• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Guys,

I am confused again.
Some people said that we need to pay the DV fee for $375 first before you can get the 2nd NL.
Some people said you can wait until you get the 2nd NL before paying the fee. Which is the right one? What if we already paid the fee but do not get the 2nd NL?
Please help, thanks.

keepkeep

It does not matter. You can wait until you get the NL2 and send the fee (they will ask you to pay the fee in the NL2), which is what most people do. Or you can send it before you get the NL2. One thing you should remember is the time DOS will take to send the receipt back with "paid" which you will need in order to include with your AOS package. So, make sure that you have the receipt marked "paid" by DOS available before you send the AOS package. Refer to the DOS website, it will guide you to the form that you should use, who you should make it payable to, and other requirements:

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/visa_4762.html

For your convenience, I have pasted the following from the website:

"If USCIS determines that you are eligible to adjust status you will be required to pay a non-refundable diversity visa fee directly to the Department of State. This fee is assessed to cover the cost incurred by the Department in running the DV Program and is separate from any fees you will need to pay USCIS as part of your adjustment application. You must pay the diversity visa fee for yourself and for each member of your immediate family who plans to adjust status with you in the U.S.

You must complete payment of the Diversity Visa fee before processing your case can continue. Follow the instructions on the Adjustment of Status Fee Payment webpage. Bring the receipt that is mailed back to you to your interview at USCIS. Please include your DV case number on your cashier’s check or postal money order. The address on the receipt form should be used only for fee payment. "

And the form itself can be found here:

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/visa_4763.html

Hope this helps.

Guys,

I am confused again.
Some people said that we need to pay the DV fee for $375 first before you can get the 2nd NL.
Some people said you can wait until you get the 2nd NL before paying the fee. Which is the right one? What if we already paid the fee but do not get the 2nd NL?
Please help, thanks.

keepkeep
Hi, there is no any deadline to pay DOS fee but you have to add the paid receipt to your I-485 package. As far as I read on previous forums, there were some problems about this DOS fee. ( they sent the checks to the right adress that DOS declared on the website but checks were sent back wrongly etc..) so it's advisable to finish this fee sending process as early as possible not to waste your time. At least , it would be nice to have this receipt before you file the AOS package.

thanks for the useful input Izzy....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all again,

Thanks for all these valuable info. I have one more question. My case number is 2011EU00025XXX. I assume it will be current in March/April 2011. How long do you think the whole AOS process take? Do you think I can complete the application by September if I apply in April?

I read in the 2010 AOS thread that one can actually send the I-485 forms once you see your number is estimated to be current in the previous month's Visa Bulletin. So does this mean that we can send the forms before our number actually becomes current?

Thanks Izzy120 and umuteren,

I just have one more question. I already sent the DSP-122 + pics + barcode to KCC.
Are we supposed to get any notifications from KCC that they have already received it?
My delivery confirmation stated that it has been delivered, but I haven't received any notification from KCC itself.
I just want to make sure that they really get the docs.
Thanks.

keepkeep

Guys , I sent the DSP122+2 photos + DS230 only with no high scholl degree transcript, it this right or did i make a mistake ?

Thanks for the detailed and helpful message

Khayat and Zahidal and everyone else,

USCIS is right in saying that you should apply "when your number becomes current" and it is frustrating that they won't say anything more than that. AND KCC is right in saying "contact local USCIS to see if you are eligible." But that really does not help us. I do not know for what reasons, both KCC and USCIS refuse to fill in on the process in between. No, I did not go to the local USCIS office because I wasn't expecting a better answer than that. I have read from 2010 thread that once people started getting NL1 and went to local USCIS offices, all they wanted to know was if they had received the NL2 and paid the DOS fee, if they had, THEN they would start talking, and even then, they won't do anything more than give you a huge bundle of AOS package and say "send it when your number becomes current."

Luckily, on my several attempts in calling USCIS, I spoke with one lady (who in fact was from DV Dept.). She explained the process to me. I basically expressed my frustration with the runaround both KCC and USCIS was giving me. Acting ignorant, I asked her, how would I know if I am eligible to apply for AOS, and she said that as long as you have been in legal status in the US, you can adjust to status, not satisfied, I told her, I am on H4, so I am eligible right? And she said, yes, as long as you have been in a legal non-immigrant status. Then I told her about the KCC instructions on the NL1, and she told me, do what they are asking you to do, you need to inform them that you will be adjusting to status, they will ask you to pay the DV fee, send the fee, and keep the receipt as you will need it to send it with the AOS package (so that the USCIS VO working on your file will know you are adjusting to status based on DV, also include the winning letter, that is your proof that you are a DV winner). This in fact is outlined on the 485 instructions. Then she said, once you pay the fee, KCC will forward the file to USCIS and will no longer be responsible for your case (which is also outlined in the DOS webpage for AOS). And she told me, then you basically wait for your number to become current. She asked me if I knew how to read the VB, I said yes. She asked me if I wanted her to explain the AOS process, I said, sure. So, she said that when your number becomes current, make sure you have all the documentation for AOS (which is outlined on the USCIS DV AOS webpage) and send the complete application to USCIS as soon as possible and you will receive notice of action sometime later, then you just wait for further instructions on biometrics, the date and place will be assigned to you for that.

I must admit that although most people working in USCIS and KCC are overworked frustrated people, who are always grumpy and not willing to say more than they are required to, there are in fact, very few people who are willing to help. There was another guy I spoke with, he was nice and was willing to help too, but he was not that well informed and basically read to me from some document or something. After that, I basically started doing my research, put the pieces together, I suggest you all definitely do some reading on the USCIS webpage for DV AOS, including all the forms and the instructions, you will be able to put the pieces together. You would think that this would be an easier process, but it is once you know the basics.

Again, in my case, I sent both the forms, plus pictures, plus a cover letter to KCC indicating in bold that I will be doing AOS. This is what I did because it felt right and safer than not sending anything to KCC. Sending these forms back to KCC basically means that you want to pursue the DV thing and it lets KCC know about it and about your decision whether to do AOS or CP, then they will take it from there.

Hope this helps guys... :) :)

no, you will get the NL2 around July or August.

I just have one more question. I already sent the DSP-122 + pics + barcode to KCC.
Are we supposed to get any notifications from KCC that they have already received it?
My delivery confirmation stated that it has been delivered, but I haven't received any notification from KCC itself.
Thanks.

keepkeep

Thanks.

keepkeep

They will not infrom recept, for AoS you do not get 2nd NL.
After about a week just call KCC and see your case update, whether they rcvd your DSP122 etc. and that you're on USCIS option.

Another important thing, confirm with KCC that your dependents/derivatives are properly in your case file, that they (or you) have NOT missed including anyone.

Hello,
my case number 2011AS000014XXX. I am in the US in F1 status. Please suggest me if it is better to go for an AOS or a CP. Your suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Hi everyone,
I emailed a question to KCC if I can switch from AOS to CP if there is any problem with the process.Thats the answer they sent me :
KCC cannot advise you as to which method you should use to process your case. If you are currently living in the US, you may be eligible to adjust your status here without returning to your country. If you are interested in doing this, you should contact your local CIS office by calling 1-800-375-5283 to determine if you are eligible to do so. The CIS will provide you with information regarding the process of filing an adjustment of status. Otherwise, you may choose to follow the instructions for processing at the embassy. Regardless of which route you choose to follow, your case must be completely processed prior to September 30 of the program year (i.e. DV 2011 cases must be processed prior to September 30, 2011). If your case number becomes current but does not finish processing prior to this date, your case will be closed and no further action can be taken on it.

KCC Diversity Visa

Kentucky Consular Center/rch

Email: KCCDV@state.gov

Phone: (606) 526-7500

Any information in this transmission pertaining to the issuance or refusal of visas or permits to enter the United States shall be considered confidential under Section 222 (f) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) [8 U.S.C. Section 1202]. Access to and use of such information must be solely for the formulation, amendment, administration, or enforcement of the immigration, nationality, and other laws of the United States under INA 222(f) and as specified in FAM guidance. If you have received such information in error, do not review, retransmit, disclose, disseminate, use, or take any action in reliance upon this information, and contact the sender as soon as possible.

This email is Sensitive but Unclassified based on the definitions provided in 12 FAM 540.

It looks like it it might be possible to switch from AOS to CP by filling I-824.

USCIS website states:

Purpose of Form :

To request a duplicate approval notice, to request an approval notice be sent to another U.S. Consulate, or to request an approval notice be sent to a U.S. Consulate for derivative visas for family members.

Where to File :

File this form with a USCIS Lockbox facility. See chart of filing locations by clicking on the “Related Link” in the upper right corner of this page.

If you are filing form I-824 with another USCIS form, mail your applications according to the filing instructions of the other form.

Note: USCIS will not process Form I-824 if your petition or application has been denied or has not yet been approved.

This form must not be used to verify the status of a pending petition or application.

uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=dd153591ec04d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Hi everyone,
I emailed a question to KCC if I can switch from AOS to CP if there is any problem with the process.Thats the answer they sent me :
KCC cannot advise you as to which method you should use to process your case. If you are currently living in the US, you may be eligible to adjust your status here without returning to your country. If you are interested in doing this, you should contact your local CIS office by calling 1-800-375-5283 to determine if you are eligible to do so. The CIS will provide you with information regarding the process of filing an adjustment of status. Otherwise, you may choose to follow the instructions for processing at the embassy. Regardless of which route you choose to follow, your case must be completely processed prior to September 30 of the program year (i.e. DV 2011 cases must be processed prior to September 30, 2011). If your case number becomes current but does not finish processing prior to this date, your case will be closed and no further action can be taken on it.

KCC Diversity Visa

Kentucky Consular Center/rch

Email: KCCDV@state.gov

Phone: (606) 526-7500

Any information in this transmission pertaining to the issuance or refusal of visas or permits to enter the United States shall be considered confidential under Section 222 (f) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) [8 U.S.C. Section 1202]. Access to and use of such information must be solely for the formulation, amendment, administration, or enforcement of the immigration, nationality, and other laws of the United States under INA 222(f) and as specified in FAM guidance. If you have received such information in error, do not review, retransmit, disclose, disseminate, use, or take any action in reliance upon this information, and contact the sender as soon as possible.

This email is Sensitive but Unclassified based on the definitions provided in 12 FAM 540.

Hello,
my case number 2011AS000014XXX. I am in the US in F1 status. Please suggest me if it is better to go for an AOS or a CP. Your suggestions will be highly appreciated.

You are kind of in the border, Either way it should work for you I guess

hi guys,

when answering the question #4 of the form 122, did you just say "BCIS" or you mentioned your local USCIS address?

I am sending my stuff tomorrow, after 2 weeks of investigation i decided to do AOS this is getting super complicated and every person i email, call or talk to gives different answer. I do what I am supposed to, whatever happens is out of my hand. best wishes for all of us.

Hello,

In DS-230 in item #33 "list all educational institutions..." question, will I write the schools that i've attended but not completed or have a degree?

e.g. i started my masters degree, continued one year, but then i dropped the school. i didn't get a degree. should i list this university?

thanks

"SEND BACK 122 + 212 ON 04 30 2010
SEND PAYEMENT TO DOS ON 04 30 2010"

Hello, Joeobih!!!!
Could you please tell me if you received any confirmation from DOS about you payment? I sent my money order to DOS on 05/10/2010. Still haven't gotten anything......

DSP-122:
if I not claim to have a job with 2 years experience, etc. do I still have to list all the employers of the last 5 years?
advice much appreciated

hi yoni
i have a simular situation like you but different approved case I 130 brother of a us citizen
my big advise for you is to contact a good good good lawer like a i did don't wait time . in which state do you live now i'm in jersey i can send you the number of my lawer if he can do something in your case he will take it if no he will tell you
good luck
ps : i'm not doing advertising for no one but i'm just trying to help so please undrestand my situation or propose something better thanks