• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2009 - Aos Only

USCIS is making progress. However, questions about standardization continue to be raised in meetings with customers and stakeholders, including complaints about: (1) inconsistent application of statutory discretion among service centers and field offices; (2) inconsistent interpretation and application of laws, regulations, precedent decisions, policies, and procedures; and (3) wide variation in processing times for the same benefit type among the USCIS offices.
The common complaint is that decisions depend more upon which adjudicator handled the case rather than on the merits of the case; denial of benefits is more likely from certain adjudicators than from others. Stakeholders also related that inequities among various field offices are well-known and predictable.

Annual Report to Congress June 2007
http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/cisomb_annualrpt07__June_11_2007_section3i__standardization.pdf

USCIS is making progress. However, questions about standardization continue to be raised in meetings with customers and stakeholders, including complaints about: (1) inconsistent application of statutory discretion among service centers and field offices; (2) inconsistent interpretation and application of laws, regulations, precedent decisions, policies, and procedures; and (3) wide variation in processing times for the same benefit type among the USCIS offices.
The common complaint is that decisions depend more upon which adjudicator handled the case rather than on the merits of the case; denial of benefits is more likely from certain adjudicators than from others. Stakeholders also related that inequities among various field offices are well-known and predictable.

Annual Report to Congress June 2007
http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/cisomb_annualrpt07__June_11_2007_section3i__standardization.pdf

It is as if some of the I/O decide cases basing on their moods. A friend of mine who from the East coast is in total mess. He has been on F1 visa, at one time he skipped school for one academic year on medical grounds which was well documented by the school, during that time he sticked a round while undergoing treatment. Later on he enrolled on the same school till this January when he went to attend his AOS interview. His case was denied, they terminated his sevis records and he was told to appear in the immigration court in March. Is there a way he can pull out of this?
According to them (I/O's) he was supposed to have gone home when he was sick and come back with a new i-20.

It is as if some of the I/O decide cases basing on their moods. A friend of mine who from the East coast is in total mess. He has been on F1 visa, at one time he skipped school for one academic year on medical grounds which was well documented by the school, during that time he sticked a round while undergoing treatment. Later on he enrolled on the same school till this January when he went to attend his AOS interview. His case was denied, they terminated his sevis records and he was told to appear in the immigration court in March. Is there a way he can pull out of this?
According to them (I/O's) he was supposed to have gone home when he was sick and come back with a new i-20.

oh man, what a mess
did he consult an attorney?

he did not use an attorney before he went for an interview but he has identified one to accompany him to the court.

Update

I had my interview on Friday. It was very smooth and quick. I did not expect it to be that easy. I was asked just a few questions from I-485 and that's all. Then the officer made the copy of my dr license, took away my I-94 and approved me. It took about 5 minutes.That was the happiest day of my life. I thank everybody in this forum and wish the best of luck for the rest.Thanks.

the fingerprint saga continues

So I went back to the USCIS for my biometrics. Again. You faithful readers will recall that my fingerprint/biometric situation was a mess:

1) November 08 service notice after 45 days passed after cashing check
2) late November 08 received letter saying I already did my fingerprints (when I had not)
3) 12/23 infopass when did not have get the biometrics notice despite receiving interview notice- IO at USCIS issued I797 to go do them
4) 12/23 walk in biometrics with I797 because the appointment notice conflicted time wise with my interview- did fingerprints and picture.
5) 1/15 interview (IO did not know anything about my case as she received it "that morning")
6) 1/16 other biometrics notice received for 2/2 appointment

so this morning I go AGAIN. I bring the stamped I797 from the first biometrics appointment and show it to them and ask them why I am back there.
They look me up in the system and they tell me that my fingerprints are in the system already (like I did not already know that) and that it will be enough to just take my picture (again). I really think they took my picture again just so they could show that they were doing something and that I did not have to wake up at 6 to go all the way there for nothing....

I had my interview on Friday. It was very smooth and quick. I did not expect it to be that easy. I was asked just a few questions from I-485 and that's all. Then the officer made the copy of my dr license, took away my I-94 and approved me. It took about 5 minutes.That was the happiest day of my life. I thank everybody in this forum and wish the best of luck for the rest.Thanks.

Congratulations rukhshona, enjoy your new status !!!! I am still anxiously waiting for my interview letter....:confused:
Which one was your office ?

Hi F1Winner

What was friend's status when he went for interview? F1 ? If someone takes semester off and works illegally even though it was documented as medical reason, it could be an issue. Was he an undergraduate student?

I am not trying to judge or anything.

Hi F1Winner

What was friend's status when he went for interview? F1 ? If someone takes semester off and works illegally even though it was documented as medical reason, it could be an issue. Was he an undergraduate student?

I am not trying to judge or anything.

He has a valid I-20, and undergraduate, he never worked off campus.

He has a valid I-20, and undergraduate, he never worked off campus.

WITHDRAWAL FOR MEDICAL REASONS
If you are ill and not able to attend school, you need to submit a letter from your doctor to the
International Center verifying the reasons that you are unable to attend classes. Based on your
doctor’s recommendation, you may drop below full-time status or completely withdraw from classes
for medical reasons after the International Center approves the withdrawal. You may drop courses
for medical reasons for up to one year; however, a medical letter is required for each semester you
have medical problems. If you are unable to return to school full time after one year, you would
need to apply for different visa classification or leave the U.S.

WITHDRAWAL FOR MEDICAL REASONS
If you are ill and not able to attend school, you need to submit a letter from your doctor to the
International Center verifying the reasons that you are unable to attend classes. Based on your
doctor’s recommendation, you may drop below full-time status or completely withdraw from classes
for medical reasons after the International Center approves the withdrawal. You may drop courses
for medical reasons for up to one year; however, a medical letter is required for each semester you
have medical problems. If you are unable to return to school full time after one year, you would
need to apply for different visa classification or leave the U.S.

This is exactly what this guy did, he got letters from the physian, they were forwarded and accepted by the international office that is why after one academic year his 1-20 was retained. Since he resumed school its been now 3 semesters. Nobody understands which version of the law the I/O was referring to.

I just got a letter from DOS asking me to pay $375 for two persons before they transfer my file to USCIS. I am the only applicant and I already paid that amount back in July and have receipt in hand. I am sure this is going to cause headache for me :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got my 2nd letter from KCC and also a receipt...
Well, the DOS receipt was basically a black stamp on the letter that I had sent with the check mentioning the details.

I was expecting the receipt to at least look like an official paper.Just want to make sure ....did you guys get a similar thing ????

Mine was a stamp in black at the bottom of the form sent says "P A I D" along with a date and that's it, no other details. I hope that is enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got my 2nd letter from KCC and also a receipt...
Well, the DOS receipt was basically a black stamp on the letter that I had sent with the check mentioning the details.

I was expecting the receipt to at least look like an official paper.Just want to make sure ....did you guys get a similar thing ????

Yes, I also got back the same paper that I sent with a cheap black stamp on it, saying "PAID Date ", cheapest thing I've ever seen