• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2009 Lucky winners from Nigeria

pls, kindly read d questns ask again and again b4 u start 2 advice.
u can only b qualified 4 dv lottery by two means ur educatn or ur working experience, so if ur working experience is not important in USA why will they request 4 it in the form.
pls read and understanding d questions again and again b4 gven advice so that we will be confusing eachother more and more. God bless us all amen.

qualification for DV lottery is only by two ways like bammyrichie rightly said which are by education and work experience, if one is qualified by work experience the applicant will need to prove to the Consular Officer that He/She has got the necessary job experience to be able to proceed to the States after a successful visa interview. Does that job experience counts as something significant is another cup of tea when the 'Johnny Just Come' (JJC)gets to the States which is where Aywire is right.So therefore to my 2 Oga and MR,ceasefire!!. One love:cool:

Dress to impress

Onowakpo, who told you you'd have to wear a suit to the interview ? That's not neccessary. Just go there in whatever outfit you deem fit, be it traditional African attire, casual wear or something corporate, as long as you look neat & decent. You're not going out there to impress anybody, it's not some beauty contest or a fashion show. Just be yourself.
Sir, i disagree that we are not going there to impress anybody,what about the saying 'FIRST IMPRESSION COUNTS',as much as i agree that it is not a fashion show or a beauty contest,we need to go there in something that will show forth our personality and values. Biblically,it is written that the world awaits the manifestation of God children, how do we manifest if not in something to impress, who ever goes to a job interview dress in a way saying i don't give a monkey about impressing my interviewer is doom for failure.The visa interview should also be treated like a job interview by all applicants, wear your SUNDAY BEST!.Even though am yet to be current i already have in my mind what i will be wearing for that SPECIAL day WHENEVER IT COMES! .:D

It is your turn

Praise the lord!!! I have been looking forward to share my testimony in this great forum after been waited for almost 14 months ago. I thank God for open my eyes to be able to discovered this forum & as well for given me a little bit high Case Number: 13XXX for me to be able to rectified all the mistakes that I made on my documents. Once again, I’ll like to thank Our Omnipotent God & the highly esteem members of this great forum for your advices, contributions & suggestions for all of us to get to dream land. You guyz were really wonderful!
I was scheduled for an interview on Tuesday July 07, 2009 for 7:00 am appointment which was really interested. I left home for embassy with my friends around 4:50 am on Tuesday morning, after we drove for about 10 minutes (i.e.5:00 am) we discovered that one the rear(back) tyre of the car have been deflated, so we quickly alight from the car & change the tyre,which lasted for almost 30 minutes(i.e. 5:30 am) for us to replaced it. So we continue driving to embassy, we got to embassy around 5:45 am & we paid for packing fees and we parked. So I joined all the visa applicants that were waiting outside the embassy for the security guards to call them to queue.
Before I continue sharing my experience at embassy, i’ll like to flash back our memory to some mistakes that I made during my DV preparation for the benefit of the current & upcoming DV winners in future, so that if they made these kinds of mistakes as well, they’ll quickly know the way out. To cut the story short, here are the mistakes listed below:

(i) Place Of Birth issue on my international passport: Open the link below in new window & read it for more information………...( By Diamond_009 post no : 635 ) http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=276910&page=22

So, i returned my international passport to passport immigration office for correct & they accepted it from me. So, if new applicant made mistakes on his/her new e-international passport, it is possible to re-apply for another new one, but if it is applicant that have appeared at some embassies before, i don’t know whether it is possible to correct it. I think such applicant should go to the passport immigration office for inquiry. It may be possible to correct for such applicant as well.
Note: Observation on passport is not acceptable by US embassy: http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3741.html

Although, I read somebody’s post that made this kind of mistake (i.e. Place Of Birth) & the person decided not to correct it, and the interview was successful. Open the link below in new window & read it for more information……….………...( By Jrcies post no :902 )
http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=245065&page=31
And he/she was successful.
Also some people were disqualified because of the discrepancy or misspelling in their Place Of Birth: Open the link below in new window & read it for more information………...( By Onoriode post no :830 )
http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=245065&page=28

(ii) Doubting whether my application is double entry or not: Open the link below in new window & read it for more information..( By Diamond_009 post no : 559 )
http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=276910&page=19
Although, i know that shouldn’t be double entry as well.

(iii) Mistakes on my parent’s data on already submitted DS-230 forms to KCC: Open the link below in new window & read it for more information…… (By Nucleus post no : 664 )
http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=276910&page=23

Note: House, I am also the same person that is bearing Diamond_009 in this great forum. I follow all advices & suggestions from the house. And thank God I was able to correct all the mistakes before my interview.
So, if anybody in the house made mistakes on already submitted DS-230 forms to KCC, it is acceptable by KCC and embassy to correct it, whether it is your own biodata information or your spouse. Here is the proof and message from KCC below:

Thank you for your inquiry.
It is acceptable to use correction fluid to correct mistakes made while completing your forms. If you have detected an error on a form you have already submitted, you can send the corrected information to KCC through regular mail or email. If there are more than one or two minor corrections, you may submit a corrected copy of the forms. You can use photocopied forms or you can download them from http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/forms/forms_1342.html.
KCC/hrg
Public Inquiry
Serco Inc./Kentucky Consular Center
Williamsburg, Kentucky
KCCDV@state.gov
(606) 526-7500

Note: If you made mistake on your input data to the online DVlottery application entry, it is not possible for KCC to correct or retrieve it. Here is the proof and message from KCC below:

Thank you for your inquiry.
KCC does not have the ability to retrieve or correct the data that was provided on the original entry to the lottery. Please complete the forms DS 230 Part I, DS 230 Part II, and DSP 122 with the correct information. Once received at KCC, the information will be included in your case file for review.
_________
KCC/cac
Public Inquiry
Serco Inc./ Kentucky Consular Center
Williamsburg, Kentucky
KCCDV@state.gov
(606) 526-7500

The Consular Officer did not even asked any question concerning the mail that I sent to KCC for correction of mistakes on my parent’s data, maybe she forgot to ask me, and I saw the hard copy of the mail that I sent to KCC in front of her.
Once again, if not because of the favour of God and information provided by the house, i might find it difficult to survive during my interview at embassy, especially mistake that i made on my Place Of Birth which is the main critical information concerning principal applicant.

Yeah, back to my experience at embassy, around 6:30am, the security guards addresses the waiting crowd, they said that following items were not allowed inside the embassy, they include cell phone, laptop, flash memory drive, any items that is using battery, metals, water, food, perfumes, powder etc. Just go to embassy with only your pen & all your documents.
At 6:45am, immigrant Visa(IV) & Diversity Visa(DV) were told to open all the sealed envelopes & form a queue. After the queue, we were told to pass through a gate outside the embassy to submit our invitation letter which came along with the 2NL & i was given a payment paper to pay $775, a slip of paper which demanded applicant name, name of petition, contact address, telephone number & email. Also, a card with number DV 06 was given to me. After that, I proceeded forward to be checked/screened by first security guard with the aid of metallic detector incase if i carried any unwanted items that were not allow or if I did not open my envelopes, after that, we were directed to the entrance of the embassy compound at the gate for second security screening where we passed through a big metal detector again, incase if the first security check missed any unwanted items. After that screening, we entered the main compound of the embassy, so we were directed to where to pay for cashier the sum of $775 (# 124,000). The current exchange rate at embassy is still 160 Naira = 1 US Dollar. Note: You can either pay in US Dollar or Naira denominations, mixed payment of Dollar & Naira are not acceptable by the cashier. It was true that the cashier was not friendly, she delayed some applicants because they were unable to identified & show her the payment paper slip that was given to them initially for payment. So, when I paid my own application fees, I moved to the next window A to present all the following documents (both Originals & Photocopies) to a Nigerian (Male) separately:
(1)NPC Birth Certificate (2)Waec, University & NYSC Certificate (3)Original Medical Result & Vaccination Record(4)Original Police Report(5)International Passport & 3-Passport photographs.
So he returned the old passport photograph that I mounted to the DS-230 forms that I returned to KCC initially, he collected another 3-new Passport photographs. Also, I saw computer print-out of my online original entry to DV 2009 & hard copy of the mail that I sent to KCC for rectification of mistakes on my parent’s data.
After I submitted all the documents, I was told to enter the main interview hall because all the previous activities was been carried out outside the gate & the compound of the embassy. So, as I was going, I met another 3rd security guard for last screening, and then I went into the interview hall around 7:55am. I sat down where DV & IV immigrant normally sit; there are separate chairs for non-immigrant visa (NIV) applicant. It was IV & NIV that the Consular Officers were firstly attended to, the Consular Officers told most of the IV that they need to compare their DNA with that of their relatives in US before they can made final decision on their application.
All DV applicants that was interviewed before me was successful. Around 9:45am I was call to window 10 by a white lady Consular Officer. The interview lasted for 7 minutes. The Consular Officer did not even asked any questions concerning my biodata.

Consular Officer: Good morning
Me: Good morning
Consular Officer: You’re here because you were selected for further processing; you know it is not 100% guarantee that the visa will be issue to you
Me: Yes, I know
Consular Officer: Raise your right hand & sworn after me that you’re the person on this forms & you’ll tell the truth.
Me: Yes, I’m the person that appears on the form & I’ll tell the truth.
Consular Officer: You know you qualify for DV through educational qualification?
Me: Yes
Consular Officer: Please sign this DS-230 form
Me: I did so
Consular Officer: What are you doing presently?
Me: I’m teaching
Me: Why can you work in a company that related to your field of study?
Me: Yeah, I’m still applying online for work to get a job that will suit my course of study
Consular Officer: Ok, what is the name of the school?
Me: No, is not a school, it is private home tutor
Consular Officer: So, why did you write N/A in your occupation?
Me: I haven’t started teaching work when I received the Notification Letter that I won DV. So, she wrote ‘Teaching: private home tutor’ inside my DS-230 form of question 12.
Consular Officer: What kind of educational degree you have?
Me: University degree
Consular Officer: I mean degree
Me: Ok, Bsc
Consular Officer: What is the name of your University?
Me: University Of American Embassy
Consular Officer: What course did you study?
Me: X & Y Engineering
Consular Officer: How many years does your course of study normally takes to completed in school?
Me: 5 years
Consular Officer: When did you gain admission?
Me: Sept. 2000
Consular Officer: It was year 2000 you received admission letter?
Me: Early 2000, but the school star registration by Sept. 2000
Consular Officer: But you indicated in your form that you graduated Mar. 2006 & that means that you spent 6 years in school.
Me: Yeah, I t was strike activities that cause the delayed to that year
Consular Officer: Can you tell me number of students you’ve in your faculty?
Me: I don’t know the exact number of students that we have in our faculty, but in my own department for my session, we were just only 21 students in a class
Consular Officer: Ok, out of college of medicine & your faculty, which one is the largest?
Me: Oh! Faculty of engineering is bigger than college of medicine, because engineering have many departments compare to that of medicine, so we’ve main building and annex etc. (I think the Consular Officer was just trying to confirmed psychologically whether it is truly graduated or pass through higher institution of learning, maybe she was suspecting something because of the duration of my 6 years of study in school)
Consular Officer: Can you define your course of study for me?
Me: I said bla bla bla …..(because the definition of my course of study is too long, so the Consular Officer did not understand or not satisfied with the definition, although I defined the right definition for her, but I think the definition is too much complex for her to understand, so she said :
Consular Officer: I want something brief & that relate to your course of study.
Me: I just told her bla bla bla……., again
Consular Officer: List the courses you did in school
Me: I listed close to courses
Consular Officer: Can I see your academic transcript to check all the courses you did in school?
Me: Thank God, I went to embassy with my academic transcript (because, when I want to applied for some schools in Europe, I requested for my transcript in school & I made the photocopy of it as my own copy) but I don’t wish to release it to her, because she may just pick any course that I cannot remember very well again. And she did so, when I gave her the transcript
Consular Officer: Good, what is the slogan of your University?
Me: Recte sefon….bla bla….it is something like French word, but I can’t remember it very well again
Consular Officer: Ok, can you tell me what Industrial Sociology is all about?
Me: (House) I can’t remember the course very well again, I just talk about something that related to it, because I noticed that she was not an engineering student.
Consular Officer: You did Physics, can tell me what Electricity is all about?
Me: I talk bla bla bla as well. So after that she started input some data into the computer. So I smile, I know God has already answer my prayer.
Consular Officer: So, She stood up & picked a blue pick-up slip and gave it to me with all my original documents. And she told me that you’ve been found eligible to receive an immigrant visa !!!
Me: Thank you
Consular Officer: Do not make any life changes or buy a plane ticket until you collect your visa next week
Me: Ok thank you.

Once again, I want to use this opportunity to thank 4real4u, Godblesschuks, Sunnyaje & all the entire member of the house for your advices, contributions & suggestions toward my success in life. Indeed in life, ‘Information is a power tool of success’
Infact, the most active member in this naija link goes to: 4real4u
Also, the most active member in this immigrationportal goes to: Tazmania ( The guy used to visit all the link in this site)

ADVICES:
All the current & upcoming DV winners should note the following critical information in their documents for you guyz to be 100% successful during your interview, the following biographical (biodata) information must be the same in the documents you’ll present during your interview: e.g for principal applicant, assuming my information is

Full Name Date Of Birth Place Of Birth
Online DV entry: Williams John Jimmy October/12/1803 Embassy
DS-230 Forms: Williams John Jimmy October/12/1803 Embassy
NPC Birth Cert: Williams John Jimmy October/12/1803 Embassy
Int'l Passport: Williams John Jimmy October/12/1803 Embassy
Police Report: Williams John Jimmy October/12/1803 Embassy

So, if you made mistake or you discover any discrepancy in your biographical (biodata) information in the documents you want to present, please try to correct it before you go for interview, because any discrepancy or misspelling in the 3-information above may lead to disqualification! So just go to the issuing offices to correct your documents now if possible.

RULES DURING INTERVIEW:
Don’t panic, they are just people like you, Try as much as possible to be calm, be Bold, smile and look the interviewer in the eyes (please never look down or away, it is a sign of cowardness to American but sign of respect in Naija), don’t play smart by bringing fake documents because they will verify and they have special anti-fraud unit in embassy, Reply with exact answers and never volunteer information that interviewer didn't ask for (over too sabi). If they ask you a question think before you answer it. The more you talk the more the questions, the less you talk the better for you i.e. talk Less, Even if you don't know answers try to use your head to say something closer, Only Discuss What you Know Best i.e. all Questions will generated from your Response/reply.In the course of your discussion and try not to fake anything what so ever.

Gasper2000,here you go if God has been faithful to Nucleus,He will not deny you His favour and to Nucleus what the Lord has done for you will remain permanent,no devil in hell can withstand your train of success,this is just the beginning.:cool:

Hi all,

I am wondering if there are chances that the old dv winners could share experience with new applicants in this forum about their experiences as new comers in USA and how they were able to get their groove as we all have heard, it aint easy out there, but better opportunities exist!

Sir, i disagree that we are not going there to impress anybody,what about the saying 'FIRST IMPRESSION COUNTS',as much as i agree that it is not a fashion show or a beauty contest,we need to go there in something that will show forth our personality and values. Biblically,it is written that the world awaits the manifestation of God children, how do we manifest if not in something to impress, who ever goes to a job interview dress in a way saying i don't give a monkey about impressing my interviewer is doom for failure.The visa interview should also be treated like a job interview by all applicants, wear your SUNDAY BEST!.Even though am yet to be current i already have in my mind what i will be wearing for that SPECIAL day WHENEVER IT COMES! .:D

Dotman my main man, it's not that I'm disputing the fact that 'first impression counts', I'm only trying to infer that it's not necessary to put on a suit to the interview. It's completely at your discretion to wear any outfit that looks good on you. Even your 'sunday best'. Putting on a suit, traditional African outfit or something casual is okay, but it's imperative that one should appear neat, decent & responsible. I live amongst white folks in a very rich and developed western nation, so I know their mentality very well.
The only true means of making a good impression on your interviewer is to come across as a neat, decent, responsible, articulate, reliable, ambitious & credible person. I sincerely hope & pray you become current soon so that you can go out there and take the bull by the horns & at the end of the day come out glorifying the name of the Lord. Do not forget to share your success story with the honorable members of this forum afterwards.:D;):)

I concur

Dotman my main man, it's not that I'm disputing the fact that 'first impression counts', I'm only trying to infer that it's not necessary to put on a suit to the interview. It's completely at your discretion to wear any outfit that looks good on you. Even your 'sunday best'. Putting on a suit, traditional African outfit or something casual is okay, but it's imperative that one should appear neat, decent & responsible. I live amongst white folks in a very rich and developed western nation, so I know their mentality very well.
The only true means of making a good impression on your interviewer is to come across as a neat, decent, responsible, articulate, reliable, ambitious & credible person. I sincerely hope & pray you become current soon so that you can go out there and take the bull by the horns & at the end of the day come out glorifying the name of the Lord. Do not forget to share your success story with the honorable members of this forum afterwards.:D;):)
Sir,as usual i always enjoy your selfless contributions and how is your son preparation going may GOD make His face to shine towards him on that day.All the very best.

Dotman, thanks for the compliments. I really appreciate your inputs. My boy is busy rehearsing & generally getting ready for his ''big day'' at the embassy. I sincerely pray all the brothers & sisters on this forum whose interviews are gonna take place b/w now and september all emerge from the embassy jubilating and singing praises to the Lord.
Every member of this honorable house has been awesome, you guys have been doing a very wonderful job here. Kudos to y'all. May the good Lord bless you all in the mighty name of Jesus Christ.

You guys are saying he should call them up, agreed but what is he going to use to enter the embassy on the day of the interview isn't it the visa interview letter?. What if there are other problems and he needs to show evidence will he show verbal one?

Abeg, u can only call if you want to find out the exact interview date prior to them sending you the paper copy of your visa letter but in your situation try do everything black and white.

Good luck

4real4u,

Thanks for ur contributions here, it has helped a lot. Am a DV2009 winner and have completed my medicals and police report. My interview is coming up on 11th August 2009. Pls some people told me I would have to do waec verification even though I've my original certificate. Also, I will like to know if I can use two weac certificates to make up my 5 credits requirements. Pls anyone can answer this question as I want to know so as to do d necessary thing. Also note that KCC didnt include any document for me to take to waec like to other places.

Thank u and God bless.

4real4u,

Thanks for ur contributions here, it has helped a lot. Am a DV2009 winner and have completed my medicals and police report. My interview is coming up on 11th August 2009. Pls some people told me I would have to do waec verification even though I've my original certificate. Also, I will like to know if I can use two weac certificates to make up my 5 credits requirements. Pls anyone can answer this question as I want to know so as to do d necessary thing. Also note that KCC didnt include any document for me to take to waec like to other places.
Thank u and God bless.

Olubu12,

You dont need to do WAEC verification since u have your original cert.
As per the result, if there's anyone u hav Maths & English + 3 other credits u can use it, or any one u have English + 4 other credits its also kool, but if u dont have any option use the two.
The interview is all about God's favor.

I wish u all the best.

pls can anybody in the house tell me the number of days or month that police report takes to expire.my brother did his own on 20-07-09 while interview is scheduled for 27-08-09.hope its not to fast to do it.

4real4u,

Thank u and God bless.

You can combine 2 results so far it makes up the 5credits (Maths and English inclusive) and you don't need to verify since you have the certificates. To be on the safe side just go there with WAEC scratch card, so that if the worst happen they can always confirm online.

I hope it helps?

Good luck.

You can combine 2 results so far it makes up the 5credits (Maths and English inclusive) and you don't need to verify since you have the certificates. To be on the safe side just go there with WAEC scratch card, so that if the worst happen they can always confirm online.

I hope it helps?

Good luck.

Thanks a lot 4real4u. Am more than grateful. In any case I think I will follow ur advice and buy scratch card to be on a safer side. Meanwhile pls, I'll like to know where I can get d scratch card and if I do get it, how many will be needed for the 2 certificates? Also pls, my original birth certificate didnt write my names in d order of my filling my dv forms, int'l ppt and other documents, although my first and last names are written there. Do I need to get another birth certificate to be on a safer side becos I dont want any discrepancies in my documents. Although I intend doing another one by Monday which of course will bear the date of that monday. My concern now is doing a new birth cert will read d current date of the day I do it but wt d correct date of birth and names. Also, am doing this birth cert in my home town and dont know if it would be necessary, pls advice me. Thanks and I need a response from anyone urgently.

qualification for DV lottery is only by two ways like bammyrichie rightly said which are by education and work experience, if one is qualified by work experience the applicant will need to prove to the Consular Officer that He/She has got the necessary job experience to be able to proceed to the States after a successful visa interview. Does that job experience counts as something significant is another cup of tea when the 'Johnny Just Come' (JJC)gets to the States which is where Aywire is right.So therefore to my 2 Oga and MR,ceasefire!!. One love:cool:

i got you, but the requirement is that you must have basic education which is High School education, even if u have 40 yrs experience in a profession without a high school diploma (SSC) no american dream baba. Pls get it.

i got you, but the requirement is that you must have basic education which is High School education, even if u have 40 yrs experience in a profession without a high school diploma (SSC) no american dream baba. Pls get it.
hpy sunday 2u all, my oga AYWIRE, thanks 4ur understanding, how are u doing overthere? regards 2d family.
i met a guy @ d klinic during my medical and i gave dis thread address but he decided 2 called me after d interview on 23rd thursday, he z dat d interview was EASY and CHEAP. all we need 2 do is just be honest, not nervous. but he did not gve me d details of d questns asked by d co. i'll picking up d visa on thursday and he hope 2 leave 4 new york by august.

Thanks a lot 4real4u. Am more than grateful. In any case I think I will follow ur advice and buy scratch card to be on a safer side. Meanwhile pls, I'll like to know where I can get d scratch card and if I do get it, how many will be needed for the 2 certificates? Also pls, my original birth certificate didnt write my names in d order of my filling my dv forms, int'l ppt and other documents, although my first and last names are written there. Do I need to get another birth certificate to be on a safer side becos I dont want any discrepancies in my documents. Although I intend doing another one by Monday which of course will bear the date of that monday. My concern now is doing a new birth cert will read d current date of the day I do it but wt d correct date of birth and names. Also, am doing this birth cert in my home town and dont know if it would be necessary, pls advice me. Thanks and I need a response from anyone urgently.

You'll need one per certificate so buy 2 cards. As per the NPC certificate just go do it the date doesn't matter and make sure your name matches well. You can do it anywhere, so far they allow you.

Good luck.

Hello All,
I need a little info from the house, i hear the dollar rate in the black market has fallen drastically, how true is this?? A friend told me he did a change in the black market on thursday for N155 Any info? Cos if this is true one may start planning on paying the interview fee in dollars cos that could be cheaper.

People,
Pls any info as per above??

Any info as per current Embassy Rate??

Success is ours

Hi Benzobenzo,gasper2000,dotman,
Thanks for wishing me success in the states.i wish you guyz great success as well. Almost 99.9999% of this great forum used to always be successful.We shall all be successful in life (Amen).
Please house,if you receive your 2NL from postmaster dispatcher from NIPOST,pls give them this website to give it to all Dv winners in their area as they are delivery the 2NL to them.
If possible as well that any member of this site can write this website to where people do sit outside the embassy gate,for them to gain experience aswell,it'll be nice.
Let us preach to people about this site.........
Wish u all the best