• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2009 - Aos Only

AoS 2008, just 1,440 cases !!

http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/june_2009_agenda_with_responses.pdf

3. Question:
Persons who win the diversity lottery are supposed to adjust their status in the same Fiscal Year. If
for whatever reason, including processing delays, they do not adjust by the end of the fiscal year, they are
unable to obtain lawful permanent resident status. Does USCIS have any statistics on how many people win
the diversity lottery and are unable to adjust within the fiscal year?

Response:
Please note that the Department of State, not USCIS, tracks unused diversity (DV) visa numbers
each fiscal year. Figures for DV visa usage and adjustments of status for fiscal years 1999 through 2008 can
be found at the following Department of State web site: http://www.travel.state.gov/pdf/FY08-ARTableVII.pdf
Individual offices keep track of the diversity adjustment cases received from the NBC, primarily by use of
spread sheets. USCIS notes that the Lockbox, NBC and local field offices do everything possible to adjust
these cases within the fiscal year. The Lockbox segregates out Diversity cases and expedites shipment to the
NBC. The NBC, in turn, expedites the processing and routes the file(s) to the responsible field office as
quickly as possible. Near the end of a fiscal year, the NBC will take extraordinary measures (for example,
scanning files, overnight shipments) to get files into the hands of a field office for adjudication. Despite such
extraordinary measures, you should note that by law, USCIS cannot adjust the status of any person until all
background and security checks have been completed and the DV adjustment applicant has met his or her
burden of establishing statutory eligibility to adjust status. There may be cases, therefore, where USCIS
cannot approve an adjustment application prior to the end of the fiscal year. For this reason, USCIS
encourages persons seeking to adjust status on the basis of selection in the DV lottery file their completed
adjustment applications as soon as they become eligible to do so based on the State Department’s monthly
Visa Bulletin.
Please note however that the vast majority of lottery winners consular process overseas. For FY2008 for
example, USCIS adjusted the status of 1,440 cases, while 41,761 aliens were admitted with DV immigrant
visas. USCIS does not have information on those winners who are eligible for adjustment of status and fail to apply
within the filing timeframes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so here comes my turn to share with you guys my interview experience. First of all, a BIG THANK YOU to all of you who contributed to this forum and also to the moderators of the forum as well.

My interview was scheduled for 8 am at the New York City field office. I got there at 7:30, gave my Interview Notice to the clerk at the window and sat in the waiting room. At exactly 8 o'clock my Interview Officer called me up. To describe her, she was a strong but good looking woman in her early 30's and of either Caribbean descent (Puertorican or Dominican) or Philipino. I followed her through a maze of hallways to her office. She asked me to take the oath and sit down. From then on, there was a lot of questions and a lot of documents were asked for. I may not be able to recall all but I'll try to give you as much details as possible.

First she asked me to give her all my passports and employment cards (For my 10 years in the U.S., I've changed 3 passports. And I had 3 employment cards, 2 OPT and one from this AOS application). Then she started entering some data in her computer and digging through my file. Also, she started writing in some form. First, she wrote with big letters "DV6" with a sharpie and highlighted it. Overall, she was nice and relaxed, but professional and serious. From time-to-time we would crack a joke to ease the tension. She asked me for my birth date and she told me she was born on the same date. I asked if she was born in the same year, which wasn't very polite of me as she turned out to be a few years younger than me. Then, she asked me for my birth certificate, the KCC Notification Letter and the receipt for the paid $375 fee to DoS. Whenever she had to dig through my file, she was annoyed because I had a huge file, a big stack of papers. I had previously applied for Asylum, so a good deal of the papers were from that case. I apologized for having such a big file and she said jokingly that it wasn't my fault. Also, whoever assembled my file had separated some of the translated documents (like my birth certificate and high school diploma) from the originals, which gave her an extra annoyance. She asked me about my Asylum case and I told her that it was denied on the basis of not enough merit. She asked me for my high school diploma and my college (BA) diploma. Then she asked me about my current status and I told her I was on F-1/student status, currently doing OPT (btw, my OPT was expiring on the day of the interview, yesterday). She asked me for my current I-20. Then she asked me when I have last entered the U.S. (btw, I guess all the questions were based on the information I had given them in the I-485 form). She asked me for my I-94 card. I had two: a copy of the entrance I-94 (for some reason I didn't have the original) and one from the change of status from B1 to F1. She took both. Then (I don't know how that came in the conversation - maybe when I told her that I'm doing OPT), I said that I'm currently working and that I have two employment letters (I'm a freelancer, working part-time for 3 different companies). She asked me for the employment letters and for my tax-return form. She saw that my income last year was about $14K and she asked me if I had a sponsor. I said yes and I told her I had submitted an I-134 form with copies of the sponsors tax-return and few of his pay-stubs. She asked me who he is, I said "a friend", then she asked where was he born and I said he is American, born here. She said that I should have submitted a copy of his birth certificate to prove that he is American, which I didn't have. I don't remember reading about that in the instructions for I-134. I know that the sponsor has to be an American or a GC holder, but I missed the part where it asks for an evidence of that fact. Then she asked all the questions from page 3 of I-485: are you a terrorist, drug addict and all that, to which I said "no" (to my amusement, few times, I accidently rushed and said "no" before she had finished the question).

These were pretty much all the questions, as far as I can remember now. So, at the end, she finished writing some info in her form (like my A# and other stuff) and she said that my case was approved and that she will put a stamp in my passport which will serve as a temporary GC until I get the actual one in the mail and, she said, that may take from 3 to 6 months. Then she said to follow her. She went to make a copy of either my high school diploma or my birth certificate - I don't remember which one, as I was already in a hazy cloud of ecstasy - because, as I said earlier, somebody had separated some of the translated documents from the originals in my file and she couldn't find it. Then I had to pull myself together and said I had a few questions. I asked her if I still needed the birth certificate of my sponsor. She said "no", because my income wasn't that low and I was single with no children. Then I asked if she had checked to see if there is a visa number available for me. She said that there must be, otherwise "they wouldn't have approved my case". That made me think that my case was actually approved at some point before the interview, and that the interview itself was just a formality to confirm the information they have already had. Then I asked her about the Sept. 30 deadline and how would that effect me if the actual GC takes 3 to 6 months. She said that didn't matter because my case was already approved and the stamp in my passport will be good for 1 year. Then she told me to wait for her at the waiting room. After 10 min, she showed up and gave me my passport back. I shook her hand, thanked her again, and told her that I will remember her for the rest of my life. She laughed and said to enjoy the rest of the week, at least. So that was it. The interview itself took about 25 min.

The stamp in my passport is red and it says "Upon endorsement, serves as a temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residency for one year. Issue Date ........, Officer ........(id), EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZED, Valid Until..........(date, 1 year)."

I realized she took my 3 employment cards, because those probably could sell well on the black market.

So, that's it folks. Now, waiting for the actual GC in the mail. It shouldn't take that long. Once again, thanks a lot to everybody in this forum. You guys were of great help. Here is where I got all the necessary information. In the beginning, I didn't know anything about the process. I'm also grateful to you guys for talking me out of hiring a lawyer. My experience, and those of others in the forum, shows that immigration attorneys don't know much about the DV process and you may not only waste your money, but also get the wrong information. However, an attorney might be helpful, if you have any complications in your case/ immigration history, but I can't say that for sure. Read this forum, and the one from last year. Here is your best source of information. Also, PLEASE, do take the time and share your experience with the others and write down your timeline. There's a lot of people who only come here to read. This forum is possible only because of people who take the time to write their experiences. If nobody writes, there will be nothing to read. Right?

Best of Luck to all of you still in the process! For those of you already with GC, best of luck in your endeavor in this country!

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations ItsoFototo

I too was interviewed at the New York office on Tuesday and from reading your post it seems that we both had the same document missing....PROOF OF SPONSOR'S STATUS. I was asked to produce mine because I'm unemployed at the moment. For those of you who are yet to be interviewed please note that this is a document you should ensure you have especially if you're unemployed (Sponsor's american birth certificate/certificate of naturalization).

Thank you guys for you prompt help.

Actually couple hours after my interview, i logged to my online account and it said that "Current Status: Card production ordered." so i guess everything went OK on the interview.

Thanks a lot again.

Mirou

Itsofototo -

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have Biometrics on August 5 and so I am hoping I will make it before Sept 30 for the interview.

Karwarilila

she said that my case was approved
Congratulations! It is indeed a sweet moment when you hear these words. Interestingly enough though how field offices differ: my IO told me that he has to check the visa availability, then logged in into some online system, scrolled through the list of countries of origin, chose mine, and only then announced that the visa number is available, and my case is approved. Then he proceeded with stamping passports, and did it right in front of me... Hopefully you'll get your card soon. Good luck!

Good Luck karwarilila!

Thanks, CARIB and masematn.

Carib, the sponsor could be an American citizen OR a GC holder. So, for a GC holder, I guess, one should have a copy of his/her GC.

Ok, so here comes my turn to share with you guys my interview experience. First of all, a BIG THANK YOU to all of you who contributed to this forum and .....

Cheers!

Congrats dude.....and thank you for taking time to share your interview experience.
I had an OPT in 2000 and to be honnest, I don't know where it is!! You said the officer asked for OPT and EAD ( I do have EADs)......what do I do about the OPT card I can't find?

I still did not hear from USCIS since I got the NOA......I called them up yesterday and opened a Service Request as of why I didn't get biometric nor interview notices.......and they said I should hear back from them within 45 days.

Thanks Imados and Jarev.

Imados, I'm not sure what you should do about the OPT card. Do you have a copy of it? At least, you should have an I-20 that says you did OPT in that period of time.

About the Biometrics: Maybe you should do an InfoPass and ask them to do a walk-in Biometrics. Good Luck!

Congrats, Itsofototo.

Thank you for sharing your interview experience. I see you did not have your original I-94, only a copy. My husband is in the same situation and I was worried it might be a problem, but from your experience, the IO didn't make a big deal out of it. Hopefully, it'll work out for us too.

Again, Congrats!

Hi Daima,

Thanks. I hope that won't be a problem for you. I had two I-94 cards, though, a copy of the original entrance I-94 and one for "continuation of status" from my change of status from B1 to F1, that was an original. I see you are a 2010 winner, so you have plenty of time. You may wanna try to contact USCIS and request an official copy of your husband's I-94 card. Good Luck!

Congratulations Carib and ItsoFototo, great news, celebrate and enjoy your new status. :)

ItsoFototo, thank you for your detailed description, our interview will be in the same office and it's very helpful.

Unfortunately my case is still stuck at the NBC in Missouri. It's been a month since I sent the additional evidence(form i-864) they requested which was received on June 29th. The IO we spoke to during one of the InfoPass appointments we had after that told us that the evidence was accepted and nothing further will be need at this point. Also the IO that has my wife's case was going to request my case. We did 2 more InfoPasses the last 3 weeks to check if my case had arrived but both times they told us that the case is still being processed at the NBC.
Since there is no guarantee when they will transfer my case to the local office(it may stay there for another 2-3 months for all I know) I decided to contact my local Congressman's office. My wife called them yesterday, they were extremely helpful and advised us to put everything into writing and either drop it off or fax it to the person responsible for Green Cards and Immigration at their office. We downloaded a form from their website filled it out, made copies of all the major documents and went to their office this morning. Our representative was a little late so they advised us to leave the file and to call back later during the day.
Half an hour ago I spoke to the representative and she was very nice and helpful too and said that they will not need any further documents and that she will contact me as soon as she has some news for me. At this point there is nothing more we can do but just wait for the news. I guess the last step would be contacting the Senator's office but I really hope we will not have to go there.;)

Successful interview

We would like to take this opportunity to thank this forum which is simply great. Information, suggestions from members of this forum has helped us to handle our journey without any attorney. We are grateful to this forum and all members!!!
Our journey was relatively longer (compared to the average time taken for others) because our local office scheduled our interview rather late. Nevertheless, it's comeing to a happy end.

We had DV interview today. It was very smooth, short and kind of mere formality.First we took oath and we were told to answer things when we clearly understand what was asked. Her first question was who won the DV? Before she started with other question, she took out I-94 from our passports (we were kind of relaxed that we are almost approved by that action). The officer just verified names, address, country of birth, date of birth, parents' name, professional affiliations, and other I-485 related questions. She asked my husband where he was working. She did not ask any other thing related to I-134. Finally, she told us that she will approve our case and congratulated us.

We would like to congrats to all guys who have successfully completed their DV journey and wish all the best to those who are on the road. We will be sharing our opinions, and thoughts time to time.

Soms

Feb, 26 DV fee (Money order) sent to DOS
March,9 Money order returned
Mar,12 Packet FedExed to Chicago Lockbox Fedex, DV fee sent again
Mar,16 Document received at Chicago Lockbox
Mar, 20 Money order returned back again
Mar, 23 Cancelled the money order and switched to cashier’s cheque
Mar, 25 Cheque cashed by USCIS
Mar, 27 Received NOA from USCIS
Mar, 30 DOS receipt received
Mar, 27 Biometrics notice received
Apr, 17 Biometrics done
June,7 Interview letter received
July,24 Successful interview and card production ordered.

Hi Daima,

Thanks. I hope that won't be a problem for you. I had two I-94 cards, though, a copy of the original entrance I-94 and one for "continuation of status" from my change of status from B1 to F1, that was an original. I see you are a 2010 winner, so you have plenty of time. You may wanna try to contact USCIS and request an official copy of your husband's I-94 card. Good Luck!

My husband also has his original I-94 for when he changed from F1 to H1 status, so it's almost like ur case. We called USCIS and it takes about 3 months to get a replacement, so we were just contemplating whether to just go with what we have or replace. Thanks for your input, though!

gregorry,

I hope your case is resolved soon with a positive outcome. Past experiences show that gov. representatives and congressmen can make a big difference. Keep doing InfoPasses to push things forward. Good Luck! I hope to hear good news from you soon.

We were interviewed on Jul 23, 2009:

Arrived half an hour earlier. The IO called us in 10mins before the time mentioned on letter'.

Took oath. IO started by asking questions from i485 application. Asked to answer yes/no for listed questions like drug, etc. Aksed us to give original passports. As we had approved asylum asked us for Approval letter and I94. Asked for original marriage/divorce certs. Asked us maariage dates, divorce date of spouse, number of children from this/previous marriage. We gave letter from employer IO kept it and 6yeras' TAX RETURNS. The officer told us they will only 4 and we told that they can keep it.

NEVER ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT 'I134 Sponsor Letter'.

Asked when he had Biomterics, informed him with Employment AOS last year Oct08. Then looked at the file and informed that Biomterics was cleared.

IO then informed that as very busy they cannot contact the office where our Asylum was approved.

After 40/45mins IO told us that interview was complete. Took down cell phone numbers, they will call via phone in 30days. Asked if we had questions. Therefore, NATURALLY we asked 'are we approved,' IO said they will contact us in 30 days. THE ANSWER WAS THEY CANNOT imform us anything AT THIS STAGE. However, they have to take decision before Sep30, 2009.

Gave us a letter mentioning 'no docs required at this time...we will contact you in 30days'.

We left for home without talking. Neither sad or joyful. INFACT COMPLETELY DOUBTFUL.

CAN SOMEONE MAKE ANYTHING OUT OF THIS.
Please someone advise/suggest something. AT THE SAMETIME BEST OF LUCK TO EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM.