• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 Lucky winners from Nigeria meet HERE!

Yes oh, my wonderful pple of this great forum. Sorry for the very long silence, u know now, ds Daughter of Zion got to try to sort things out.

Anyway, I've landed in the US, Florida to be precise. I actually left for the airport (via Abuja Naija) on Friday, 4th December to fly to Florida, but alas! Our plane couldnt take off the runway after merrygorounding for abt 4 times, Delta airline oh. Can u imagine, I couldnt go back home becos it wont be too good for pple to see me coming back home after I've left even though I didnt make noise abt my travelling (lol, I left secretly, u know now, its not everything u make public). Anyway thank God, the Airline got us the passengers into Transcorp Hilton for the nite. Funny enough some of the passengers were not too happy wt the airline and I think it was as a result of that abt 4 of us were put on KLM on the nite of 5th Dec. Anyway, God knows why. We had a smooth journey to Armsterdam and had to join another flight to Detroit (US) for a connecting flight to Florida where am presently based.

B4 I continue with d journey details, I'll like to say here that Phill's comment really helped me in packing my things. Trust now, any African lady will still want to have a taste of home wherever and whenever, so I packed many things like, Iru(locust beans, dried); Crayfish, Dambu Nama(Dry minced meat, found in the north of Naija), Kilishi, Roasted groundnut, powder pepper, maggi chicken, knorr cubes, frozen ogi(fresh Pap), dried bitter leaf, ogbono and egusi(melon) (My host requested for these). My elder sista really did lots of work packing these things with packaging nylon with newspaper and squeezed into very small parts and cellotaped and thoroughly labelled that u wont know there are these things in the boxes. I also went wt lots of attachments and weave ons. My advice to ladies especially, my host asked me to learn how to make hair, becos she felt that will be d first area where I may make money b4 I get settled with my SSN and GC. so for those that are still processing thier visas, pls learn this fast, I learnt this just for 2 weeks when I was in Lagos for my Visa and believe it or not, it is helping me now, cause I already have a salon owned by a Senegalese where I work part time pending when I'll get my SSN and GC to get a good job. So ladies be wise.

Yes back to my experience with all these things with the immigration guys, as earlier said, my initial port of entry was supposed to be Baltimore, but I lost a friend who would've hosted me to a car accident in Abuja when she came visiting her husband early this year, she was also a dv winner, may her sould rest in peace, amen. Also my main sponsor in Baltimore refused picking my calls again after some time. So for those of u thinking u may have problems, stay relaxed, I actually changed my address at my POE, Detroit. When I got there. We new immigrants were told 2 queue. I was on d queue for abt 2hrs. They later attended 2 me. D orange envelope containing my medicals was collcted frm me & a form was filled for my Alien Registration Card, Green Card I think!!! I immediately did a change of address. I gave them my X-ray,they said I shd keep it. They said I shd be expectn my ARC(Alien Reg. Card) in some weeks frm now. It is well, still waitn. @ d checkn of food items,my egusi(not ground) & kilishi were Seized & thrown into d thrash can. It pained me but I was too tired & fagged out. D woman said she will charge me $500 which I don't even have. So I just remained calm. God didnt allow them see the other things anyway. Though the woman touched the fresh akamu and asked me what it was, and I told her pap. U know what, d thing melted as a result of keeping it in the aircraft (Delta airline) overnite becos I kept it in the deep freezer for weeks b4 my departure and wrapped it in a big towel. Anyway sha, she didnt remove it. All I would say is if u're taking anything, dont let it be too much so it wont pain u too much. Thank Kilishi pained me oh, it was bought by my sista dt morning and quite expensive, but I bless Got it wasnt much.

Yeah, Petit, I think I support the idea u're made the Honourable Gen Sec of this great forum. And for those of u who are new to this forum, I bet u're in the right place. This forum helped me a lot and for those of u going for the interview, just be urself. The COs are human beings like u and I, they only try to be psychological and phylosophical in nature; they arent better or brilliant than u and I. Just be smart and above all, pray very hard and if u can try as much as possible not to blow ur trumphet to the public, I mean friends (what I mean is dont count ur chicken until they are hatched). Any information u want could always be got from this great forum instead of making it known to the whole world that u win a lottery to the USA, be wise!

I'll keep u posted about any development. And for my sisters and brothers going for their interview, God's presence will go b4 u, with u and be with u always. SHALOM!!!

My regards to Bammyrichy, Aywire, Livewire, Petit, Danje, Phill, Dotman, Gasper, Ajaylagos, Toluwalase, etc. U guys are indeed great forumites. Keep the ball rolling please.

at Olubu, we r happy for u. Sorry about the kilishi, lol. You are really a fast learner. I make hair too, Ghana weaves, braids n fix, kudos to u for learning in 2 wks, so i advice d women in d house who r yet to be current to go and learn. I have been going to my friend's salon to help her make hair for clients esp now that there are loads of ppl coming this festive season. At Olubu, give advices of hair extension and weave types u see ppl rushing at dat salon where u work. Update us wt ur observation as u go on with your daily activities.... Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Olubu, that was a nice and interesting post. I know your advise concerning hair do was only for d ladies b.cos u are a lady. You being a fast learner, what advise do u have for guys? Should guys also learn how to grab clippers? Make we know ooooo, abi my guys wetin you think?

ONE ASPECT OF CULTURE THAT IS STILL SHOCKING ME HERE IS THE SQUIRRELS. ONE DAY WHEN I TOOK MY LITTLE NIECE TO SHOW ME AROUND THE TRELAWNEY CIRCLE AREA WHERE WE LIVE, I SAW THIS SQUIRREL ON A STREET TRASH CAN. IT WAS VERY HEALTHY. THAT WAS GOOD MEAT!! I IMAGINED HOW GOOD SMOKED SQUIRREL WOULD TASTE IN A BOWL OF PEPPER SOUP. AS I STARTED TOWARDS THE SQUIRREL, I REMEMBERED THE MOVIE "OSUFIA IN LONDON"
I APPLIED FOR SOME JOBS ONLINE AND BEHOLD ONE OF THE COMPANIES CALLED ME AND SCHEDULED AN INTERVIEW FOR ME BUT I COULDN'T GO BECAUSE I HAVE NO DOCUMENTS AT HAND YET, AND NOT EVEN THE SOCIAL SECURITY WHICH IS OF MOST IMPORTANCE, EXCEPT MY PASSPORT AND CERTIFICATES AND WORK ATTESTATIONS I BROUGHT FROM HOME. AT THE MOMENT, I'M DOING SOME CERTIFICATION PROGRAMS ONLINE AS WELL AS PREPARING FOR MY DRIVER'S LICENSE TEST. FOR THOSE OF YOU COMING TO

HAHAHAHA!! OMG! Phil you are too funny!!! i honestly can't imagine trying to eat those annoying squirrels. i see them as the equivalent of Nigerian rats. but mehn u got me laughing like crazy early in the morning! thank you...lol

Im currently back in the States and i cant even think of anything interesting to add to this. hahaha. Phil Phil Phil.

As far as the work thing goes, i dont think you have to wait for your GC. in the letter KCC sent to winners, it says that upon admission to the US, you are a Legal Permanent Resident. and in the Visa provided at the embassy, it says the visa is evidence of your resident status for one year.
the only thing that you have to wait for is the SSN, but that shouldn't take more than 2 weeks so you should have it by now.

in any case, did you have to go to the social security office to apply for it or are they going to mail it to the address you provided?

no go become fat with all this sleeping and eating oh! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
inquiry

i need someone to tell me the kind of question they ask bankers who presently work with an OND and also still working towards to get B.SC acct .
who also intend to work in financial institution in united states.

@Teegee, I think you won't be ask that much question like those using their WAEC. I think as long as you are a banker, you will know must things they will be asking. Just keep up with this forum and everything we will great.

@OLUBU, it's a great thing you are keeping us update on things to know before leaving Nigeria. Thanks alot guy.

NL Got to KCC June via FEDEX
Started medicals: Waiting
Completed Medicals: Waiting
2nd NL recieved: Waiting

i need someone to tell me the kind of question they ask bankers who presently work with an OND and also still working towards to get B.SC acct .

They may ask u to give details of ur work type, or even courses u took during ur OND. So just go to the basics of your educational background, like someone who did accounting, during my interview, the lady was asked to describe what a balance sheet looks like which she did, so just be prepared.

'Testing' of Education Qualifications.

I can understand that the US consular officers are under immense pressure all over the world to stop fraud. But when it comes to evaluating educational credentials the Nigerian post seems to be brazenly violating their own guidelines. They should have had better methods in place as suggested in their own 9FAM 42.33.

I am basing this conclusion after reading many of this forum posts, how they routinely conduct 'oral testing' of a candidate's knowledge.

It is very unfortunate that applicants have no recourse to challenge this practice by requesting an admin review or by taking it to judiciary.

This is what 9FAM say specifically for DV applicants;

9 FAM 42.33 N7.3 Education Evaluation

....b. A DV refusal must be based on evidence that the alien did not in fact
obtain the required degree and not on your assessment of the alien's
knowledge level. You may not administer an exam, either oral or written,
to test an applicant’s basic knowledge in order to determine whether they
have the equivalent of a U.S. high school education. You may not refuse
a DV applicant solely on the basis of your analysis of the applicant's basic
knowledge. Doubts about the applicant’s claimed educational level raised
by your interview, however, may lead you to investigate the authenticity
of the educational credentials claimed by the DV applicant.

Full details of these and other guidelines to evaluate DV CP applications is found here
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87838.pdf

also check all that is applicable to DV category under 42.33 in the following link
http://www.state.gov/m/a/dir/regs/fam/09fam/c22753.htm

hi teegee u are wellcome likely questions are

BIODATA
wat is ur name, date of birth, where u are born, how old are u, sometimes ur mother or father date and place of birth.

EDUCATION
question on ur o level, wen did u sat 4 ur o level, wat is ur highest grade tell me something on it, why did u write waec 2 times which is ur wickest course and why, hw many grades do u hv wat is ur secoundry sch name also try to revise all subjet u did in secoundry sch.
on ur OND try to now the year u gain admmision and year of graduation know ur matric num know all the courses u did i.e fanancial acctng, cost acctng, taxation, auditng, e.t.c and their codes i.e ACC 101
Also go and study ur project as u may be ask ur prOject topic and give some explanation on it, also try to know introduction to acct i.e tell me sOmething on acct, wat is statement of cash flow, wat is balance sheet, Tria balance, cash book, tell me something about pay roll, invoice, pety cash,e.t.c
Note that all u need to do is to give idea on this question just 4 them to know dat ur OND is real

ON CAREA
u may be ask wat u do presently i.e am a banker, which department do u work in that bank and why do u choose to work in bank, why dont u work as an acct officer or in acctng firm . can u tell me how u hv been able to use wat u lern in sch in ur working place e.t.c

OTHERS
u may be ask of the person u want to stay with in the state, how do u know him, how does he enter into the, do u know his address, hv u meet him b4 e.t.c

U CAN GO TO 2007 TREAD CHECK FROM PAGE 20 UPWARD THERE WAS AN INTERVIEW EXPERIENCE OF A BANKER TRY TO STUDY IT I WISH U GOOD LUCK THANK U

phluck , waheed1, petit, navigator, mykoko, and all othrs in house complement of the season to u all pls i need ur pray as i wiil not be able to celebrate too much during dis season as my interview is immidiatly after the season pls remember me in ur prayer thanks.

phluck , waheed1, petit, navigator, mykoko, and all othrs in house complement of the season to u all pls i need ur pray as i wiil not be able to celebrate too much during dis season as my interview is immidiatly after the season pls remember me in ur prayer thanks.

We will be praying for you... Just get prepared.. and share the wonderful news with the house

Shinadave,
You do not have any reason to be worried, the Lord has decreed it and it must come to pass.
Success is yours and pls celebrate the birth of our Lord Jesus as I believe there couldn't be a better time for your interview other than now.
Best luck and Pls come with the good news to the house.

'Testing' of Education Qualifications.

I can understand that the US consular officers are under immense pressure all over the world to stop fraud. But when it comes to evaluating educational credentials the Nigerian post seems to be brazenly violating their own guidelines. They should have had better methods in place as suggested in their own 9FAM 42.33.

I am basing this conclusion after reading many of this forum posts, how they routinely conduct 'oral testing' of a candidate's knowledge.

It is very unfortunate that applicants have no recourse to challenge this practice by requesting an admin review or by taking it to judiciary.

This is what 9FAM say specifically for DV applicants;

9 FAM 42.33 N7.3 Education Evaluation

....b. A DV refusal must be based on evidence that the alien did not in fact
obtain the required degree and not on your assessment of the alien's
knowledge level. You may not administer an exam, either oral or written,
to test an applicant’s basic knowledge in order to determine whether they
have the equivalent of a U.S. high school education. You may not refuse
a DV applicant solely on the basis of your analysis of the applicant's basic
knowledge. Doubts about the applicant’s claimed educational level raised
by your interview, however, may lead you to investigate the authenticity
of the educational credentials claimed by the DV applicant.

Full details of these and other guidelines to evaluate DV CP applications is found here
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87838.pdf

also check all that is applicable to DV category under 42.33 in the following link
http://www.state.gov/m/a/dir/regs/fam/09fam/c22753.htm

A good post but i dont really think we have a choice other than sastisfy their requirement back here.

with the info you gave our friend above.Success is sure for you.Prayers will
crown you.Goodluck