came on an H4 visa. His daughter is still home and as you and newbee said, on the forms we have to list all children. I have a son that is a US citizen and was born last June (2 months after I received my first Notification letter). The lawyer said that he will file form 824 and take the receipt to the interview, that way, they will send the info needed to have her do CP at our home country.
I f I have more info, I'll update this.
Thanks.

Voxx, totally agree with you, ASC looked empty and I don't see any harm doing walk-ins.
We did a walk-in biometrics in ASC San Jose today. They didn't mind accepting us, with only caveat being "we will give priority to the people who have appointments scheduled for today". This meant nothing though considering there was no line at all.
Couple of interesting facts about San Jose biometrics. First, and I think I saw this already from someone else on this forum - we received two appointments, one from national center for 3/29, another one from USCIS San Jose field office, in one envelope with our interview appointment, for 3/30. Both were AFTER our interview date of 3/28, so we used that fact as official reason for doing a walk-in. In reality the reason of course was willing to get done with this process asap. Second, the one from national center has exact ASC and time of the appointment, while the one from the field office basically says "you can visit any of the following six ASCs on this date between 8AM and 3PM". This makes me think that times being set in the biometrics appointments in the end are not strict at all, and there's no need to worry in case they don't work out for you.

If your number is less than 27,800, go ahead and file immediately. Just look at this spreadsheet and see how many people with greencards (rows in green) filed their docs before they were current (compare the columns Current and AOS In Chicago): https: slash slash spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?authkey=CKu6h5UN&hl=en&key=tNhB2CVZoq1u42Zedti0PLw&hl=en&authkey=CKu6h5UN#gid=0

Hi Voxx,
Thanks for your reply. I want to ask some questions. First of all, after receiving the approval of AOS payment, I havent received the second letter from Kentucky(3 weeks past from this). Do you think must I wait the second letter or is it ok if I will send it to Chicago? Second question is, what will Chicago do if they will not accept my documents, will they send it back or must I prepare new documents? Thanks for your help

Here's your required list of documents to apply for AOS. You need first NL and payment receipt. Second NL is nowhere on it:
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=2df93a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD
Also, second NL is nowhere on any of the instructions for DV/AOS, so go ahead and file AOS.

For the second question, don't know, look it up on uscis site

Hi Voxx,
Thanks for your reply. I want to ask some questions. First of all, after receiving the approval of AOS payment, I havent received the second letter from Kentucky(3 weeks past from this). Do you think must I wait the second letter or is it ok if I will send it to Chicago? Second question is, what will Chicago do if they will not accept my documents, will they send it back or must I prepare new documents? Thanks for your help

TX1408,
Usually for RFE, you need to mail them the stuff they ask...and give you like 60 days to do so. In your case., i guess they simply wanted you to bring those docs to the interview, am I correct?
So if that is the case, I wouldn't call that RFE but more like making sure you bring them specific docs to the interview vs. the standard interview letter that some receive.
So please clarify whether you need to mail that in to them or asked to bring it to the interview.

Hi Can,
First please add your signature so that it is easier to help you and also helpful for others.
That USCIS officer simply stated what the book says...which is very much correct especially for employment based and family based that use priority dates...99% of the immigration cases. (maybe 1% is DV...probably even less...)
So, for priority dates you can't get advanced notification... But for DV they use rank numbers.
If you want to play it 100% safe, you can play it safe by mailing your package on April 30th...so that it would get there May 1st. That way you are guaranteed that they will not reject it. However, you can take a risk (which seems very little that they'll reject you), and mail it in today.

Hi, I need help.
Thanks

TX1408,
Usually for RFE, you need to mail them the stuff they ask...and give you like 60 days to do so. In your case., i guess they simply wanted you to bring those docs to the interview, am I correct?
So if that is the case, I wouldn't call that RFE but more like making sure you bring them specific docs to the interview vs. the standard interview letter that some receive.
So please clarify whether you need to mail that in to them or asked to bring it to the interview.

Hey Yomi,

I actually had to send them the docs (I sent them straight away). I got the interview letter 2 weeks after.
On another note, is it normal that my status update has never changed at all?

Yes, Voxx! She's going to immigrate to the US, whereas in your case, she's not. But I thought it was akward that the officer asked that question as we clearly said it on our forms. The fees should be paid at the consulate and that form I-824 will help in notifying the consulate to process her paperwork based on my approval.

Hi Leynabee,

Is your stepdaughter going to do CP and immigrate to the US? If yes, then your situation is different and your lawyer is doing the right thing by preparing I-824. I really don't know what happens with DV fees that you have to pay to DoS for your stepdaughter in this case (i'd think it will need to be paid to the consulate), since our situation is different.

Great. Good luck with your interview letter now. I am still waiting for the bio. appointment letter.

Hi feel! I am still waiting waiting for my biometrics letter too! It seems like our cases progress slower than the other people's cases! I had three NOAs one for 485, one for 754 and one for Advanced Parole! Is it the same for you?

Laplace