• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 Country of Eligibility Question

its like this: for americans the birthplace is important point to determine citizenship. but for germans its the bloodline, so this means what citizenship your parents are.. so it doesn't matter where i was born, i am german because both my parents are german. thats why i have a german birth certificate, even though i was born in japan.
this is a very complicated situation, still donjt know if i should pick japan or germany..?

I just mentioned my case. I know that Germany Citizenship is determined by bloodline and not the land of birth. It doesn't matter what Citizenship you were born in to. What matter is the "place" where you were born.

That's why you need to look at your birth certificate and see if it says that you are born in Japan or Germany.

i have a german birth certificate, even though i was born in japan.
this is a very complicated situation, still donjt know if i should pick japan or germany..?

There is nothing complicated about your situation and if you would read the instructions carefully, it should become clear.

It's true that Americans (among others) use birth certificates as proof of citizenship, however the reason you would need to present your birth certificate during your interview (if you get selected) would be to document your place of birth, not your citizenship.

There is nothing complicated about your situation and if you would read the instructions carefully, it should become clear.

It's true that Americans (among others) use birth certificates as proof of citizenship, however the reason you would need to present your birth certificate during your interview (if you get selected) would be to document your place of birth, not your citizenship.

well, my german birth certificate also states i was born in japan.. so that should be fine too..? i can pick germany then? (it would be easier to get all documentation from germany anyway, than from japan... )

He can"t claim eligibility for Germany. That would only possible if his country of birth is not eligible, but Japan is.

well, my german birth certificate also states i was born in japan.. so that should be fine too..?
No, your German BC does not prove you were born in Japan, but your Japanese one does prove so. So, you will have to have your Japanese BC at the interview.

i can pick germany then? (it would be easier to get all documentation from germany anyway, than from japan... )
Maybe you could. But for now you have not shown any single argument proving you could be eligible under Germany. But you are eligible under Japan, that is for sure, provided you have your Japanese BC at the interview.

He can"t claim eligibility for Germany. That would only possible if his country of birth is not eligible, but Japan is.

Ok, seems like I will pick Japan as my country of eligibility. In case I win, I will have to translate my Japanese birth certificate into English right? What other documents would I need to send in or need for the interview?

No, your German BC does not prove you were born in Japan, but your Japanese one does prove so. So, you will have to have your Japanese BC at the interview.

Maybe you could. But for now you have not shown any single argument proving you could be eligible under Germany. But you are eligible under Japan, that is for sure, provided you have your Japanese BC at the interview.

Actually my German BC does prove I was born in Japan, it says it on there. Its an official German BC, which was issued by the German registry office.

You can worry about that IF you get selected.

actually it would be good to know that now.. so that i can pick my country of eligibility.. because some documentation is easier to get from one country than from the other..

actually it would be good to know that now.. so that i can pick my country of eligibility.. because some documentation is easier to get from one country than from the other..
Okay, let's try this one more time: YOU CANNOT PICK YOUR COUNTRY OF ELIGIBILITY! You were born in Japan, so this is your country of eligibility. The other options are for people who were born in a country that is not eligible for the lottery.
If you already want to know more, check out this thread: http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=215048

Ok i understand!!! may i carefully ask which documents would be required in case i win? because then i can decide if i should even enter the lottery or not.. (since some documents i can imagine would be difficult to get from japanese authorities..)

If you would have looked through the link that I have just sent you, you would know that if you have never lived in Japan (at least not after turning 16), you only need the birth certificate and since you already have that, you will not have any issues. (btw: If you do your interview in Germany, you will not even need a translation since they will accept German documents).

Actually my German BC does prove I was born in Japan, it says it on there. Its an official German BC, which was issued by the German registry office
Germany does not have jurisdiction to state you were born in Japan. That is why your German BC is not a proof of your birth in Japan. However, what your German BC does prove is that you were born outside of Germany. That is not enought to participate from Japan.

Ok i understand!!! may i carefully ask which documents would be required in case i win? because then i can decide if i should even enter the lottery or not.. (since some documents i can imagine would be difficult to get from japanese authorities..)

I don't get it. If you are genuinely interested in immigrating to the US, does it really matter whether it is difficult or not to get documents from Japanese authorities? If it does, then you should indeed reconsider your participation.

After all, there are plenty of other participants who have dreamt of living in the US their whole lives and who would not be inconvenienced the slightest bit by having to obtain documents from a country they either don't like, look down onto or were ashamed to have been born in.

I don't get it. If you are genuinely interested in immigrating to the US, does it really matter whether it is difficult or not to get documents from Japanese authorities? If it does, then you should indeed reconsider your participation.

After all, there are plenty of other participants who have dreamt of living in the US their whole lives and who would not be inconvenienced the slightest bit by having to obtain documents from a country they either don't like, look down onto or were ashamed to have been born in.

I am neither of those things you said.. i just don't really have any contact or affiliation with Japan anymore, so I dont know how things work and I can imagine it being difficult since most Japanese dont speak English.

I am neither of those things you said.. i just don't really have any contact or affiliation with Japan anymore, so I dont know how things work and I can imagine it being difficult since most Japanese dont speak English.

Should you require any official documents from Japan (such as a police certificate in case you resided in Japan for at least 6 months after turning 16), any Japanese consulate/embassy in the world would be able to provide service in English (and in Germany even in German).

Should you require any official documents from Japan (such as a police certificate in case you resided in Japan for at least 6 months after turning 16), any Japanese consulate/embassy in the world would be able to provide service in English (and in Germany even in German).

Wow, I didnt know that. thanks!! Gonna be easy if i win! ;-) hehe