• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2009 - Aos Only

Thanks Dematra for pointing this out for me, this semester this ISO allowed me to enroll for 3 online courses and one traditional class ( total 12 credit hours). Will this put me in trouble in future?

Well....it depends on what is considered a "full course of study" at your school. My understanding of rule 8 C.F.R. § 214.2(f) (6) (i) (G) is that if 12 credits are considered "full time" at your school and within your program, then you might be violating the terms of your visa (since two of your classes don't count as far as SEVIS is concerned).

I recommend that you consult your ISO and see what they think, maybe they know otherwise.

Congratulations lindina! Finally. Enjoy your new status!

Congratulations to you too ALU4E! I'm sure that error in your son's GC won't be a big problem.

F1winner,

Be very careful with that. As far as I know you can have only 1 on-line class, out of the 12 credits. Check with your ISO again.

Great luck with St louis Office

Greetings to everyone on here,

I also have been following your threads. I filed my papers on Nov 27 (my number was current on Nov 1st, but I didn't have all the papers I needed, therefore I sent them the day there were complete).
I did my biometrics on Dec 17, and received a letter for my interview right after new years dating Feb 10.
I had my interview on Feb 10th, and I can say that St Louis office was the best immigration office I've ever seen. Very friendly and helpful staff. My appointment was at 12.30 and I was there at 12.15. A lady came to the room I was waiting and took my paper, and called me in two minutes later at 12.22. I timed it, when i was out of her office, the time was 12.34pm. All she did was going over the information I filled in I-485. She approved them all.
And Feb 13th last friday I received my "welcome to US" letter. I am so happy and hope all of you get your green card as smooth as I did.
I have not hired a lawyer or anything, all I did was reading the experiences of last years' winners.
If anyone needs help with their filing, here are the papers I sent in;
DOCUMENTS ENCLOSED ARE;
1) DV approval notice letter from KCC
2) Receipt of $375 from Department of State
3) Form I-485
4) 2 photos
5) Form I-134
6) Copy of High School Diploma and Translation
7) Check for $1,010 for U.S. Department of Homeland Security
8) Form G-325A
9) Medical Examination
10) Copy of Birth Certificate
11) Copy of Passport Pages
12) Copy of I-94
13) Copy of I-20s
14) Letter from ………… College
15) Copy of Social Security Card
16) Copy of Diploma of Associates of Arts Degree
17) Copy of School Documents; PTK International Honor Society, Dean’s list, Dean’s list, President’s list, qualification for scholarship at …………… College.

follow up question

Now that the fact that I am the proud recipient of a welcome to the US letter I have a couple of housekeeping questions:

My I94 was never removed from my passport. Do I just leave it in and have them take it out the next time that I go abroad?

Similarly, my H1B visa is still in it. When do they cancel it? It is probably cancelled already now that I have been approved but what would happen if I tried to go to Europe before having the actual green card in hand? Would I have to bring the Welcome to the US letter with me and go to the green card holders line or do I still go to the visa holders line?

Now that the fact that I am the proud recipient of a welcome to the US letter I have a couple of housekeeping questions:

My I94 was never removed from my passport. Do I just leave it in and have them take it out the next time that I go abroad?

Similarly, my H1B visa is still in it. When do they cancel it? It is probably cancelled already now that I have been approved but what would happen if I tried to go to Europe before having the actual green card in hand? Would I have to bring the Welcome to the US letter with me and go to the green card holders line or do I still go to the visa holders line?

Excellent questions, I was wondering the same a few weeks ago. I still have my I-94s, both the original and the ones that come with the H-1. When I looked into it this is what I found:

I-94 - Do nothing. Remove it from your passport and keep it for your records.

H-1B - Do nothing. USCIS changed your official status automatically. Thats to say, they stopped your H-1B clock the same day they approved your LPR status.

About your welcome notice - by itself it is not a re-entry document and If I remember right it does say so at the bottom. Sometimes CBP will accept it, but officially they are not supposed to.

Another minor housekeeping issue to keep in mind (for the future anyway). I am not sure how many people actually file USCIS Form AR-11, Change of Address form. I suspect very few. Maybe it's time to start taking the AR-11 seriously ;)

Excellent questions, I was wondering the same a few weeks ago. I still have my I-94s, both the original and the ones that come with the H-1. When I looked into it this is what I found:

I-94 - Do nothing. Remove it from your passport and keep it for your records.

H-1B - Do nothing. USCIS changed your official status automatically. Thats to say, they stopped your H-1B clock the same day they approved your LPR status.

About your welcome notice - by itself it is not a re-entry document and If I remember right it does say so at the bottom. Sometimes CBP will accept it, but officially they are not supposed to.

thanks for your input dematra! do you think therefore that one should wait to have the actual card in hand before leaving?

I did not apply for AP because I was told that it was useless given that I was still in valid H1B status. Should I have to allow for travel in this limbo period (after the Welcome to the US letter but before the actual green card arrives)?

thanks for your input dematra! do you think therefore that one should wait to have the actual card in hand before leaving?

I did not apply for AP because I was told that it was useless given that I was still in valid H1B status. Should I have to allow for travel in this limbo period (after the Welcome to the US letter but before the actual green card arrives)?

I wouldn't recommend leaving the country without your GC - especially if it's avoidable. Otherwise if you really had to leave before you get your GC then i'm sure you can get a I-551 stamp.

I'm guessing you'll get your GC in a few days, thus, making this a moot issue.

matutelandia

Any interviews/interview letters for the december filers ??

No news on our side,but I faxed my local office last week inquiring about that.They told me our interview will be scheduled for March/early April and this is because they are moving to a new office.So what I've to do I guess, is just wait..:cool:

Which USCIS office?

No news on our side,but I faxed my local office last week inquiring about that.They told me our interview will be scheduled for March/early April and this is because they are moving to a new office.So what I've to do I guess, is just wait..:cool:

??

Hi, What did you fax? and how did you get fax number and get response?
anything helps.

Today I received my welcome letter in the mail!!
Thanks a lot to this forum. It made the whole process less stressful and waiting for letters from USCIS a lot easier since we knew what to expect.
I will keep checking back regularly to see if my experience can help the people that are remaining. Good luck! Thanks again!

Today I received my welcome letter in the mail!!
Thanks a lot to this forum. It made the whole process less stressful and waiting for letters from USCIS a lot easier since we knew what to expect.
I will keep checking back regularly to see if my experience can help the people that are remaining. Good luck! Thanks again!

congrats DMBfan!

on a happy note, I received my actual green card today!! :D

was surprised to see that a) it was not green and b) that the day of issuance on it was my interview date and not the date of the approval of the 485 as reflected on the I797.

still minor details!! :D

I look forward to hearing good news from everyone else in the forum!

mikkaha

Or...just fax a simple, short letter to the DO and Cc to RO.
Chk attached for USCIS RO/DO contact info.

I got the number from Dfdo post of Feb 5(thanks to him/her)..try to search that post on this thread and you'll find all the phone numbers and fax numbers of all USCIS offices.

Goodluck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you carry your green card with you at all times?

Question: I have heard conflicting opinions regarding this.

Those of you who have received it- do you carry it with you at all times (ie. not just when you are traveling?)

My gut reaction is not to carry it on an everyday basis- as I do not need it for identification- but most importantly because I think it is valuable and I know it must be really hard to replace it if it is stolen or lost.

side note: to all those who are waiting for their interview notices, I know what you are going through! be patient and they will arrive soon- I am sure of it! I did not get my interview notice until almost 3 months after my check was cashed!