• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2009 - Aos Only

thanks for responding ; have gotten GC

Hi ItsoFototo,

Thank you for repsonding to my post.

I also felt so strange about what the interview officer said and the way he dealt with my case after the interview, but it doesn't matter now, because I have gotten my green card!!! :)

Two days after my post, I saw on the online status check that I passed the interview and "card production order." When I received the welcome letter, I realized that four days before my post, I actually had already passed the interview, but USCIS didn't update my case online until six days after (which was two days after my post).... :mad: I was feeling worried and anxious for nothing.

Anyway, I feel much at peace now after receiving the green card.

Good luck to those people who are still waiting for the interview! You still have a chance to get the green card; don't give up!

Best,

Goldenapple

------------------

goldenapple,

Your number becomes current when the bulletin shows that. I don't know what they meant by "... the number isn't up". Do you know if your background check has been cleared? I think, that is the only thing that could delay your case after the interview (or missing documents). Also, I don't know why should they send your case back to the NBC. I thought the local office is the final destination. The adjudication after the interview normally is done by the interview officer's supervisor. Often, delays occur because the staff at the local offices don't know the DV process.

Do an InfoPass sooner. Don't wait for 30 days. If your case is not resolved in 2-3 weeks, contact your gov. representatives and congressman. Remember, the deadline is Sept. 30, so don't wait. Good Luck.

My interview experience

I had my interview today and I did not get any definitive answer.
The IO called up our names, we followed him to his office. He was very nice and talkative. We took the oath, he asked for IDs and Passports. He asked me about my adress and asked my wife about my date of birth. He then said that since I have a pending case under EB, I had to agree to sign a paper to cancel it. Then he went through the I-485 questions in 3rd page. He did the same stuff for my wife. He asked for marriage certificates, kids' birth certificate, proof of any shared assets or pictures, I gave him bank statements wince we have join account, mortgage statements and some house papers that prove that we're both owners. I didn't have any pictures. During all this time, he was telling us about other cases he had worked on ( some he denied!!)and mentioned that one must keep legal status in US to get approved. I told him that we've never been out of status.
Then he said that he requested our EB cases from another office and did not get them and that he needed to deny the EB case if he was to approve the DV case.
He then gave me his business card and said to call him if I don't hear anything by the 3rd week of September.

He gave us out IDs and passports back. He didn't take I-94s.

Overall, the interview went smooth but we don't have a decision on the case.
Now we wait and see!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my interview today and I did not get any definitive answer.
The IO called up our names, we followed him to his office. He was very nice and talkative. We took the oath, he asked for IDs and Passports. He asked me about my adress and asked my wife about my date of birth. He then said that since I have a pending case under EB, I had to agree to sign a paper to cancel it. Then he went through the I-485 questions in 3rd page. He did the same stuff for my wife. He asked for marriage certificates, kids' birth certificate, proof of any shared assets or pictures, I gave him bank statements wince we have join account, mortgage statements and some house papers that prove that we're both owners. I didn't have any pictures. During all this time, he was telling us about other cases he had worked on ( some he denied!!)and mentioned that one must keep legal status in US to get approved. I told him that we've never been out of status.
Then he said that he requested our EB cases from another office and did not get them and that he needed to deny the EB case if he was to approve the DV case.
He then gave me his business card and said to call him if I don't hear anything by the 3rd week of September.

He gave us out IDs and passports back. He didn't take I-94s.

Overall, the interview went smooth but we don't have a decision on the case.
Now we wait and see!!

Imados
Good luck , hopefully its just take it time before you got approved, as long as you dont have any thing major I dont see a reason to worry,..
I also had and EB case but mine was transfered before my interview, I didn't have to deny it, I just signed a paper for proceeding wihtout my company lawyer.

It seems to take a long time for the EB files to get to the local office. I'm still waiting for an interview letter. I got the status change message about my EB case being transfered to the local office on the 7th. I scheduled an infopass last Monday to ask about it and they told me it took a bit of time to get the case. They said it might be a few more days but it's been 1 1/2 weeks already. I'm thinking if push comes to shove, they might just interview us and approve or deny it with the option of revisiting their decision after September if they have to. At least that's what they implied when I went there the last time.

Imados
Good luck, I am sure you'll get your GC pretty soon. Keep us posted.

nlhanhla
Good luck to you too. I hope you receive your interview app soon.

I too have another EB AOS case and I am starting to get nervous about it. An IO told me (during an infopass) that I need to withdraw my pending EB AOS before sending my DV AOS case. It didn't make sense to me as my wife is using EAD and AP based on that AOS. It is frustrating that they give us wrong information.

Did you guys put that you already have an EB AOS pending case in your I-485 and/or the Cover Letter?

Good luck to everyone

Imados
Good luck, I am sure you'll get your GC pretty soon. Keep us posted.

nlhanhla
Good luck to you too. I hope you receive your interview app soon.

I too have another EB AOS case and I am starting to get nervous about it. An IO told me (during an infopass) that I need to withdraw my pending EB AOS before sending my DV AOS case. It didn't make sense to me as my wife is using EAD and AP based on that AOS. It is frustrating that they give us wrong information.

Did you guys put that you already have an EB AOS pending case in your I-485 and/or the Cover Letter?

Good luck to everyone

I am surprised why would they ask you to drop one of the cases, they can all go along until one of them is approved, I have an EB and it was transfered to local office but no one asked me to withdraw it,

my suggestion for all of you is just to push them with congress and sentaor office iquieries, and also make more appointment . show them you are worried about the september cutoff and they will push you interview and get you scheduled sooner if everything is completed.

I am surprised why would they ask you to drop one of the cases, they can all go along until one of them is approved, I have an EB and it was transfered to local office but no one asked me to withdraw it,

my suggestion for all of you is just to push them with congress and sentaor office iquieries, and also make more appointment . show them you are worried about the september cutoff and they will push you interview and get you scheduled sooner if everything is completed.

I agree here. How can they ask you to withdraw it if the DV hasn't been approved yet. Just push for your interview date through infopass or senator/congressman. You have here in this forum many cases with EB and the procedure is the same, they transfer the EB case to DV local office so they can deny it and approve DV. It shouldn't be any different for you.
Good luck!!

I just checked the cases online and I see soft LUDs 8/25 and again 8/26 on both cases. The IO must be working on it. :)

Imados and mabdall2

It took me by surprise when the Immigration Officer told me that I needed to withdraw my pending AOS before sending the package to the USCIS for the DV AOS. I asked the IO about my wife's status if I withdraw my EB case and she said something like I would have the withdrawal note and that it should be enough to prove her status. I didn't buy it and then I found this forum with people in the same situation so I am not withdrawing my current EB case.

I am a DV 2010 winner and my case number will be current in November 2009. This forum has been a great source of information. When I first received the NL I was totally lost but now I know what to expect and how to react should my case gets stuck for some reason.

Good luck Imados, it seems you'll get your welcome note very soon :D

Thanks again!

I don't think anyone at USCIS knows the right procedure. It must just depend on the particular officer conducting the interview. When I went for an infopass before sending in my application, they told me to make sure to withdraw the EB case if the Diversity one was approved. They told me the 2 would not affect each other at all. Now the story changes. Anyway, will just have to explore all my options and hopefully all is done by September 30th.

I don't think anyone at USCIS knows the right procedure. It must just depend on the particular officer conducting the interview. When I went for an infopass before sending in my application, they told me to make sure to withdraw the EB case if the Diversity one was approved. They told me the 2 would not affect each other at all. Now the story changes. Anyway, will just have to explore all my options and hopefully all is done by September 30th.

Hello nlhanhla,

I agree, it seems that the officers at USCIS don't know much about the DV processing. Actually, less than 1,500 DV cases per year are AOS, the rest are CP. I also heard one case that, after the DV was approved, the officer told the applicant to leave the EB case continue its normal processing.

Do you have any news regarding your interview? Are you going to turn to a congressman to help in your case?

Good luck!

Thanks!!
My only concern is by the time the IO gets the EB file and he is ready to approve the DV case, there won't be any visa numbers available!!

According to the statistics, they never use all the 50K visas in a Fiscal Year. You will be OK. Good luck and keep us posted!

Hello nlhanhla,

I agree, it seems that the officers at USCIS don't know much about the DV processing. Actually, less than 1,500 DV cases per year are AOS, the rest are CP. I also heard one case that, after the DV was approved, the officer told the applicant to leave the EB case continue its normal processing.

Do you have any news regarding your interview? Are you going to turn to a congressman to help in your case?

Good luck!

Thanks guys for your help. I probably won't do the congressman thing. I'm sure they'll eventually interview us before the deadline. Will just keep going there and following up. I'm stepping it up to every week now.

Hi, I have been updating this blog since I got my first NL. My case No. AS201028XXX.
I am in US and decided to do AOS and paid fees ($375x2)but after reading this blog it seems we will be in trouble doing AOS due to our high CN and hectic processing in USCIS. My wife is DV winner. Please help me decide if I should do AOS or CP but I have already paid AOs fees ( do you think I can get reimbursed?). If we happen to do CP how early we need to go home country? 'Cause I am in work visa, I can not leave US for long time. Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thank you for all the information and support.

Hi, I have been updating this blog since I got my first NL. My case No. AS201028XXX.
I am in US and decided to do AOS and paid fees ($375x2)but after reading this blog it seems we will be in trouble doing AOS due to our high CN and hectic processing in USCIS. My wife is DV winner. Please help me decide if I should do AOS or CP but I have already paid AOs fees ( do you think I can get reimbursed?). If we happen to do CP how early we need to go home country? 'Cause I am in work visa, I can not leave US for long time. Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thank you for all the information and support.

I dont think your CN is that high. According to DV2009, the CN of AS 28XXX was current in june, 3 to 4 months before Sep. 30. My number was AF 47XXX which was current in july (later than yours) and I got my interview letter july 1st, interviewed july 30th, received green card, Aug 13(All done 1 month and half before deadline)

the most important thing is that you submit your AOS application at least 2 months before your CN would be current, so you will allow time for USCIS for application processing, biometrics, name check, by the end of all of these your number would be current...

Good luck

Rabie

Hello maila,

Some people suggest that CP is better than AOS but there are pros and cons. There have been AOS cases that were filed late, and they were approved in a month or so.

The amount that you paid is for the Diversity Visa Lottery surcharge and it is paid for both CP and AOS. The difference is that in CP cases you pay it during the Consular Interview and for AOS cases you send your payment to the DOS.

If you decide to go for CP you will need to pay the rest of the fees (Immigrant visa application processing fee and Immigrant visa security surcharge) at the Consular Office at the time of your consular interview. Bring the receipt of your payment to the Consular interview so you can prove that it was already paid.

If you choose CP you need to send a note to the DOS so they can process your case and send it to the US Consulate in your country. The DOS will schedule your interview and you will receive a letter with the date, time, and location of the interview. You will need to travel early so you can do the Medical, Police Certificates, etc before the interview.

One of the risks of CP is that you could get stuck abroad if something goes wrong with your name check. Sometimes they deny your reentry after they deny the DV.

I suggest you read the forums for 2008 and 2009 before making a decision.

These links could help:
http://forums.immigration.com/showpost.php?p=1959166&postcount=1963
http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=229911

Good luck!

One of the risks of CP is that you could get stuck abroad if something goes wrong with your name check.

And another major difference between AOS and CP to consider, is that you absolutely cannot appeal consular decision, whereas while doing AOS you have an option of going to the court, asking for you congressman's help, etc. You may not need if in most cases, but if you need, it is nice to be able to use it.