• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Dear DV Winners,

I need some help to fill out my I485, i know some questions might sound silly, but i d rather go into depth little detail:

1/ to the question C/O care of: i guess the answer if myself, right? should i write 'myself" or "first and last name" or "last name and first name"?

2/We have to write our initials on each page: in what order? first and last name initials or last/first name? should I write the date as well? should my initials appear on the left or right corner at the bottom of the page?

3/for the question what is your current uscis status (part 1), should i write exchange visitor or j1? or both?

4/ part 3: give your name exactly as it appears on I94: it should be last name and then first name, right? can anybody confirm this order?

5/part 5: i can not enter my full birth date!!! are u guys experiencing the same problem? do u write it in the extra page? or do u enter it as xx/xx/83 and not xx/xx/1983?

6/ signature of the applicant: can this be handwriting? or should i get a scan of my signature?

thanks for your help!!!!
ps: it feels so great to fill out those paperworks!!!! am so exciting for all of us!!!

Hey Guys.
11 more days to go, before the FY year starts and we can send in the AOS package ( for those current in October).
Just a quick question for those that have been around for a long time in this forum and the DV2010 forum, did you guys heard of any AOS cases who have been denied , if yes, what were the reasons.
Thanks.

natta,
there have been cases but they tend to drop off the forum. i have read some cases that went into ap (administrative processing). when this happens, there are usually major problems with their cases. and these people never came back to tell us what happened ... my guess is that they never got approved.

Dear All,

i ve got a question: i am filling the I485 out and it says in the instructions that we have to write our number of alien on the back of the photo. From my understanding of this thread and the 2010 thread, i thought at this time we do not have any alien number. i thought we would get one when our application would be received and would be in acceptance status. When and how exactly do we get this number of alien? should i already have had one? if not, can i write my case number?

Dima, i dont know if people on OPT have specific rules for taxes. If not, and u have been working using yr OPT since february 09, u should have had submit yr tax return in April 2010. Even if u have low income and u do not owe anything, u have to fill the form 1040, no matter what. It is NOT TOO LATE. I ve been dealing with my old company for teh same situation, they re taking care of it and submitting my income to IRS by completing form 1099. then they will give me a copy. then i ll fill the 1040 tax return form. This should go very fast. just go see the three companies u worked at and have them doing so (companis that gave u paycheck)

Dear Frenchie,
I'm sorry but it was a typo. I meant that my OPT started on February 2010. Is it still valid?
Also, will I have to get the tax return forms ONLY from employers that paid me a payment stub (check)?
If you could maybe send me a private massage regarding the procedure because I don't have much ideas about taxes and all.
Thanks a bunch!

first of all, great forum !
ok - read myself through lots of threads and called all the important departments.
still a few unsolved questions as the one side told mit this and the other that .

1. uscis tells me, they don't care about any additional supporting documents such as highschool diploma, CV and that there's never an interview unless there's dramatic unknowns to be solved .
2. if they don't want to see the highschool diploma, well who and how are they prooving that the ONLY requirement to participate in the DV lottery is actually being fullfilled ?

again, this is what the USCIS lady told me on the phone, no interview, no high school diploma to be sent along the i-485 and no supporting documents about yourself ?

thanks for bringing light into this. please only well researched information, maybe from your own successfull experience, i think this would help a lot of other readers and posters here.

ok - read myself through lots of threads..........

I do not think so....if you did, you wouldn't be asking these Qs!!
Read them again.....carefully.

The answers you got from 'officers' were wrong. Just another instance of mis-info from ill-informed front line 'reps'!

Best!

Hey guys help me out

Hey Khayat ..thank you for Welcoming me .Ya ,now then seems like if my case will be current by 2011,august or September and if I fly back to my country inorder to process through CP ,there are high chances of being interviewd right.If it's like ,then I might wanna change my processing to CP undoubtedly.
Is there any kind of letter before i will receive the letter for my interview cause I will be bearing huge risk flying back.
One more question ,do you think even if I change AOS to CP ,is it ok for me to send $440 to DOS?

ok - read myself through lots of threads and called all the important departments.
still a few unsolved questions as the one side told mit this and the other that .

1. uscis tells me, they don't care about any additional supporting documents such as highschool diploma, CV and that there's never an interview unless there's dramatic unknowns to be solved .
2. if they don't want to see the highschool diploma, well who and how are they prooving that the ONLY requirement to participate in the DV lottery is actually being fullfilled ?

again, this is what the USCIS lady told me on the phone, no interview, no high school diploma to be sent along the i-485 and no supporting documents about yourself ?

thanks for bringing light into this. please only well researched information, maybe from your own successfull experience, i think this would help a lot of other readers and posters here.

I would not dare sending my I-485 package without including my high school diploma. USCIS does need to check if the DV winner has met the eligibility requirement. The lady who told you something else on the phone is probably unfamiliar with the DV process as many immigration officers and lawyers are.

It's true that sometimes you get your GC without an interview, but that's rare as far as I know. Most applicants from the previous AOS threads went through an interview, though I remember, there was a case when somebody got approved without an interview because his company was able to provide a letter praising him as a highly valuable employee who was working in the tech industry.

Khayat,

You could leave it blank or write "n/a". I have heard/seen of cases (esp. EADs, well not really DV AoS but EB based mostly) with name appearing on EAD cards as lets say "John NONE Doe". I guess with I-765 you could leave it blank (I was going through my prior EAD applications and had left the middle name section blank and got the cards just fine. I have written "no middle name" in the past as well to be clear which was just fine...Anyway, this time, I left mine blank on 765 but wrote "none" for I-485.

guys,
Got a quick question: I do not have a middle name, I have always left it blank in forms but here I am printing NONE. Feels to me like it might become confusing. What do you guys think?

Dear ALL,
I just sent my DOS fee and few questions about my next step.
1) What is A#, do we need it? if yes how do we get it?
2) How to do our medical? Do i just go to a doctor? I heard there is like doctors specially allocated for this DV process. Is that true?
3) What is FO? Is it field office? Is it also called called local USCIS? I live in Norfolk, Virginia, so which one is my field office or local USCIS office?
4) Do we have a format for the Birth Certificate, i saw one before in one of the forums but really need the Birth Certificate Sample so i can make mine.
5) What is Form G-325A - Biographic Information?

Thank you for any help. Really This forum is just the best. Its like having your personal legal advisor :).
you all have a great day.

Saajin,

I agree with khayat. It all depends on the monthly visa bulletin. This year, it started off with very high numbers so you never know when you might become current. Keep an eye on the VB, you don't have to make that decision right now, if in the end of FY maybe around august or september when all CNs become CURRENT, you will have the advantage of applying 50 days in advance or when you see your CN current in the VB, and around the end of FY, the processing of cases are comparatively faster. But definitely keep your options open. I would hold off on sending the $440 to DOS until around the time your CN becomes current but allow yourself enough time to get the receipt back on time to include with your AoS. By that time, you will know if you want to do CP or AoS. If you decide to go with CP (which you have to arrange with KCC) KCC will notify you of your interview appointment via NL2 in about 6-8 weeks before you number becomes current. In the meantime, read this and 2010 thread, there are many folks from 2010 with high case numbers who were able to get their GC. Good Luck!

Hi guys..I am new to this forum.I wish I had gone through this much of information before,my bad.But anyways it's never late to start good thing.I could just go thoroughly to all of yours reviews and comments on each other.
Coming back to the point,I am also a 2011 DV lottery winner.
My case number-2011AS39***.

Seems like it is a very high case number .
Till now what I have done is filled out dsp122,ds230 part 1and 2 along with 2photographs.after tht I have received the notification letter from KCC mentioning about my authority to update status between October 1st to September 30,2011.
Reading all of your provided information ,it seems like I should have done CP .
The only problem I have is my OPT also starts from October 1st and ends at 30th September 2011.If I go back to my country and even if my CN became current but if I won't be receiving 2nd letter for interview I will have problems returning back to USA.
What do you suggest guys ?What's better for me and what are the next steps to follow.I haven't sent the amount of440$ to DS yet.What say guys.Help me out.Last but not the least,if I want to do CP ,is it possible now?How and if not why?Thank you guys.

Frenchiechs,

If you ever applied for EAD through OPT or had H1B or other kinds of work permit, you would be assigned an Alien Registration Number aka A# which you can find on Notice of Actions sent to you by USCIS or on EAD cards. If you don't have one or don't know, simply put "n/a". This unique A# makes it easier for them to locate any prior files on you but if you don't have one, they will use your full name and DOB to search if you had one, if not they will assign one for you. On the back of your photos, write your full name and DOB (if you don't have A#). You can also include your DV case number.

Dear All,

i ve got a question: i am filling the I485 out and it says in the instructions that we have to write our number of alien on the back of the photo. From my understanding of this thread and the 2010 thread, i thought at this time we do not have any alien number. i thought we would get one when our application would be received and would be in acceptance status. When and how exactly do we get this number of alien? should i already have had one? if not, can i write my case number?

Natta,

You will be in my thoughts and prayers that the process will go very smoothly for you, you have done the best you humanely could. Don't stress too much and remain positive. You have my best.

Hey Khayat.
Thanks for the reply. I am just so stressed out about the whole process in general. I pray it will end up good for everyone.

Thank you so much Izzy
I hope you have a short journey as you are current in October, and wish you all the best as you deserve it , as you put so much time and effort into this forum helping other people.
P.S. Something out of topic: every time I see your username Izzy, it reminds me of Grey's Anathomy, Izzy Stevens , played by Katherine Heigl :) I watched all the seasons :)
Natta,

You will be in my thoughts and prayers that the process will go very smoothly for you, you have done the best you humanely could. Don't stress too much and remain positive. You have my best.

Frenchichs,

1. In the address section of any document, the “care of” line is for names only, such as an attorney, firm/organization, or a building. Do not put a street address in the “care of” section. You can write "n/a" or if you really want to put your name there, I guess it won't hurt either.
2. I am not sure what you are talking about, if you are asking about including your name and CN on each and every forms/evidence, then you could do so however you please. But you don't have to initial and sign each and every page.
3. You can write: J-1 (exchange visitor)
4. How does your name appear on your I-94? Last name first or First name first? It is self-explanatory.
5. Type only the numbers, ie. do not type "/", the form will automatically do that for you!!!
6. Are you serious? Did you read the instructions at all? I am not going to answer this because it is not a rocket science, use your common sense, what do you think? Jeez you crack me up!!!

Good Luck!

Dear DV Winners,
I need some help to fill out my I485, i know some questions might sound silly, but i d rather go into depth little detail
1/ to the question C/O care of: i guess the answer if myself, right? should i write 'myself" or "first and last name" or "last name and first name"?
2/We have to write our initials on each page: in what order? first and last name initials or last/first name? should I write the date as well? should my initials appear on the left or right corner at the bottom of the page?
3/for the question what is your current uscis status (part 1), should i write exchange visitor or j1? or both?
4/ part 3: give your name exactly as it appears on I94: it should be last name and then first name, right? can anybody confirm this order?
5/part 5: i can not enter my full birth date!!! are u guys experiencing the same problem? do u write it in the extra page? or do u enter it as xx/xx/83 and not xx/xx/1983?
6/ signature of the applicant: can this be handwriting? or should i get a scan of my signature?

thanks for your help!!!!
ps: it feels so great to fill out those paperworks!!!! am so exciting for all of us!!!

Hello all,

Question regarding the diplomas/translations:

- would a translator translate copies of diplomas or would they require originals?
- if copies are tolerated, is it ok if they're shrunk to letter format, or do they have to be full size (diplomas are usually big)

Hansdampf...,

What you need to do is read this thread (at least) thoroughly from the first page. Everything you read is based on people's experience and their knowledge (that they gained through putting their time and effort into researching). Your "please only well researched information" kind of attitude will get you nowhere, do it yourself!

Sdang,

Have you been following this thread at all? All the questions you asked have been answered before and most answers lie in the instructions forms. So, please read those first. Here is a starting point:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=2df93a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

You can go to USCIS website and find a link to "Find a Civil Surgeon" to find a doctor who can complete the form I-693 for you.

If you indicated "BCIS" on your DSP 122 then, you will be assigned a USCIS Field Office (or FO for short) based on your zip code. Your Birth certificate MUST contain the following per USCIS guidelines: your full name, date of birth, place of birth, names of both parents.

Good Luck!

Dear ALL,
I just sent my DOS fee and few questions about my next step.
1) What is A#, do we need it? if yes how do we get it?
2) How to do our medical? Do i just go to a doctor? I heard there is like doctors specially allocated for this DV process. Is that true?
3) What is FO? Is it field office? Is it also called called local USCIS? I live in Norfolk, Virginia, so which one is my field office or local USCIS office?
4) Do we have a format for the Birth Certificate, i saw one before in one of the forums but really need the Birth Certificate Sample so i can make mine.
5) What is Form G-325A - Biographic Information?

Thank you for any help. Really This forum is just the best. Its like having your personal legal advisor :).
you all have a great day.

Sob,

They would most probably need to see your originals. I had mine translated in government offices, so they needed to see them. You should ask where you intend to have them translated if they accept copies.

PS: I called USCIS a while back regarding translation requirements and I was told that as long as the person certifies that s/he is fluent in both languages and can sign an affidavit saying the translation is "true and accurate" any person not directly benefiting from the process can do the translation for you. This is what I was told, but call them yourself to see about the translation requirements.

Hello all,

Question regarding the diplomas/translations:

- would a translator translate copies of diplomas or would they require originals?
- if copies are tolerated, is it ok if they're shrunk to letter format, or do they have to be full size (diplomas are usually big)

Last edited by a moderator: