• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2009 - Aos Only

Interview Experience

My interview was today and I am not sure of how it went. My appointment was schedule for 12:00 PM and I arrived at 11:40 AM in Charleston SC. I waited for one and half hours after which I was called in. The interviewer asked me if my case was DV then she told me that she had requested my file from KCC and hadn’t received it so she couldn’t approve it at that point (PS I paid the KCC fee some 2 months ago). She went ahead and asked me the questions on the I485 and whether I was married or had children which I don’t. She then told me that it will take about a week to receive my file at USCIS after which if everything is good she will send me a letter. She took my phone number and that seemed to be the end. I asked a few questions creatively to try and see whether I was in the clear but she didn’t fall for it. My hope is that this will be over soon!
May 21, 2009: Paid DV FEE $375.00
May 26, 2009: Receipt for payment of DV Fee Received
June 22, 2009: Medicals Completed
July 01, 2009: Sent AOS package with $1010 Fee
July 08, 2009: Receipts from AOS package received
July 11, 2009: Biometrics Notification Received
Aug 05, 2009: Biometrics Completed
Aug 06, 2009: Interview Notice Received
Aug 18, 2009: Interview completed:confused:

Our Journey

We had asked some queries on 17Aug09 on this forum. We never did INFOPASS for no reason at all! Anyway on 17Aug09 we checked our mail and here’s the story we want to tell.

We were FIRST interviewed on 23Jul09 and after that given a letter stating ‘adjudicative review’…’no documents required’. And our I-94s were taken from our passports. We left that interview with no DEFINITE ANSWERS, however, no negative answers. 50 50 situation!

Anyway we kept posting queries on this forum “about what to do”! We never did INFOPASS, don't know why (?). And then on 17Aug09 we checked our mail and we were called for second interview on 19Aug09. Just imagine if we were not home/ did not check mail etc.

However, cut the story short:
We arrived at interview on 19Aug09 scheduled for 11am, we were there by 10.25am. The same IO who took first interview came to take us for interview around 10.55am. We had carried all our documents once again. IO asked again questions, like ‘…same address..’ ‘any travel plans’ and explained technicalities. This must have been about 20/25 minutes. And then he quietly informed us ‘YOU HAVE BEEN APPROVED’!!!!! We were quite did no say anything and he gave us ‘WELCOME LETTER’ stating we should receive GC in 90days. He then asked ‘HOW DOES IT FEEL’? We replied ‘GREAT, and THIS IS A GREAT DAY’.

We then shook hands took the WELCOME LETTER and when we were outside the building we ‘CONGRATULATED EACH OTHER & OF COURSE, KISSED’!!!!!
We want to thank everyone on this forum for GIVING GREAT ADVICE AND POSITIVE HOPES!

In fact this forum is the only place for people applying for AOS with DV program. There are hardly any attorneys who know about DV program. And therefore this forum is of great help to people like us who are applying without attorneys.
THANKS YOU IMMIGRATIONPORTAL FORUM and WE WISH SUCCESSFUL AOS APPLICATION FOR ALL ON THIS FORUM, BEST OF LUCK!

By the way we counted about approved 40 AOS DV Program based cases on this forum who have received GC.

OUR SUMMARIZED JOURNEY:
Case Number: DV2009AS4XXX
Application mailed: 27APR09
NOA: 2MAY09
BIOMETRICS: not required/approved from EB application
1st INTERVIEW: 23Jul09
2nd INTERVIEW: 19Aug09
WELCOME LETTER: 19Aug09
Green Card: 90days

We had asked some queries on 17Aug09 on this forum. We never did INFOPASS for no reason at all! Anyway on 17Aug09 we checked our mail and here’s the story we want to tell.
OUR SUMMARIZED JOURNEY:
Case Number: DV2009AS4XXX
Application mailed: 27APR09
NOA: 2MAY09
BIOMETRICS: not required/approved from EB application
1st INTERVIEW: 23Jul09
2nd INTERVIEW: 19Aug09
WELCOME LETTER: 19Aug09
Green Card: 90days

bhshvKTMpk,

Congratulations!!

As the IO said, we will contact you within 30 days and they did. You worried a bit too much (which is normal) but usually, USCIS won't leave a case hanging like that, especially after interview.

Enjoy!!

Imados, thanks. We wish you Best of Luck for your interview.

By the way our passports were not stamped, is this ok, ANOTHER WORRY!

Imados, please let us know how the interview went.

Best of Luck to Everyone.

Congratulations bhshvKTMpk!

May I ask why did you have 2 interviews? Is it related with your previous AOS? I too have another pending AOS but it is employment based.

i2009, thanks. The second interview was not related to EB. We do not the reason, however, we now feel it was a necessary formality.

But read our comment: 'What if we were not home, gone out, not checked our mail' etc. We checked our mail on 17Aug09 and we had to report 19Aug09!!!!!
Anyway, All the best of luck for your second interview.

Anyone: Please is it required for passports to be stamped after GC approval? As we were given Welcome Letter but no stamp in passport!

i2009, thanks. The second interview was not related to EB. We do not the reason, however, we now feel it was a necessary formality.

But read our comment: 'What if we were not home, gone out, not checked our mail' etc. We checked our mail on 17Aug09 and we had to report 19Aug09!!!!!
Anyway, All the best of luck for your second interview.

Anyone: Please is it required for passports to be stamped after GC approval? As we were given Welcome Letter but no stamp in passport!

They usually don't stamp the passport if the Cards are on their way. Check your online status, it should say CPO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Imados: like you advised we checked the USCIS website and IT SAYS: "CPO ORDERED...30DAYS TO RECEIVE..." Thanks for your suggestion, WE WERE SO EXCITED WE DID NOT THINK ABOUT CHECKING STATUS ONLINE. Thanks.
Please inform us about your Interview and GIVE US THE GOOD NEWS ASAP!
Best of Luck Imados.

OUR THANKS TO ALL ON THIS FORUM. However, special thanks to Imados & Itsofototo.

THIS FORUM IS VERY HELPFUL FOR DV PROGRAM AOS APPLICANTS!!!!!!! and is simply EXCELLENT!

ALL THE BEST TO EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM.

HI There,
I would like to share my interview experience and journey I had with USCIS.
After waiting for over 1 and half month after we did the finger print we didn’t receive any interview letter, so I had to contact the congress office, they usually respond back after 30 days. Which I also had to go again to local USCIS office to inquire about our case, since my wife had a job offer and it depend on her having the GC, so we told them this and they said they will check and let us know.
We had to go back to USCIS after 3 weeks again since we didn’t hear from them, so at that time they had us to meet with and Officer there, and the first thing he asked us about was the passports which we didn’t have that time so he told us “ rule of thumb , always bring you passport with you to any USCIS appointment “.

He asked us all questions and then he said he need more time and should call us after 2-3 days. Which didn’t happen and we had to go back to UCIS again after 3 week again and they told us that the notification for interview was sent to us and our interview is scheduled for August 20.

` Lesson learned:
• Always include your Congress or Senator office if you felt things are delayed.
• Don’t hesitate to make appointment with local office the more they see you the more they will get you ahead on schedule.
• Always have you passport ready when you go for USCIS, you never know you might have an interview that time.

Now I will take you through my Interview process,
Our interviews where schedule for August 20, my wife was at 7:30 and mine was at 8:00, we went there around 7:15 and by 7:30 the officer called my wife for her interview, I waited out side , and after the auth he asked for ids and second he start asking about the High school diploma , which happened that we didn’t bring it and also asked about the university diploma which also we forgot to take we had the I-20 and letter of acceptance but forgot all the degrees or diplomas. Then he asked about the marriage certificate , my wife came out for me to get it and at that time she was sure she will be denied since we didn’t have any of the document he asked for. After that he called me for interview and my wife was there he also asked for my id and when through the application for the I-485 questions .He also asked about Original birth certificate.

After going over all the questions he had, went into his computer and wanted to see if there is a visa number and if we were approved. Then my wife was approved and after that he did the same to me and THANK GOD we were both approved.
After that he stamped our passports and provide us with a letter that says we were granted the adjustment of status, and the web site status was changed same day to show “ CARD PRODUCTION OFRDERED”

The guy tried to scare us couple of time and he seems to enjoy it, but he was a nice guy over all with the document we were missing but he was understandable.

So I would like to say THANKS to everyone in this forum that was for a great help for us during this long process.

Imados,

I did send a copy of my HS diploma along with the AOS package, but the IO wanted to see the original. If you have a higher degree of education, make sure you show them that diploma. Otherwise, if you can't get the original HS diploma by the interview, just hope for the best. Good Luck!

Imados,

I did send a copy of my HS diploma along with the AOS package, but the IO wanted to see the original. If you have a higher degree of education, make sure you show them that diploma. Otherwise, if you can't get the original HS diploma by the interview, just hope for the best. Good Luck!

Thanks ItsoFototo.
I managed to get a copy of the HS diploma (I didn't send it with my package) but not the original. I do have all the documents regarding my bachelor's degree, and I am 2 classes away from getting my Master's. Like you said, I am hoping fot the best!!

Now I will take you through my Interview process,
Our interviews where schedule for August 20, my wife was at 7:30 and mine was at 8:00, we went there around 7:15 and by 7:30 the officer called my wife for her interview, I waited out side , and after the auth he asked for ids and second he start asking about the High school diploma , which happened that we didn’t bring it and also asked about the university diploma which also we forgot to take we had the I-20 and letter of acceptance but forgot all the degrees or diplomas. Then he asked about the marriage certificate , my wife came out for me to get it and at that time she was sure she will be denied since we didn’t have any of the document he asked for...

mabdall2,

Congratulations!!

I do have a question for you. You said you didn't have the originals (HS diploma and I-20) with you, did you submit the copies with your application or not?

Thanks.

Where did you send the I-485 form + additional papers to?
In the letter my friend received it is saying to send it to your local office, but on the I-485 info it is stating Chicago (she lives in Florida)....

If it is Tampa, than there are 2 different offices...this is not making it easy for her. I wish they just put the address in the letter. The rest is all clear and ready to be sent in.

In the letter my friend received it is saying to send it to your local office, but on the I-485 info it is stating Chicago (she lives in Florida)....

If it is Tampa, than there are 2 different offices...this is not making it easy for her. I wish they just put the address in the letter. The rest is all clear and ready to be sent in.

DV cases go to Chicago Lockbox. The instructions for the I-485 state that. Look it up!!

mabdall2,

Congratulations!!

I do have a question for you. You said you didn't have the originals (HS diploma and I-20) with you, did you submit the copies with your application or not?

Thanks.

Actually we didn't send the HS diploma, for the I-485 we send the college BS diploma, but we forgot to take it to the interview, he asked for it, and it seems important that you take it, but he was nice at the end.

my understanding is you have to take whatever that prove your are eligible for this DV, which is the minimum of HS Diploma or the Work experience thing..

YOu have to send everything to Chicago, the I 485 instruction is general , but for DV it has to go to one place the chicago office..

as for Tampa there is only one place the cypress road office is the one you should contact if you need to