• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Since you are graduating this month you can find a job. They will be your sponsor (you can even tell them you are gonna [pay for everything yourself - 200- for a lawyer and 100- for the government) or apply for a tourist for 6 more months.

Karen, firstly ask to the USCIC by phone,

According to my experience do not apply anything or do not go out from USA. I am writing this because I suppose that you applied for "Work permit- EAD" and "Travel document-Advance parole" with your AOS, right?

I would suggest you to maintain your status by applying for OPT. You have not applied for AOS yet, so it should be fine, and I think your number would not be current soon at least not until Jun/July 2011. By that time you will get your OPT card. Again, its your decision.

Hi all,

I got selected and want to go with AOS as well. (2011 AS24XXX)
I am on F1 status and will be graduate this month (DEC/2011).
I am wondering... do I have to apply for OPT?

05/06/2010: NL1 received
05/21/2010: Forms DSP-122/230 sent
07/2/2010: 2NL received by mail
07/12/2010: SENT $440
07/31/10: Receipt received for AOS fee

Karen is not current yet and I think she has not sent her AOS packet yet. So, she should be fine if she applies for OPT now, shouldn't she?

Karen, firstly ask to the USCIC by phone,

According to my experience do not apply anything or do not go out from USA. I am writing this because I suppose that you applied for "Work permit- EAD" and "Travel document-Advance parole" with your AOS, right?

Yeah, after the grace period ends you are out of status if you do not apply for OPT, or change your status. Please note once you get OPT you can accumulate up to 90 days of unemployment days for a one year validity period.

Hi Nirvana,

Thank you for answering my question.

No, I did not fill out the form for "Work permit" yet...
Is the " work permit" form needs to send out with 485 form?
since my number is AS24xxx which is much higher then yours, and I think my number will not be current until Jun/2011,
so I have concern about the legal status to stay in the US .
(if i dont apply for OPT--> graduate this month (legally stay in US 2 months after graduate which will be the end of FEB/2011)
will I have any problem to stay in US from March to the time I get my GC??

I applied for Employment and travel documents together with GC. But I don't have any changes with my status for Empl and travel. I hope to get the GC next week, but I have know idea when I am gonna get the rest. Does any of you have LUD with travel and empl. doc-s?

Hi Lisa,

You can call the fbi name check phone number and they will let you know if the results were sent back to the USCIS. Information posted by Izzy below -

Those wanting to know if their name check cleared:
1. Call FBI National Name Check Customer Service @ 304-625-5590.
2. Select option 2 (for individual), then option 2 (Name Check for Immigration Status), then it will give you brief internet details and then it will provide you with the option to repeat the options, go back to main menu or speak with a rep., select speak with a rep. and wait to be connected.
3. NOTE: THEY ARE NOT UNDER ANY OBLIGATION TO PROVIDE YOU WITH YOUR NAME CHECK STATUS, THEY WILL ONLY TELL YOU WHEN IT WAS RECEIVED FROM USCIS AND WHEN (IF) IT WAS RETURNED TO USCIS.
4. Be very polite, don't push if you can't get an answer and try another time. Give your name (as a courtesy) and say you want to check the status of your finger print. They will ask you when you submitted the request. Tell them that it is for Green Card. They will then ask you for your A# (the one on your NOAs). They will only tell you when it was received and when it was returned (possibly cleared as any issues with name check can take weeks/months before it is returned to USCIS with "No Record" result).

This info is only to help those who are curious to know if their name check cleared. Good Luck!

I called USCIS hoping to get some clarification, but was unable talk to real person. Automatic machine gave the same info which is published on the site in my portfolio.

Maybe our background checks are not cleared (which would really suck)

Fellas,
I had my interview yesterday. It was very easy like everybody has said so far. the officer was very nice and only asked personal questions about my field of studies and life. He checked my passport and driver's license only and took my I-94 and asked if I had left the country ever-since I got here. He asked me if I have traveled inside the united states. It took 10-15 mins only. He also checked the yes/no questions on the I-485.
CPO was today.

I am wishing best for all of you and I understand how frustrating it could be for all of my friends here especially who applied in october. All I can say is pray and wait. time is on our side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fellas,
I had my interview yesterday. It was very easy like everybody has said so far. the officer was very nice and only asked personal questions about my field of studies and life. He checked my passport and driver's license only and asked if I had left the country ever-since I got here. He asked me if I have traveled inside the united states. It took 10-15 mins only. He also checked the yes/no questions on the I-485.
CPO was today.

I am wishing best for all of you and I understand how frustrating it could be for all of my friends here especially who applied in october. All I can say is pray and wait. time is on our side.

Congrats Khayat on your CPO, that's great news...

You are right feel, Karen needs to keep her status legal until the time she sends her package to Chicago. I would not recommend applying for tourist visa since applying for a new non immigrant visa and then applying for immigration after that would show conflict of intention. There was a post about this a while back.
like feel said, applying for opt should be fine.

Karen is not current yet and I think she has not sent her AOS packet yet. So, she should be fine if she applies for OPT now, shouldn't she?

one way to contact Missouri service center directly (which handles the lottery cases is as follows):
* Call 1-800-375-5283;
* Press 2 to check the status of an application;
* Press 1 if you know your receipt number;
* Enter your 13-character case number (ignore dashes, use 772 for SRC, 546 for LIN, etc.);
* Press 1 to confirm the number you entered;
* Listen to the current status of your case.

After listening to your case status as described above, you will be presented with options to reach the service center that is processing your case.
press 0 and then it will connect you to MSC.

Congrats fren

Fellas,
I had my interview yesterday. It was very easy like everybody has said so far. the officer was very nice and only asked personal questions about my field of studies and life. He checked my passport and driver's license only and asked if I had left the country ever-since I got here. He asked me if I have traveled inside the united states. It took 10-15 mins only. He also checked the yes/no questions on the I-485.
CPO was today.

Fellas,
CPO was today.

Congratulations Khayat !!! After a long pause we are hearing a good news from our forum members..

I would suggest you to maintain your status by applying for OPT. You have not applied for AOS yet, so it should be fine, and I think your number would not be current soon at least not until Jun/July 2011. By that time you will get your OPT card. Again, its your decision.

I agree, Karen you should apply for your OPT right now, the EAD card will probably get to you before if not by Feb/March if you apply now.... that will give you the option to work before you submit your AOS packet in June/July or whenever your number becomes current. If your visa number is not current (i.e. you have not submitted your AOS packet) and you don't submit your OPT petition when you graduate, you're technically out of status.

Note: You are allowed to apply for OPT 90 days before date of graduation.

I applied for Employment and travel documents together with GC. But I don't have any changes with my status for Empl and travel. I hope to get the GC next week, but I have know idea when I am gonna get the rest. Does any of you have LUD with travel and empl. doc-s?

Antin,

Since you already got the welcome notice, I doubt you will be receiving the EAD and AP (or receiving any kind of LUD on it), I never got mine either since the GC was already on its way...You will see an update online when the GC is being sent out... give it another couple of days.. =)

CONGRATS TO KHAYAT !!!
Regarding the waiting time for the interview letter, unfortunatelly, it seems that some people get really fast, others just don't! It is one of the immigration great mysteries!! Actually, i went back on the begining of December on the 2010 aos forum (~page 54) and they were complaning about the exactly same thing. And if you look at some signatures, you will realize that some people wait months for the interview letter! :(

I called KCC at 606-526-7500 to find out that my DV file was sent to my local field office.

Thanks. I called them and they told me my file has not been requested, so I should get in touch with my CIS(? what is that anyway). I think I'm just gonna wait for @ least 30 days. My only concern right now is that I filed for I-131 and I'm travelling on the 21st of December. Given that my stuff entered their system on the 2nd of November, should I just start making alternate plans?

Thanks to everyone for you your diligence in answering fellow selectees' questions :).