• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2009 - Aos Only

ac8808, ItsoFototo.

Lindina254 as well had an interview in NYC when the officer diddn't know anything about her/his application. And also i heard other people saying that officers in NYC are often rude. Could be beacause the office is extremely busy. You should know everything from your I485 and i if you are a family - theirs too. My officer told me in the first 2 min. of the interivew that my case will be denied, because i didn't have tax return for form I134. We were shocked.:eek: But then he saw that we have enough income for a family, and said to forget about it. After that i didn't know what to expect.:confused: Since we got aproved, i'm totally grateful....:):D
I'm not sure either they are plain rude and uprofessional or it's a special tactics of conducting interiew. I hope i'm exaggerating, and you'll have wonderful expirience during interview!!!;) i'm just sharing....:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info NataliaS....We had to file for a tax extension so I don't have a 2008 Tax Return so I was planning on getting a letter from my present employer and bringing recent paystubs (for myself & my husband) and a recent bank statement to prove that we have enough income. Do you think this would be enough? I have no family members here in the US but my husband has a brother who owns his own business....maybe we should ask him to fill in an I-134 for us?????

Yes thats what we will do......better to be safe than sorry ;)

Thanks for all your help...hope ur Greencards arrives soon....Congrats again ;)

i'd say make i-134. This way you are safe in any way. I made mine just in case, and happy i did that.

Congratulationsssss NataliaS,finally it is over for u, too:)
I do not know if it is a coincidence or what but my local office was Albany NY and u guys know how much pain I have been through because of inexperienced officers,so just be totally prepared for the interview and do not leave any questionable parts on ur case since they do not know so much about DV cases.
Additonal info:
I got an employment letter from my employer stating the amout that i am making and I brought the last 5 years tax receipts with me. you can easily request them on the phone without a fee and usually arrives in couple days.

ac8808, ItsoFototo.

I'm not sure either they are plain rude and uprofessional or it's a special tactics of conducting interiew. I hope i'm exaggerating, and you'll have wonderful expirience during interview!!!;) i'm just sharing....:rolleyes:

The NYC office accused us of having counterfeit DS-2019 forms and of having faked an employer letter. It was weird. Just like you, they then came around and said forget about it. Approved same day.

I think it is a stress interview technique. Stand your ground and stay calm and it seems to always work out ok if your case is legitimate.

Best strategy is to have every possible document with you, and if they ask for something you don't have, just politely say you don't have that particular thing but can get it and bring it to the office later. Very few people on this forum over the years have been denied at AOS, and afaik never for a random missing document or something silly like that.

One week away from sending my package to Chicago lockbox, still debating whether I should hire an immigration attorney or not. Some say people do hire lawyers, but not too many discuss that matter here. As it turns out, a lot of attorneys are not very familiar with the DV process and they may confuse you. Also, they cost a lot of money. I was thinking of getting an attorney's help for two main things: 1. preparing my AOS documents in the best possible way, and 2. defending me at the interview, in case there is any tough questions. As I've been pretty broke lately, I thought about skipping the first part. However, in order to have an attorney at the interview, I think I have to submit a G-28 form with package to Chicago. Do you guys know if that's so? If yes, that means, I have to find the attorney now. Or can I do that after I send the package?

Thanks.

Itso,
Hey, I have an idea for ya. Why don't you send me whatever money you were gonna spend on a lawyer and I will fill out the paperwork for you. Heck, I'll even come to your interview for $3000!

But seriously, although a G-28 should ideally be included in your package if a lawyer is already engaged, the G-28 can be submitted at anytime during the process.

Last edited by a moderator:
getting an attorney's help for two main things: 1. preparing my AOS documents in the best possible way, and 2. defending me at the interview, in case there is any tough questions.

Hiring an attorney to prepare your package is imho a total waste of money. You are the best person to do it, because nobody is interested in this package more than you, and nobody knows more about you than you yourself :) As for the second thing, it can be tricky - what if your interview officer asks himself: hmm, this person came with an attorney, maybe there is a good reason for this? something is wrong here?

Hey dematra, you are more expensive than the most expensive attorneys ;-)

But yes, seriously, in terms of preparing the package, of course I have the best interest to put it together. However, an attorney should have more experience with the immigrations and know how their system and mind work. So, he/she can eventually tell me, for my particular case, what documents to include and what not (if they may cause unnecessary confusion). In terms of the interview, masemath, I've asked people here the same question: What if the IO thinks that I brought an attorney, because there's something wrong? The answer I got was that many people here do hire an attorney and it's not unusual to have one at the interview. Although, I haven't seen anybody mention that here.

many people here do hire an attorney and it's not unusual to have one at the interview. Although, I haven't seen anybody mention that here.
Aha! Can the reason be that people who hire attorneys are Americans with American mentality, and everybody here are not yet? (And will never be in the full sense of the word?)

One week away from sending my package to Chicago lockbox, still debating whether I should hire an immigration attorney or not. Some say people do hire lawyers, but not too many discuss that matter here. As it turns out, a lot of attorneys are not very familiar with the DV process and they may confuse you. Also, they cost a lot of money. I was thinking of getting an attorney's help for two main things: 1. preparing my AOS documents in the best possible way, and 2. defending me at the interview, in case there is any tough questions. As I've been pretty broke lately, I thought about skipping the first part. However, in order to have an attorney at the interview, I think I have to submit a G-28 form with package to Chicago. Do you guys know if that's so? If yes, that means, I have to find the attorney now. Or can I do that after I send the package?

Thanks.

save ur money. U can get all the info u need on this forum. U only need am attorney if you think u have violated the terms of ur visa and trust me, the attorney will take ur money and do absolutely nothing for ya

One week away from sending my package to Chicago lockbox, still debating whether I should hire an immigration attorney or not.
Thanks.

This is the information i used in getting my documents ready. It should be very helpful. i copied it from a thread on DV 2008

Second, for the AOS package I did not include the paystubs, I only took them to the interview. Here is a copy of the letter I sent listing all the documents I sent in (similar to previous ones posted) - oh, and it was formatted nicely, but posting it here made it ugly!:

November 1, 2007

U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services
Attn: FBASI
427 S. LaSalle – 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60605-1209

Re: DV2008
Application for Adjustment of Status of:
Joe Blogs (2008OC00000XXX) – Winner
Jane Blogs – Spouse of Winner

To whom it may concern,

Please find attached the following documents in relation to my application for adjustment of status, based on the 2008 DV Lottery.

Please note, for ease of reference, I have divided the documents into two bundles, one for myself as the primary applicant (Joe Blogs) and the other for my wife.

Documents Filed for Primary Applicant: Joe Blogs (DV2008OC00000XXX)

1. I-485 fee of $1010 for Joe Blogs
2. 4 passport size photos of Joe Blogs
3. I-485 form
4. I-693 in a sealed envelope
5. Photocopy of government issued birth certificate
6. Photocopy of government issued marriage certificate
7. Evidence of required education:
a. Photocopy of Master of XX certificate
b. Photocopy of Bachelor of XX certificate
c. Photocopy of Year Twelve Diploma (high school)
8. Evidence of financial support:
a. Letter from [university outlining support]
b. Photocopy of [home country] bank statement.
c. Photocopy of [US] bank statement.
9. Photocopy of passport and documentation evidencing current status in the US:
a. Passport front page
b. F1 Visa
c. Valid I-20
d. I94
10. G-325A form
11. Photocopy of diversity-immigrant visa approval notice from the National Visa Center
12. Photocopy of receipt of payment of Department of State Immigration processing fee.

AND
Documents Filed for Spouse Applicant: Jane Blogs

1. I-485 fee of $1010 for Jane Blogs
2. 4 passport size photos of Jane Blogs
3. I-485 form
4. I-693 in a sealed envelope
5. Photocopy of government issued birth certificate
6. Photocopy of government issued marriage certificate
7. Evidence of required education:
a. Photocopy of Enrollment Verification Certificate – verifying enrollment at the University of XX
b. Photocopy of Bachelor of XX certificate
c. Photocopy of Bachelor of XX certificate
d. Photocopy of Bachelor of XX certificate
e. Photocopy of High School certificate
8. Evidence of financial support:
a. Letter of employment offer from XX
b. Photocopy of [home country] bank statement.
c. Photocopy of [US] bank statement.
9. Photocopy of passport and documentation evidencing current status in the US:
a. Passport front page
b. Current I-20
c. Old I-20
d. F1 Visa
e. I94
10. G-325A form
11. Photocopy of diversity-immigrant visa approval notice for Joe Blogs from the National Visa Center
12. Photocopy of receipt of payment of Department of State Immigration processing fee.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Joe Blogs (DV Winner, 2008OC00000XXX)

Hope that helps. Pls do not waste ur money on an attorney.

U can also apply for Advance Parole and Work Authorization with the I-485 if you wanted and u dont have to pay nothing for it.

Cards recieved

Just recieved green cards!!!:) i'm soooo happy!:D:D :DCan't believe it! like a dream!! :D i've be waiting for this day so long....
Best of luck to everyone out there!!!;)

hi,congrats on your green card issuance, im due to go for an interview in london next week,could you please help me' what sort of questions do they ask or what sort of questions should i expect>

Congratulations NataliaS! Enjoy carefree Springtime in New York.

Another question for all of you guys (I'm sorry, I've been posting a lot lately): I'm not sure what to put in the I-485 form, part 3, top right box "Current occupation". I'm on F-1, graduated last year and currently doing OPT. Do I put "student F-1" or do I put my professional occupation? I'm still on F-1, but I graduated already. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I guess you should put student in optional training. If you put the profession, that goes against the F1 visa that you are on and would raise unnecessary questions.

Congratulations NataliaS! Enjoy carefree Springtime in New York.

Another question for all of you guys (I'm sorry, I've been posting a lot lately): I'm not sure what to put in the I-485 form, part 3, top right box "Current occupation". I'm on F-1, graduated last year and currently doing OPT. Do I put "student F-1" or do I put my professional occupation? I'm still on F-1, but I graduated already. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I would suggest that the proper answer would be whatever you are hired to do. Example; if you are a chemical engineering intern on OPT you say your occupation is "Chemical Engineer". Plus, if I remember right there is another separate question that asks about you immigration status, there you can answer "F-1".