• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2009 - Aos Only

We had earlier applied through Employment Based GC. This was rejected in March09 for '..employer's ability to pay...'
Our current status is legal.
We applied in April09 for GC through DV. The application was received on 2May09 at Chicago and transferred to Lee' Summit MSC
Last year October08 we were asked to do Biometrics/FP. We have received interview letter for July09. However, still have not received the Biometrics Letter. IS IT POSSIBLE THAT WE DO NOT HAVE TO DO BIOMETRICS AS THE PREVIOUS APPLICATION'S BIOMETRICS RECORD/clearance of Oct08 IS WITH THEM?
Please any input

We had earlier applied through Employment Based GC. This was rejected in March09 for '..employer's ability to pay...'
Our current status is legal.
We applied in April09 for GC through DV. The application was received on 2May09 at Chicago and transferred to Lee' Summit MSC
Last year October08 we were asked to do Biometrics/FP. We have received interview letter for July09. However, still have not received the Biometrics Letter. IS IT POSSIBLE THAT WE DO NOT HAVE TO DO BIOMETRICS AS THE PREVIOUS APPLICATION'S BIOMETRICS RECORD/clearance of Oct08 IS WITH THEM?
Please any input

HI There,
Rule of thumb every application will have its own Biometrics, and sometimes they will ask you to do it again for the same application.

I also applied for my GC thru employer since Aug 2007 and was never called for Biometrics. and I applied again thru the DV on March of this year, I was called for fingerprints within 3 weeks, but I never rec'd the interview notice,

now I got a letter that even my old Employer GC app is transfered to local office.
I had to call the congressman office and I am still waiting :mad:

Has anyone here who has already submitted their I-485 AOS package include a police certificate from their country of origin and/or the state they live in the US now? I called USCIS and evreytime I spoke to someone, they gave me a different answer as to whether it's required. From my understanding the police certificate is for CP or I485 supplement only. Is this correct?

We received our Greencards today :D:D:D Thanks to everyone on this board for all their help & advice!! Best of luck to those still in the process of AOS ;)

BlueT41 - Yes the police certificate is required for CP only not for AOS.

Interview experience

Well, it’s done. However, I wish I could say it is over. We finally had our interview yesterday and it was similar to the interviews of other forum members.

Our interview was scheduled at 11:00 AM. My wife and I got there at about 10:30 AM. After going through security the officer at the registration window took our appointment forms and asked us to wait for our names to be called. At about 10:55 AM, an officer came out to the waiting area an informed everybody there that the system was down and that was going to delay the interviews and that everybody should be patient.

Our names were called at 11:05 (note that my wife and I had different appointment times: 11:30 and 11:00, respectively). We thought the system was up and running again (more on than below). We followed the officer to his office. He asked us not to sit down yet because we had to take the oath. He then told us to sit down and asked us to see our passports and driver’s licenses. He then proceeded to remove the I-94s from both passports and asked us to remind him to return our passports to us after the interview was over in case he forgets to do that. Since I was the primary applicant, he said that he was going to start with my case and opened my file. He asked me every single question on the I-485 form: name, DOB, address, current immigration status, date of last entry, occupation, parents’ names, whether I was married or not, my wife’s name, her DOB, whether we had kids or not, and some of the questions on page 3 of the form (he only asked 6 or 7 of those). He made a check mark with a red pen on every single field of the form. He finally asked me about the telephone number that I had entered at the end of the form. I told him that it was my cell phone and I was still using that number. Overall I would say he was very friendly.

He then reviewed form I-693. He made a check mark again next to some of the questions. After that, he continued going through my file. When he reached the DV notification letter, he asked me why we had waited so long to submit the AOS documents if our DV number was low. I explained him that we had submitted the documents when our number became current (April 1st) and that this year the numbers for our region (SA) had been given out at a lower rate than years before. He explained us that we could have submitted the AOS documents as soon as our number was published on the Visa Bulletin, about 60 days before April 1st. I told him that I had heard that but that I had decided against that just to be on the safe side.

Finally, he told me that every thing looked fine and that my case looked “approvable.” He then tried to get into the system but it was still down! He told us that because of that he was not going to be able to give us any information! He told us that he wanted to verify that a number was available but that he could not do that without having access to the system :eek: . I looked at my wife and we just could not believe that was happening. He finally took a post it note and placed it on my file. He wrote “approvable” on the post it and put the file on top of a box that was next to his desk.

He then said that the only thing that could be done was to continue the interview and that he was going to enter the information into the system at a later time. He opened my wife’s file and proceeded to ask her the exact set of questions that I was asked. He noticed that my wife was still using her maiden name and asked her if she wanted to change it. He told her that that was the moment to do it. My wife told him that she would prefer to keep her last name (We had decided to keep it this way, otherwise she would have to change all of her other documents).

He then said that he was going to make copies of our passports and driver’s licenses and he stepped out of his office. When he came back he told us that the interview was over and that we should hear from them in 60 days. If not, we should schedule an Infopass to inquire on the status of our case. He also reminded us about the Sept. 30 deadline.

Even though it appears to have been a successful interview, we walked out neither happy nor sad. I guess the frustrating part was that we could not find out anything about our case.

We had brought a LOT of papers with us. I had a thick accordion folder with all our documents. I had even asked a relative to fill out form I-134 just in case we were asked for that form. But the only thing the officer asked for were our passports and driver’s licenses. That was it.

I want to thank all of you that have shared your experiences in this forum. We could have not done it with out your help and support. To those that are still in the process, hang in there. Stay on top of your cases, schedule Infopass appointments and, if necessary, write to your congressman. That has worked for a lot of people in this forum.

For DV-2010 winners, the only piece of advice I would give you is to take your time and go through this thread and the DV-2008 AOS thread. You will find almost all the information you will need to submit a complete AOS package. Most importantly, you will learn about all the road blocks that the system will put on your path and what previous applicants did in those cases. It takes time but it’s time well worth it. I did not know anything about this process when I received the first NL, almost 14 months ago.

I will keep you guys posted on the progress of our case.

Good luck everyone.

Jarev

Last edited by a moderator:
HI There,
Rule of thumb every application will have its own Biometrics, and sometimes they will ask you to do it again for the same application.

I also applied for my GC thru employer since Aug 2007 and was never called for Biometrics. and I applied again thru the DV on March of this year, I was called for fingerprints within 3 weeks, but I never rec'd the interview notice,

now I got a letter that even my old Employer GC app is transfered to local office.
I had to call the congressman office and I am still waiting :mad:

Guys - I am in the same situation. Applied for AOS through EB in July07 and was called for biometrics in October07. I applied for DV in June09 and didn't get biometrics notice. I then called USCIS and spoke to an IO regarding the issue and she said that they my biometrics have been registered and I shouldn't worry. So, if you get the interview letter without the biometrics, you should be fine. Actually it's a good thing, your case is being looked at by an IO.

Good Luck!!

Well, it’s done. However, I wish I could say it is over. We finally had our interview yesterday and it was similar to the interviews of other forum members.

Our interview was scheduled at 11:00 AM. My wife and I got there at about 10:30 AM. After going through security the officer at the registration window took our appointment forms and asked us to wait for our names to be called. At about 10:55 AM, an officer came out to the waiting area an informed everybody there that the system was down and that was going to delay the interviews and that everybody should be patient.

Jarev

This sucks. System is down at the time of your interview. Oh man.
Hope all goes smooth from here - check your status update online and see if there are any LUDs.

Congratulations ac8808 and Jarev! Jarev, thanks for the detailed description of your interview experience. You should be alright. You're over the big hump now and you still have plenty of time.

BlueT41,

Most people didn't have the police or court certificate and they were fine. However, it's in the list of documents in the instructions from KCC that you got with the Notification Letter, and it doesn't say weather it's for CP or AOS. You should do it just in case, and if it's not a big hassle for you. I submitted a police and court certificate from my home country and police certificates from each of the two states of my residency in the U.S. Good luck!

BlueT41,

I think if it is not a problem for you to get the Police Certificate you should have it just in case. As you may have noticed my case is being delayed because of a Form that is not required which I didn't submit and that after reading the threads here 3 times and talking to 4-5 lawyers.
I think my advice to everyone is just submit any document you can think of especially if you have high number, it's really not worth the risk.

Status update

I just checked the status of my case online.... it says "Card production ordered"! :D

Best of luck to everyone.

Jarev

Jarev,

You're almost there. You should be patient. We were at the same situation and our green cards approved nearly 40 days after the interview. I hope you're green card going to approve very soon.

June 25, 2008 : 2nd Letter KCC
December 5, 2008 : Medical Exam
December 8, 2008 : $375*4 fee to DOS
December 20, 2008 : DOS Receipt
January 16, 2009 : AOS package to Chicago
January 28 , 2009 : Checks cashed
February 2 , 2009 : NOA
February 7, 2009 : Biometrics letter received
February 18,2009 : Biometrics Done
March 26,2009 : Interview letter received for May 6
May 6,2009 : Interview completed.
June 15,2009 : Card production ordered.Except our little daugter.
June 17,2009 : Welcome notice arrived except our little daughter.
June 18,2009 : Biometrics appointment for our little one again.
June 19,2009 : Biometrics done for our little daughter.
June 19,2009 : Finally card production ordered for our little daughter.

Waiting for our Green Cards.

Jarev,

Your case is so fast. :)
Congratulations...

Case Number: EU00013XXX
May 8, 2008 : Letter KCC (NL)
May 12, 2008 : Form sent to KCC
June 25, 2008 : 2nd Letter KCC
December 5, 2008 : Medical Exam
December 8, 2008 : $375*4 fee to DOS
December 20, 2008 : DOS Receipt
January 16, 2009 : AOS package to Chicago
January 28 , 2009 : Checks cashed
February 2 , 2009 : NOA
February 7, 2009 : Biometrics letter received
February 18,2009 : Biometrics Done
March 26,2009 : Interview letter received for May 6
May 6,2009 : Interview completed.
June 15,2009 : Card production ordered.Except our little daugter.
June 17,2009 : Welcome notice arrived except our little daughter.
June 18,2009 : Biometrics appointment for our little one again.
June 19,2009 : Biometrics done for our little daughter.
June 19,2009 : Finally card production ordered for our little daughter.

Waiting for our Green Cards.

Jarev,
Congratulations that's great.

Can you let us know what is your regional office, it would be helpful to know processing times in different offices.

I will keep posting how my problem will be resolved since I think it may be helpful for other DV winners.

After such a pointless delay I am really not sure anymore if we will manage before Sept 30th. The case can get stuck for no reason whatsoever at any level of this whole process and not move for months. I guess at the end it all comes down to luck, let's hope it works out.:)

Gregory,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems. It can be frustrating to deal with USCIS sometimes, specially when some of the employees do not know what documents are required for DV cases. The good thing is that you still have plenty of time.

Give USCIS a couple of days to process the documents you just sent them. If you do not hear back from them in about a week and a half or two, schedule an Infopass. If you do not get any new information about your case then, write to your congressman. I am sure s/he will be able to move your case forward.

Good luck!

Hi Guys,

My number is 2009AF00059XXX. My concern is that the number becomes current in August according to the visa bullentin. Upon review of the forum, I cant make up my mind whether to send the I485 to chicago lockbox early or just to wait, because thats such a small window. I have seen the 90 day in advance submission however I have not seen a success story of early submission. Does anyone know whether there is any success in early submission? Your words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Guys,

My number is 2009AF00059XXX. My concern is that the number becomes current in August according to the visa bullentin. Upon review of the forum, I cant make up my mind whether to send the I485 to chicago lockbox early or just to wait, because thats such a small window. I have seen the 90 day in advance submission however I have not seen a success story of early submission. Does anyone know whether there is any success in early submission? Your words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Usually you can submit as soon as your number shows up in the visa bulletin, that comes to about 45 days or so ,early. If you want to see success stories go through this thread and the 2008 thread. There are a few on those 2 threads.

Early Submission

Usually you can submit as soon as your number shows up in the visa bulletin, that comes to about 45 days or so ,early. If you want to see success stories go through this thread and the 2008 thread. There are a few on those 2 threads.

Thanks nlhanhla. Did you submit yours before it was current? And if so, did you send it with a copy of the USCIS notice of permission for early submission? Any details will be appreciated.:confused: Anybody else who has had success or knows something, kindly let me know. Thanks.

Thanks nlhanhla. Did you submit yours before it was current? And if so, did you send it with a copy of the USCIS notice of permission for early submission? Any details will be appreciated.:confused: Anybody else who has had success or knows something, kindly let me know. Thanks.

I don't know about the notice part. I scheduled an infopass to get the application packet from the local USCIS office. They told me to just include a print out of the visa bulletin and circle the number that was going to be current and pertained to my apllication. I'm not out of the woods yet, so don't bank on what I say. If anyone has better ideas, please share............ If you look for the timelines in peoples' signatures you'll find some who sent in their applications before their numbers were current and got thier GC's. I went thru the posts and double checked with the visa bulletin archives just to be sure when thier numbers were current. You can't afford not to file early in your case. Otherwise you'll only have 2 months to process your case. On average, most cases seem to take about 3 months for the faster ones. I suggest again that you go thru the threads so you can make an informed decision.