• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2009 - Aos Only

Hi all,
I have won the DV2010 and would like to ask a questions for you
how long does it take to get the visa after the interview I am a male from
Middle East and I saw it could take some times for them to make security check?
if i need to travel 2-3 days after the interview what should i do (Ask the counsel about that or what)?

Thanks

GC Received!!!

Update: Today we have received our GC's!!:D exactly 10 days after interview.

Thank God and thank you everybody..our journey took 1 year and 10 days since we received our 1st NL.

Kakaco,yours is coming very soon if you haven't received it!

Also why are you waiting until June to file? My number is probably coming up in July and am getting ready to file in May .

Guys -

Anybody filed early this year and had issues with USCIS or didn't have any for that matter?

Please share your experiences.

Thanks!!

My understanding is that you can only file the date your number is current. There were arguments about whether the USCIS rejects early filings, I am just not sure about this - So yes, I'm being careful!
As far as the packet, I believe I know what forms to file from people's experiences reflected in this and other threads. Let me know when you got your packet and see what may be different.
I also have another question. I sent the fee to DS via bank money order and I just realized that the letter said US postal mony order. Is this a problem? I wouldn't think so, a money order is a money order as far as I know!!!

Thanks!
They give you two options: a postal money order or a bank cashier check. If you did the latter, you'll be fine.

Congratulations, santay!

Hi all,
I have won the DV2010 and would like to ask a questions for you
how long does it take to get the visa after the interview I am a male from
Middle East and I saw it could take some times for them to make security check?
if i need to travel 2-3 days after the interview what should i do (Ask the counsel about that or what)?

Thanks
Congratulations! Normally, it takes a few weeks, but yes, unfortunately, some guys from the Middle East do get a longer background check. There's ways to speed up the process, if your case gets stuck. I suggest that you read the whole threads on this forum for DV AOS 2009 and 2008. If you need to travel after you file for AOS, and before you get the GC, you can apply for an Advance Parole, which is part of the AOS package. What is your current number? You can compare it to the bulletins, from this and previous years, to estimate the time your number will become current.

Update: Today we have received our GC's!!:D exactly 10 days after interview.

Thank God and thank you everybody..our journey took 1 year and 10 days since we received our 1st NL.

Kakaco,yours is coming very soon if you haven't received it!

CONGRATULATIONS SANTAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hah hahh I am at work right now, since u ve received urs today I can not wait to go home and check mine:) Good luck to u!!! I hope I will give the good news to u. I am moving out from the city in 9 days so I am anxiously waiting for the card!!!

Folks,

Got a cross question ..

I really need a suggestion from you guys. I am under F1 OPT (expires on 20th July) in US and lost my job last month. My case number is 31,9XX and it looks like it will be current on July. So how wise is to switch from AOS to CP after I see the advanced notification on June Visa bulletin. Should I go for CP or stick with the AOS. I am very very confused what should I do and also i don't know if time will be enough to swtich to CP after seeing visa bulliten of June next month. Also I learnt from this forum that there is a big chance on getting a visa with CP rather than AOS.

Thanks
kathmandunp

Does the 20th of July include the 60 days grace period at the end of the OPT period?
It is also important to remember that if you are unemployed for greater than 90days on OPT, you become out of status. Maybe if you have another job, then you can try to decide between AOS and CP. But if it not possible to get another job, your best bet would be to do CP since by June it would be three months and you wouldn't want to risk been out of status.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the reply.

Yes with grace period it can go up to Sept 20 if I do not get another job. But i think i will get a job very soon. The thing that I am worried about is if my number becomes current on July , is 3 months period enough for AOS? Now I am in dilemma that wheather to go for the JOB and risk my GC because of slower AOS processing OR should I go back to my country and do CP.

Any tips will be highly appreciated.

Thanks !
kathmandunp

Finally it is over:)

I received the card today!!!!! I can not explain how happy I am:)
Santay, today is our relief day:) congrats on urs again!!!
Thanks so much guys for eveything and good luck to everybody who is still dealing with the process!!!

Interview. Welcome letter.

hi everybody!!!
It's time for me to share my interview experience. We had our interview on April 14th, last week, in NYC. It was NOT nice, in fact it was terrible. We were inside for about 20-30 minutes. It looked like the officer was not comletely aware of our case and was going through the applications and asking questions. Then he took our I94s, old EADs, signed in passports "pending" and said will be hearing from them in 60 days. We had no idea if the interview went fine, so it was painful to think of this 60 days.:confused: But yestarday (6 days after interview) we recieved our Welcome letters!!!!:D We are sooo happy and gratful!!!:D
Tis forum is a huge help and support!! thanks and good luck to everybody!!!!

P.S. For those who is in NYC. Bring everything you can. Tax returns, tax returns for I-134, copies of EVERYTHING, etc. My officer was not really nice during interivew (we got aproved though, i can't complain), don't pay attention, just be ready to answer the questions.

I received the card today!!!!! I can not explain how happy I am:)
Santay, today is our relief day:) congrats on urs again!!!
Thanks so much guys for eveything and good luck to everybody who is still dealing with the process!!!

Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!I'm so happy for you kakaco and goodluck with your moving.

NataliaS, congratulations to you too!

Interview

DId anyone have his interview before name check cleared? Can a congressman help expedite name check process?

Thanks for your help

Checking case status online

I received the NOA about a week ago and the biometric appointment letter on Friday. However, the receipt number cannot be found on CRIS. Based on your experience, how long would you say it takes to view the status of a case online? Do I have to wait until after the biometrics appointment to be able to see my case online?

Thanks.

Folks,

Got a cross question ..

I really need a suggestion from you guys. I am under F1 OPT (expires on 20th July) in US and lost my job last month. My case number is 31,9XX and it looks like it will be current on July. So how wise is to switch from AOS to CP after I see the advanced notification on June Visa bulletin. Should I go for CP or stick with the AOS. I am very very confused what should I do and also i don't know if time will be enough to swtich to CP after seeing visa bulliten of June next month. Also I learnt from this forum that there is a big chance on getting a visa with CP rather than AOS.

Thanks
kathmandunp
kathmandunp, you have to make that decision for yourself. However, it might be wiser to go for CP, as you will get an interview within a few weeks after filing. AOS, normally, takes 3 months. Although, there were a few cases last year where people, with high numbers, did AOS and within 1.5 - 2 months they got approved. Good luck!

Congratulations NataliaS and Kakaco!

NataliaS, you are the second person here, that I know, who had a NYC case and both of you did not have an easy interview. That makes me a little bit worried. What were the hard questions? Can you share some details?

Is there anybody else here, who has done, or going to, an interview in NYC? Thanks.

DId anyone have his interview before name check cleared? Can a congressman help expedite name check process?

Thanks for your help
Sometimes, people do get longer background check. Congressmen, in general, can help speed up things when your case gets stuck in some bureaucratic loop. It may not always work, but you should try, if you think it's taking too long.

ItsoFototo,

Thanks for the reply. If end of September is approaching, do they speed up the processing?
Has AOS processing improved as compared to previous years?

Thanks
kathmandunp

Congrats Kakaco & NataliaS.... ;)

NataliaS...I would also like to know more about your interview experience as we are currently waiting on our interview date for NYC.... now I'm starting to get quite nervous!!!