• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2008 Lucky Winners From Nigeria

More Break down Needed..haha

Good work my dear:D i like the breaking downs...i mean going in details to tell us what exactly is obtainable in states.. $500 approximately for a month, $6 for junks daily and $14-20 for Good meals...haha but i think the meal issue should still be based on individual point of view.:D

Good work my dear:D i like the breaking downs...i mean going in details to tell us what exactly is obtainable in states.. $500 approximately for a month, $6 for junks daily and $14-20 for Good meals...haha but i think the meal issue should still be based on individual point of view.:D

$6 is just for a meal and not daily. U can times that by how many times u will be eating in a day. Can u imagine having to spend almost 2500naira on food everyday. u gotta be a millonaire. Anyway, the first thing you need to learn when u get here is that u cannot be converting stuff to Naira before you buy them cuz u might end up starving. haha

I think i need to add to the food issue on discussion here.

I will advise anyone that is just relocating to the usa, especially if there is money restains, then you need to learn how to manage your funds very well. Forget going to resturant to eat, i will advise you going with a few food items, especially Gari, and a few other food items, no fish ooh.

As soon as you get to USA, go do shopping for africa material like pounded yam power, bag of Rice etc, the key here, is to do your own cooking. if you are working make your own sanwiches to work, buy a carton of drinks, and crisps. In the long run, you will safe a lot of money compared to buying food at work. You might need to cook in bulk, and freeze food in the freezer, you cant afford to be cooking stew daily, the electricity will be high.

This way you might not even spend up to $250/month, and as mentioned previously pls do not keep converting money to naira because you are not earning the naira value in 9ja. Always eat at home when ever you can. Stay away from junk food, u will end up getting hooked and the money starts to mount up, and definiaetly stay away from resturants....Dont get me wrong, if you are earning 6 figure with your first salary, pls eattttttttttttt good and healthy anyway you want....

I think i need to add to the food issue on discussion here.

I will advise anyone that is just relocating to the usa, especially if there is money restains, then you need to learn how to manage your funds very well. Forget going to resturant to eat, i will advise you going with a few food items, especially Gari, and a few other food items, no fish ooh.

As soon as you get to USA, go do shopping for africa material like pounded yam power, bag of Rice etc, the key here, is to do your own cooking. if you are working make your own sanwiches to work, buy a carton of drinks, and crisps. In the long run, you will safe a lot of money compared to buying food at work. You might need to cook in bulk, and freeze food in the freezer, you cant afford to be cooking stew daily, the electricity will be high.

This way you might not even spend up to $250/month, and as mentioned previously pls do not keep converting money to naira because you are not earning the naira value in 9ja. Always eat at home when ever you can. Stay away from junk food, u will end up getting hooked and the money starts to mount up, and definiaetly stay away from resturants....Dont get me wrong, if you are earning 6 figure with your first salary, pls eattttttttttttt good and healthy anyway you want....

six figure salary?? U mean more than $100,000/yr?
Anyway, from my experience, it cost alot more cooking at home than eating out unless u have a family of atleast 3. U cannot live on stew alone. haha. its easier said than done. Who has the time to be making sandwiches for work??
people eat out because it is less expensive and time consuming. They would rather spend their free time on something fun than spending ours trying to cook something that they can get from a restaurant across the street for a few dollars.
Anyway, u learn when u start living the american life.
I can't remember the last time i had Nigerian food. I think it was at the Nigerian Independence party last october and we to be honest, the food was 70% american. We had egusi soup but i had a little bit of the soup and that was it. I have all the food stuff at my place to make soup but i am either too busy to cook or i just don't really care for Nigerian food at that time. I would rather grab a bite on my way to work and save me all that soup making time.

I believe you are getting me totally wrong, and believe me you cant have lived in the usa or uk as long as i have so i can tell you that i know first hand what i am talking about.

Buying african food and cooking once in 1 month is not going to kill anyone especially if you have family. Advising other people to buy junk food is not only a bad idea, its also bad for their health. Eating junk food one in a while is good easy but making it a daily thing is not only unhealthy but dangerous to people's health, in the end your health insurance will suffer.

what is so difficult about speading 5mins to make sandwich in the morning, u buy most of the items needed already in the supermarket, so the preparation time is cut down. ofcourse we have to take into account that some people are too lazy to cook or just hate to do any form of eat, even in that case there are still so many other ways to save money on food then eating mc donald 3 times daily.

Anyway, from my experience, it cost alot more cooking at home than eating out unless u have a family of atleast 3. U cannot live on stew alone. haha. its easier said than done. Who has the time to be making sandwiches for work??
people eat out because it is less expensive and time consuming. They would rather spend their free time on something fun than spending ours trying to cook something that they can get from a restaurant across the street for a few dollars.
I can't remember the last time i had Nigerian food. I think it was at the Nigerian Independence party last october and we to be honest, the food was 70% american. We had egusi soup but i had a little bit of the soup and that was it. I have all the food stuff at my place to make soup but i am either too busy to cook or i just don't really care for Nigerian food at that time. I would rather grab a bite on my way to work and save me all that soup making time.

wats a mans life wit out black soup and amala?
toss in some garri and d occasional egusi soup and bushmeat.?we go cope as we see am.

American do not eat out becos its less espensive, its becos they are usually lazy, most times they do not even come out of the car to get take away, someone from the resurant take the food to the car for them.

Where in the uk will you see that type of service. If an america can get away with it, they will hire someone to wash their backside....

Laziness will not save anyone money when you first get to USA and every penny counts.

American do not eat out becos its less espensive, its becos they are usually lazy, most times they do not even come out of the car to get take away, someone from the resurant take the food to the car for them.

Where in the uk will you see that type of service. If an america can get away with it, they will hire someone to wash their backside....

Laziness will not save anyone money when you first get to USA and every penny counts.

yes, americans do not cook for a couple of reasons. Time and Cost is one of them.
Well, i'll agree that we are couch potatoes here and LOVE drive thru's.

haha

I cant help but to laugh out tears from my eyes reading the both of you guys ideas about food in USA..well i think the two of you were making a very good points..
but to me personally i believe cooking at home saves money even here in Nigeria..
and as a beginner one should try to cook. but the strange part of is one carrying a bag of garri from Nija to Obodo oyibo..haha..yeah I know it helps..it only reminds me of Bright Chimezies Song..haha
men..a typical African man is ready to wake up 4:30 am make egusi soup, and even pound fufu..if possible ..haha then eat and waka de go work..haha..
well is all good..
we gona get used to all this..

hey

Johnkent & Rashbabee,

You guys made a very good point of this food stuff. atleast it helps one to be prepared on which is best for them.

For every one.

I cant help but to laugh out tears from my eyes reading the both of you guys ideas about food in USA..well i think the two of you were making a very good points..
but to me personally i believe cooking at home saves money even here in Nigeria..
and as a beginner one should try to cook. but the strange part of is one carrying a bag of garri from Nija to Obodo oyibo..haha..yeah I know it helps..it only reminds me of Bright Chimezies Song..haha
men..a typical African man is ready to wake up 4:30 am make egusi soup, and even pound fufu..if possible ..haha then eat and waka de go work..haha..
well is all good..
we gona get used to all this..

I get all your point. Eating at home is cheaper. But when one gets to stay with someone for a while, then it would amount to coping with him/her for which ever way it is. Most especially if the person is single, and the busy, never stay at home, all office work type. Then one has to cope till you get your papers sorted out, get a job no matter how small, move out and then start to live your dream.

I don't think it's a great idea to start cooking when you are still squatting, and to start packing lots of foodstuffs from here when you're not yet settled. It all depends on who you get to stay with. If the person is the cooking type, then good. But if not, just let the clock tick for a few weeks or months till you become independent. You guys should also consider immigration officers for foodstuffs. They may frown at some things. I think the right answer is going with enough money like MODEST said, and maybe some foodstuffs like small garri, etc. If it's $3000 or more you can raise per adult before going over for expenses for a few months, say 3 or 4 months when staying with someone, before you get a small job, then i guess it ok. What do guys think?

Please, where does one submit the X-ray and the brown envelope? Is it at the POE, i.e the state of your final destination for those of us that would be taking an excursion trip?

Last edited by a moderator:
Food in the US of A

I can't help but smile... You guys have really blown this eating way out of proportion... My suggestion if you do decide to move to the USA, bring as much cash (under $10,000) as you can. Just as in 9ja, money goes extremely fast. Almost every African food item can be bought in the USA... so do not bother bringing bags of garri with you.
About Junk food, I believe eating things in moderation will help... so you can mix and match your cooking at home with eating out.
Irrespective of what you earn, please do eat out.... (not every day, night or weekend) but do treat yourself to the little pleasures of life. You can try the Asian Cuisines and more. Before I got here I could not tell the difference between Chinese, Thai, Mongolian or Vietnamese food... everything was Chinese. Now I know better.
To all new migrants & old, America is the melting pot of all ethnicities and you should not box yourself into the Nigerian corner.
Have a decent plan before you board the plane in Nigeria and when you land here work the plan as hard as you can and make adjustments as you go along and become wiser.

Just remember, it’s always by God’s Grace!

This page is very sweet

From my observation Johnkent and rashbabee have made very good points about food, Johnkent spoke as a single quy while rashbabee spoke as a family person, but heyjude did a very good summary.
From my experience african food in america is expensive compare to american food (not necessarily junk)
What i think is that when cominq to america as a new immiqrant, you can bring 3 congos of qround equsi and about 6 cups of achi or ukpo and crayfish for d ibos,
chopped spinach and pundo yam are available in usa and can also help out, until you settle in

wats a mans life wit out black soup and amala? you can survive witout dem, you just need little time to adjust toss in some garri and d occasional egusi soup and bushmeat.? you go spend money tire, turckey neck will replace dat

what is so difficult about speading 5mins to make sandwich in the morning, u buy most of the items needed already in the supermarket, so the preparation time is cut down very qood advice and i will reccomend dat for anybody who can adjust

and as a beginner one should try to cook. but the strange part of is one carrying a bag of garri from Nija to Obodo oyibo..haha..yeah I know it helps.g you dont need to carry bag of garri from 9ja, just buy poundo yam in america

a typical African man is ready to wake up 4:30 am make egusi soup, and even pound fufu 4.30, na wa, but to pound fufu, na neighbour go call police, noice makinq is an offence

I don't think it's a great idea to start cooking when you are still squatting, cooking while squatting is not bad, but your host may abuse it and turn you into a cook

and to start packing lots of foodstuffs from here when you're not yet settled. It all depends on who you get to stay with. that is just d point.

If the person is the cooking type, then good. But if not, just let the clock tick for a few weeks or months till you become independent. few weeks or months may appear very lonq if you are not comfortable

You guys should also consider immigration officers for foodstuffs. qround equsi does not cause problems.

I think the right answer is going with enough money like MODEST said, and maybe some foodstuffs like small garri, etc. If it's $3000 if you can afford dat it is ok, but meeeeeeeeeeen it may be difficult to raise dat ammount so reduce d ammount to about 1/2

say 3 or 4 months when staying with someone, before you get a small job, you dont need to stay at home for dat lonq, you can pick small jobs at mcdonalds and u may even be lucky to qet better job, just start somewhere, before you qo back to school if need be,

Please, where does one submit the X-ray dont travel wit x-ray, d report should be in the brown envelope and must be submitted at the POE, i.e the state of your final destination in your own case Ohio

Re:MODEST

From my observation Johnkent and rashbabee have made very good points about food, Johnkent spoke as a single quy while rashbabee spoke as a family person, but heyjude did a very good summary.
From my experience african food in america is expensive compare to american food (not necessarily junk)
What i think is that when cominq to america as a new immiqrant, you can bring 3 congos of qround equsi and about 6 cups of achi or ukpo and crayfish for d ibos,
chopped spinach and pundo yam are available in usa and can also help out, until you settle in

wats a mans life wit out black soup and amala? you can survive witout dem, you just need little time to adjust toss in some garri and d occasional egusi soup and bushmeat.? you go spend money tire, turckey neck will replace dat

what is so difficult about speading 5mins to make sandwich in the morning, u buy most of the items needed already in the supermarket, so the preparation time is cut down very qood advice and i will reccomend dat for anybody who can adjust

and as a beginner one should try to cook. but the strange part of is one carrying a bag of garri from Nija to Obodo oyibo..haha..yeah I know it helps.g you dont need to carry bag of garri from 9ja, just buy poundo yam in america

a typical African man is ready to wake up 4:30 am make egusi soup, and even pound fufu 4.30, na wa, but to pound fufu, na neighbour go call police, noice makinq is an offence

I don't think it's a great idea to start cooking when you are still squatting, cooking while squatting is not bad, but your host may abuse it and turn you into a cook

and to start packing lots of foodstuffs from here when you're not yet settled. It all depends on who you get to stay with. that is just d point.

If the person is the cooking type, then good. But if not, just let the clock tick for a few weeks or months till you become independent. few weeks or months may appear very lonq if you are not comfortable

You guys should also consider immigration officers for foodstuffs. qround equsi does not cause problems.

I think the right answer is going with enough money like MODEST said, and maybe some foodstuffs like small garri, etc. If it's $3000 if you can afford dat it is ok, but meeeeeeeeeeen it may be difficult to raise dat ammount so reduce d ammount to about 1/2

say 3 or 4 months when staying with someone, before you get a small job, you dont need to stay at home for dat lonq, you can pick small jobs at mcdonalds and u may even be lucky to qet better job, just start somewhere, before you qo back to school if need be,

Please, where does one submit the X-ray dont travel wit x-ray, d report should be in the brown envelope and must be submitted at the POE, i.e the state of your final destination in your own case Ohio

Thanks men, for your suggestions. You put the icing on the cake. I should be in Ohio by weekend. What's the weather like now in eastern U.S?

Thanks men, for your suggestions. You put the icing on the cake. I should be in Ohio by weekend. What's the weather like now in eastern U.S?

The weather isn't that bad this time of the yr but it is usually very chilly in the mornings. Should be alot better by May. What part of ohio are u going to? I'll be in Akron, Ohio sometime in June.

Aos

Great Forumites goo day. pls your advise on the following is urgently needed.

- Looking at Form I-134, it seems it's meant to be filled by an individual. In our own case, My friend and his wife want to provide us the AOS. Do they have to fill Form I-134 seperately?

- How much will be considered adequate for our sponsor to be able to provide AOS? My family size is two (my wife & I)?

- Under no. 8 of Form I-134, where the sponsor needs to indicate if the applicant will be wholly or partially dependent upon him for support. pls which one is appropriate?

Modest, Johnkent, Demoddon, Rashbabee, Orere, Onyi and others. Please i need your candid opinion.

Thanks

Great Forumites goo day. pls your advise on the following is urgently needed.

- Looking at Form I-134, it seems it's meant to be filled by an individual. In our own case, My friend and his wife want to provide us the AOS. Do they have to fill Form I-134 seperately?

- How much will be considered adequate for our sponsor to be able to provide AOS? My family size is two (my wife & I)?

- Under no. 8 of Form I-134, where the sponsor needs to indicate if the applicant will be wholly or partially dependent upon him for support. pls which one is appropriate?

Modest, Johnkent, Demoddon, Rashbabee, Orere, Onyi and others. Please i need your candid opinion.

Thanks

Here is the 2008 poverty guideline. Add urself and ur wife to ur sponsors family and look up how much their earnings has to be combined for them to sponsor ya. I don't think it really matter if they are sponsoring you partially or wholly like u said. The embassy just wants to make sure that you have a roof under ur head the first few months that you are here

Re:Johnkent

The weather isn't that bad this time of the yr but it is usually very chilly in the mornings. Should be alot better by May. What part of ohio are u going to? I'll be in Akron, Ohio sometime in June.

I should be in Columbus. You seem to move around alot. Is it the job?