• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 Lucky winners from Nigeria meet HERE!

'Testing' of Education Qualifications.

I can understand that the US consular officers are under immense pressure all over the world to stop fraud. But when it comes to evaluating educational credentials the Nigerian post seems to be brazenly violating their own guidelines. They should have had better methods in place as suggested in their own 9FAM 42.33.

I am basing this conclusion after reading many of this forum posts, how they routinely conduct 'oral testing' of a candidate's knowledge.

It is very unfortunate that applicants have no recourse to challenge this practice by requesting an admin review or by taking it to judiciary.

This is what 9FAM say specifically for DV applicants;

9 FAM 42.33 N7.3 Education Evaluation

....b. A DV refusal must be based on evidence that the alien did not in fact
obtain the required degree and not on your assessment of the alien's
knowledge level. You may not administer an exam, either oral or written,
to test an applicant’s basic knowledge in order to determine whether they
have the equivalent of a U.S. high school education. You may not refuse
a DV applicant solely on the basis of your analysis of the applicant's basic
knowledge. Doubts about the applicant’s claimed educational level raised
by your interview, however, may lead you to investigate the authenticity
of the educational credentials claimed by the DV applicant.

Full details of these and other guidelines to evaluate DV CP applications is found here
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87838.pdf

also check all that is applicable to DV category under 42.33 in the following link
http://www.state.gov/m/a/dir/regs/fam/09fam/c22753.htm

with utmost respect for those who say there is nothing we can do, I BEG TO DIFFER.

If this document is authentic, then people should not just roll over and play dead after paying N125,000! To all those who have not yet interviewed, if you are nervous about answering the types of questions that others have been asked, PRINT this document and TAKE it with you to the interview.

If they deny you, SHOW it to the CO and INFORM them that you will report them to the US Department of State if they do not do the due diligence to verify your credentials instead of denying you off the bat. Let them know that you are not used to answering questions under circumstances similar to that which applicants face in the embassy.
I am all about peace, so please do not raise your voice or be aggressive. Instead be assertive and act like the informed citizen that you are. When enough people that are denied do the same thing, they WILL CHANGE. When the Department of State gets enough complaints, something will happen.

The way i see it, you have nothing to lose. If you simply turn and walk away, you wont get the visa. If you stay and assert your rights, you still stand a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dv visa denial in nigeria

HI, I MUST WRITE TO COMMENT ABOUT THE ISSUE OF DV VISA DENIAL AT THE EMBASSY. TO BE HONEST,I AGREE WITH FREEDOMOO7. THE TEXT CLEARLY STATES WHAT THE CONSULAR OFFICERS ARE SUPPOSED TO BASE THEIR JUDGMENT ON, AND NOT ABOUT WHAT THEY FEEL. ITS NOT REALLY THEIR PERSONAL WILL TO DETERMINE IF TO GIVE YOU THE VISA OR NOT, BUT RATHER IF THE VISA APPLICANT MEETS THE EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENT OR NOT, AND IF THEY DOUBT IT, THEY CAN VERIFY. I MAY HAVE HAD GOOD GRADES IN MATHS WHEN I WAS PREPARING FOR MY EXAMS, THAT DOESN'T MEAN I SHOULD AT ALL TIMES KNOW HOW TO SOLVE ALL THE QUESTIONS IN MATHS ESPECIALLY IF I CHOOSE TO SPECIALIZE IN SOMETHING ELSE AFTER THAT. FROM PAST INTERVIEW POSTINGS, IT SEEMS WHEN THEY SEE YOU HAD THIS GRADE IN THIS SUBJECTS, THEY ASK QUESTIONS FROM THERE. WELL ITS REALLY A SAD SITUATION FOR NIGERIANS WHO GET DENIED THEIR GENUINELY DESERVED VISAS BECAUSE OF CONSULAR OFFICERS WHO CHOOSE TO DO THINGS OUT OF THE GUIDELINES PROVIDED TO THEM. THE SITUATION IN CAMEROON, GHANA, SOUTH AFRICA, AND SOME OTHER AFRICAN COUNTRIES IS REALLY DIFFERENT. TO BE HONEST I THINK A COUPLE OF PEOPLE SHOULD WRITE TO KCC OR WHICH EVER DEPARTMENT IS DIRECTLY CONCERN, AND WHILE DOING SO, MAKE REFERENCE TO THE TEXT GUIDELINE SPECIFYING WHAT THE CONSULAR OFFICERS SHOULD BASE THEIR JUDGMENT ON. THERE WAS ONCE A SIMILAR SITUATION IN CAMEROON, AND IN A DAY, A LADY CONSULAR OFFICER FOR HER OWN REASON DENIED VISAS TO ALL APPLICANT FOR THAT DAY.( MAYBE HER BOYFRIEND DUMP HER OR SOMETHING, AND SHE WAS TRANSFERRING AGGRESSIONS)HAHAHAHA. BUT SHE WAS REPORTED AND REMOVED FROM THAT DEPARTMENT. BUT PLEASE I THINK ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN DENIED VISAS SHOULD WRITE AND PLEASE QUOTE THEIR CASE NUMBERS SO THAT THEY CAN USE IT AS REFERENCE. THEY MAY STILL HAVE A CHANCE. AND I THINK THE US GOVERNMENT WILL ACT.
PLEASE ITS JUST A SUGGESTION AND I THINK ONLY WHERE THERE IS A PEACEFUL REVOLUTION, CAN THERE EVER BE A CHANGE.

@ PETIT AND OTHERS, PLEASE WHY IS IT THAT ONLY GIRLS WHERE ADVICE TO LEARN HOW TO STYLE HAIR? BOYS PLEASE ALSO LEARN IT, YOU WILL EVEN HAVE MORE CHANCES AND MAKE BETTER STYLIST THAN GIRLS.

PHILL
ATLANTA, GA

CASE NO: 2010AF000010**
NL Received 28th march 2009
sent to KCC 5th/ April/ 2009
2nd NL received on 14/9/09
Appointment for medicals 30/09/2009
Medicals started & completed on 1st/10/2009
Medical results collected on 2nd/10/2009
Interview scheduled for 19th Oct. 2009
Interview successful on the 19th/10/2009
VISA to be picked up on Thursday 29th/10/2009
VISA PICKED UP AT 4:14PM ON 29TH/10/2009
DEPARTED FOR THE STATES AT 2AM/ 27TH/ NOV. 2009.
PORT OF ENTRY: NEW YORK JFK INTERNATIONAL AIR PORT.
RESIDENCE: ATLANTA,GA

-----------------------------
Our help is in the name of the LORD PS.124:8

THE SITUATION IN CAMEROON, GHANA, SOUTH AFRICA, AND SOME OTHER AFRICAN COUNTRIES IS REALLY DIFFERENT. -----------------------------
Our help is in the name of the LORD PS.124:8

What do you mean about the issue with South Africa?

at phil, olubu didnt refer to women alone o, anyone could do it. House, my koko is making our mouth water o.

MY INTERVIEW EXPERIENCE
I woke up around 4:15 am yesterday and started to prepare. I left the house at 5am. I chartered a taxi to the embassy. At 5:28 am I got to the embassy, at the embassy I realized one man had been there earlier before me. I approached the main gate of the embassy and asked the security man where to wait, he told me the embassy opens at 7:30am and that I should wait under the trees that were about 100 metres from the embassy. I went back to wait under the trees, back at the trees I saw the man who had come earlier before me, I was wondering at what time he might have come to the embassy, anyway I never made any attempts to speak with him. In about 15 minutes a taxi pulled by, in it was a family of 5, two boys and a girl with their parents, at that moment I guessed they were also coming for an immigrant visa interview. I was praying to myself for the clock to tick faster, at that moment I regretted for being at the embassy so early. After 6 am a lot of people started trooping in.

At 7:35 am one of the embassy guards opened the gates to the entrance, everyone started walking towards the gate even though we hadn’t been called, I decided to follow the crowd and walk with them to the gate. At the gate the security guard told us to go back and that they would call us when they were ready, no one really wanted to go back as we kept standing by the gate. Another security man inside the embassy came out and told the security man with us not to attend to us if we were not willing to go back. I realized the reason why people were unwilling to go back was because everyone wanted to be first to enter the embassy, after about 7 minutes the 2 security guards came outside. One mentioned that all those with the green cards should come forward. I stepped forward only to be told by one of the security guards that he was not referring to immigrant visa applicants, later I got to know that those with the green cards were supposed to be interviewed last week Friday but due to certain reasons were not interviewed, they were given those green cards just to enable them gain first entry to the embassy. Next we were told to form 2 queues, Immigrant cases to the left and non-immigrant cases to the right. I was the first in the queue of the Immigrant cases. The man I came to meet at the embassy was standing besides me. He walked over to talk to one of the security guards. I realized he was an American citizen because he had an American passport, all I heard the security man tell him was services for American citizens start at 8:30am. We were asked to bring out our appointment letters. They would look at the name on the letter and check their sheet to see whether or not you have an appointment. I was inspected by one of the security guards and told to enter. I entered into a room where my phone was collected and kept at a secured place and I was given a number. I was asked to show the number on my way out and claim back my phone. I passed through a metal detector to make sure I was ok and was not carrying any unwanted objects.

At the interviewing hall another guard directs me to drop my appointment letter at window 1 and then come back to sit on the first chair in the first row. There is a notice inside the embassy that says the sitting capacity in the hall is 76 persons, after about 20 minutes the hall was filled to capacity, we were like 100 or more inside the embassy as some were standing. I was made to sit with other immigrant applicants. Non immigrant applicants were also made to sit together. They started processing the cases of the non immigrant visas. There are 13 windows at the embassy where applicants are interviewed. I guess windows 1-6 are for immigrant cases.
After about 20 minutes of sitting all DV cases were called to window 1 by a pretty Ghanaian lady. She counseled us briefly and gave us a paper on which we were to indicate our qualification for the programme. She told to pay the DV fee after we had finished filling the form and to take our seats when we were done. On the sheets we were suppose to tick if we qualified either by education/Work experience, if you were using work experience you had to state your profession, on the back of the sheet you tick whether you are single, married, have children or not etc. There is a part on the sheet that states ‘applicants who prior to registering for the lottery were married/had children but didn’t include them during registration but included them after winning would automatically be disqualified. There was another part that asked whether or not you wanted to be interviewed.

2 people rescheduled their appointment’ a gentleman and a lady with the rest of the 5 of us deciding to go on with the interview process. I did not know why the man rescheduled his interview but with the lady I got to know later she wasn’t prepared psychologically for the interview even though she had the DV fee.

After 20 minutes of sitting all DV cases were called to Window 2. There was no one at window 2 when we got there so we kept standing there. We stood there for over 5 minutes and no one was coming. We decided that one of us should go and inform the security guards that we have been standing there for sometime and that if we could sit down. What the security guard could tell the gentleman who went to ask was we are at liberty to do what we want. It took over 8 minutes of standing before a Ghanaian lady finally showed up. The lady was pretty but not professional for my liking. I thought she would apologize for keeping us waiting but she never did. She mentioned our names one after another and started to inspect our documents. My name was mentioned first. I gave her all my documents but she gave back the “affidavit of support” which was in a sealed envelope. She asked me to open the envelope and give her the contents. These were the documents she took

Police certificate, she returned the photocopy.

School certificates (High School) she gave back an attestation letter I had taken from my University.

Medical reports

AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT which included letter from sponsor’s employer, tax returns for 2008 and sponsors bank statement.

Passport pictures, I had taken new passport pictures but she didn’t take any of the new ones but a copy of the one I sent to KCC.

I saw the DS 230 form I filled and sent to KCC with my picture affixed on the desk of the lady. She asked me to have my seat. After over 15 minutes of sitting my name was mentioned to come to window 1, this time to take my finger prints, it was simple and easy and didn’t even last a minute. She asked me to have my seat and wait for my interview.
Since I had been first in all the processes I was expecting to be called 1st for the interview. After sitting for over 15 minutes I heard one of the consular officers call the lady behind me to window 6, I was a bit surprised because I thought I would be called 1st. My name was mentioned 2nd and was asked to come to window 4.

The consular officer at window 4 was a matured man. I guess he’s is a little over 40. He was very nice to me.

Me: Good Morning
CO: Good morning
CO: I realized you are a student of …….Your campus at…… is very nice. I do pass by that place once a while.
Me: I’m not on that campus. We have 3 campuses and am on the…. campus. That ……..campus is for those reading the sciences and the…..…….campus is for business students.
I realized he wasn’t really listening to me but was busy typing something on his computer
CO: I see, what are u reading?
Me: I’m majoring in Economics and minoring in Finance.
All this while he was still busy typing on his PC.
CO: That’s a good combination. What year are you in.
ME: My third year.
CO: What courses are you doing this semester?
Me: Blab la blab la
CO: Richard you would have to come back on………………………………………….
He’s checks something on his PC and I could hear him say. We are so busy, we are so busy.
I stand there starring at him and wondering to my self what is he so busy about, just give me the thing and let me go.
CO: He takes out my results and asks me if I brought a scratch card.
ME: No, at that time I realized I should have brought a scratch card. I did not send a scratch card because the notification letter didn’t ask for one. My advice to guys yet to go for their interview is to take scratch cards along.
CO: He tells me he would be right back and dashes out.
I could see him talking to someone. He comes back after about 2 minutes.
CO: Richard, we would have to check on some documents. We are very busy this season and you would have to come back on 2nd February.
Me: Would I be coming back for my visa.
CO: If everything turns out OK be rest assured you will have your visa. I see him writing something on a sheet. He gives out the sheet to me.
Me: Thanks
I have been asked to come for my passport on the 2nd February. I guess I would be going for my passport with my visa embossed in it.

I witnessed other events. I would share them soon.

Mykoko abeg ooo

hello everyone. sorry for not visiting the house for a little time now.i guess mykoko is somewhere celebrating at the moment that is y he has not yet posted us with the most wanted gist in this room.

concerning my case. i mailed the kcc and asked of my date. but their reply is this and i dont know what it is all about.
Thank you for your inquiry.

Your forms have been received and are acceptable for the continuation of your visa processing. KCC is currently scheduling visa numbers below 14,000 for your region for the month of February. If your case number is current and has completed processing, KCC will send a notification letter to you via postal mail. Please refer to the visa bulletin at www.travel.state.gov to locate the current numbers being processed. This bulletin is updated after the 15th day of each month

i also called them yesterday and was told to call back after january i5th. but my case is 10:):):). i should be current for january i suppose.please can anyone say something?

mykoko we are still waiting for your success report. my mouth is watering and my heart is beating real fast to hear u.

GOD HAS DECREED IT THAT WE SHALL RISE TO THE TOP. AND SURELY WE SHALL

MY INTERVIEW EXPERIENCE
I woke up around 4:15 am yesterday and started to prepare. I left the house at 5am. I chartered a taxi to the embassy. At 5:28 am I got to the embassy, at the embassy I realized one man had been there earlier before me. I approached the main gate of the embassy and asked the security man where to wait, he told me the embassy opens at 7:30am and that I should wait under the trees that were about 100 metres from the embassy. I went back to wait under the trees, back at the trees I saw the man who had come earlier before me, I was wondering at what time he might have come to the embassy, anyway I never made any attempts to speak with him. In about 15 minutes a taxi pulled by, in it was a family of 5, two boys and a girl with their parents, at that moment I guessed they were also coming for an immigrant visa interview. I was praying to myself for the clock to tick faster, at that moment I regretted for being at the embassy so early. After 6 am a lot of people started trooping in.

At 7:35 am one of the embassy guards opened the gates to the entrance, everyone started walking towards the gate even though we hadn’t been called, I decided to follow the crowd and walk with them to the gate. At the gate the security guard told us to go back and that they would call us when they were ready, no one really wanted to go back as we kept standing by the gate. Another security man inside the embassy came out and told the security man with us not to attend to us if we were not willing to go back. I realized the reason why people were unwilling to go back was because everyone wanted to be first to enter the embassy, after about 7 minutes the 2 security guards came outside. One mentioned that all those with the green cards should come forward. I stepped forward only to be told by one of the security guards that he was not referring to immigrant visa applicants, later I got to know that those with the green cards were supposed to be interviewed last week Friday but due to certain reasons were not interviewed, they were given those green cards just to enable them gain first entry to the embassy. Next we were told to form 2 queues, Immigrant cases to the left and non-immigrant cases to the right. I was the first in the queue of the Immigrant cases. The man I came to meet at the embassy was standing besides me. He walked over to talk to one of the security guards. I realized he was an American citizen because he had an American passport, all I heard the security man tell him was services for American citizens start at 8:30am. We were asked to bring out our appointment letters. They would look at the name on the letter and check their sheet to see whether or not you have an appointment. I was inspected by one of the security guards and told to enter. I entered into a room where my phone was collected and kept at a secured place and I was given a number. I was asked to show the number on my way out and claim back my phone. I passed through a metal detector to make sure I was ok and was not carrying any unwanted objects.

At the interviewing hall another guard directs me to drop my appointment letter at window 1 and then come back to sit on the first chair in the first row. There is a notice inside the embassy that says the sitting capacity in the hall is 76 persons, after about 20 minutes the hall was filled to capacity, we were like 100 or more inside the embassy as some were standing. I was made to sit with other immigrant applicants. Non immigrant applicants were also made to sit together. They started processing the cases of the non immigrant visas. There are 13 windows at the embassy where applicants are interviewed. I guess windows 1-6 are for immigrant cases.
After about 20 minutes of sitting all DV cases were called to window 1 by a pretty Ghanaian lady. She counseled us briefly and gave us a paper on which we were to indicate our qualification for the programme. She told to pay the DV fee after we had finished filling the form and to take our seats when we were done. On the sheets we were suppose to tick if we qualified either by education/Work experience, if you were using work experience you had to state your profession, on the back of the sheet you tick whether you are single, married, have children or not etc. There is a part on the sheet that states ‘applicants who prior to registering for the lottery were married/had children but didn’t include them during registration but included them after winning would automatically be disqualified. There was another part that asked whether or not you wanted to be interviewed.

2 people rescheduled their appointment’ a gentleman and a lady with the rest of the 5 of us deciding to go on with the interview process. I did not know why the man rescheduled his interview but with the lady I got to know later she wasn’t prepared psychologically for the interview even though she had the DV fee.

After 20 minutes of sitting all DV cases were called to Window 2. There was no one at window 2 when we got there so we kept standing there. We stood there for over 5 minutes and no one was coming. We decided that one of us should go and inform the security guards that we have been standing there for sometime and that if we could sit down. What the security guard could tell the gentleman who went to ask was we are at liberty to do what we want. It took over 8 minutes of standing before a Ghanaian lady finally showed up. The lady was pretty but not professional for my liking. I thought she would apologize for keeping us waiting but she never did. She mentioned our names one after another and started to inspect our documents. My name was mentioned first. I gave her all my documents but she gave back the “affidavit of support” which was in a sealed envelope. She asked me to open the envelope and give her the contents. These were the documents she took

School certificates (High School) she gave back an attestation letter I had taken from my University.

Medical reports

AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT which included letter from sponsor’s employer, tax returns for 2008 and sponsors bank statement.

Passport pictures, I had taken new passport pictures but she didn’t take any of the new ones but a copy of the one I sent to KCC.

I saw the DS 230 form I filled and sent to KCC with my picture affixed on the desk of the lady. She asked me to have my seat. After over 15 minutes of sitting my name was mentioned to come to window 1, this time to take my finger prints, it was simple and easy and didn’t even last a minute. She asked me to have my seat and wait for my interview.
Since I had been first in all the processes I was expecting to be called 1st for the interview. After sitting for over 15 minutes I heard one of the consular officers call the lady behind me to window 6, I was a bit surprised because I thought I would be called 1st. My name was mentioned 2nd and was asked to come to window 4.

The consular officer at window 4 was a matured man. I guess he’s is a little over 40. He was very nice to me.

CO: I realized you are a student of …….Your campus at…… is very nice. I do pass by that place once a while.
Me: I’m not on that campus. We have 3 campuses and am on the…. campus. That ……..campus is for those reading the sciences and the…..…….campus is for business students.
I realized he wasn’t really listening to me but was busy typing something on his computer
He’s checks something on his PC and I could hear him say. We are so busy, we are so busy.
I stand there starring at him and wondering to my self what is he so busy about, just give me the thing and let me go.
ME: No, at that time I realized I should have brought a scratch card. I did not send a scratch card because the notification letter didn’t ask for one. My advice to guys yet to go for their interview is to take scratch cards along.
CO: Richard, we would have to check on some documents. We are very busy this season and you would have to come back on 2nd February.
CO: If everything turns out OK be rest assured you will have your visa. I see him writing something on a sheet. He gives out the sheet to me.
I have been asked to come for my passport on the 2nd February. I guess I would be going for my passport with my visa embossed in it.

MYKOKO i am very happy for u because the way you responded to the CO 's questions where just as the other winners did. i believe u have already won the visa. so be hopefull and prayerfull. GO GO GO GO on feb 2nd to possess your possession.
GOD HAS HAS DECREED IT AND IT SHALL SURELY COME TO PASS IN YOUR LIFE, IN MY LIFE AND EVERY MEMBER OF THIS FORUM.

hello everyone. sorry for not visiting the house for a little time now.i guess mykoko is somewhere celebrating at the moment that is y he has not yet posted us with the most wanted gist in this room.

concerning my case. i mailed the kcc and asked of my date. but their reply is this and i dont know what it is all about.

Your forms have been received and are acceptable for the continuation of your visa processing. KCC is currently scheduling visa numbers below 14,000 for your region for the month of February. If your case number is current and has completed processing, KCC will send a notification letter to you via postal mail. Please refer to the visa bulletin at www.travel.state.gov to locate the current numbers being processed. This bulletin is updated after the 15th day of each month

i also called them yesterday and was told to call back after january i5th. but my case is 10:):):). i should be current for january i suppose.please can anyone say something?

mykoko we are still waiting for your success report. my mouth is watering and my heart is beating real fast to hear u.

Jolomi,
There is no cause to worry, I am in same position as you. I wrote to them and I was given same response, I supposed they have a template for these responses.
I called then last week and was asked to call back after 15th. I think we should just continue to be patient.

MY INTERVIEW EXPERIENCE

Medical reports

Congrats Mykoko
There is no cause for alarm, just be prayerful and if all docs are genuine you will only go and pick your visa on the 2nd of February 2010

@mykoko, we all knew you were going there to pick up your visa, just like everyone from this forum will do cause Almighty God has already done it for us.

Joloms,
when did you send back your forms to kcc?Try and edit your signature.Thanks

@Mykoko
My advice is that you shouldnt think of this much.Commit it to God in prayer.Come 2nd Feb, you will surely get it.

@ mykoko, thank God the date you're given is very near, visas would still be available, so with much hope, you have got ur Visa

Congrats

MY INTERVIEW EXPERIENCE

Medical reports

Congrats,
You are going on there on 2nd February to pick the visa. You know what? 2nd feb. is my birthday and a good day. And all I want for Birthday gift is that ur VISA. So, go there that day and get it.
Congrats!