• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2008 Lucky Winners From Nigeria

Hard currency indeed

@Modest
Me sef i dey pray hard say make u dey America for that time.U know as u go na so we go dey follow u.I fit get another person to stay for high table.

Baba Aladura,Nice to know it is hard cos u work hard to get it.Some think that out there every thing will come i a platter of gold and the earlier we know it is not so the better.Thanks for reminding us.We are equal to the task

the work on 2007 thread is simply marvelous.Going thru the thread all the burning questions on my mind have been answered already.Thanks all of u for a job well done.

Last edited by a moderator:
the work on 2007 thread is simply marvelous.Going thru the thread all the burning questions on my mind have been answered already.Thanks all of u for a job well done.

Ths is good to hear, but we still have to keep 2008 alive so that 2009 can crop up, dont go away,

I beg even if i dey states, i go need some agbu and egusi soup via e-mail, so that i can send 'hard currency' via e-mail too

important

stumbled on these facts about immigrant visa requirements and felt they will help us in the thread

Nigeria
Updated 08 December 2005

DOCUMENTS
BIRTH AND DEATH CERTIFICATES
Generally available, particularly for events occurring after 1970. Registration of births and deaths is compulsory in Lagos. The National Population Commission issues birth certificates for births after 1992.

For Lagos records, certified copies of records for dates ending with 1979 can be obtained at the Lagos State Ministry of Health, Old Secretariat, Ikeja, Lagos. For records after 1979, contact the local government that issued the original certificate directly. Most births and deaths outside of Lagos are also registered at the time of the event. Applicants can obtain certified true copies of certificates directly from the local government. Alternatively, acceptable identity/parentage documents are infant baptismal certificates and hospital or maternity clinic records of birth. Home births are rare in Nigeria and medical records are available in most cases. Affidavits may be acceptable as substitutes for documents for those born outside Lagos prior to 1960 or born in the eastern part of Nigeria in the 1960’s at the time of the Biafran War, when presented in combination with convincing secondary evidence of relationship.

ADOPTION CERTIFICATE
Available. Non-Nigerians may not adopt children in Nigeria. True adoptions in Nigeria are very rare. Adoption in Nigeria must be initiated from the Ministry of Social Services, not directly with the court by the adoptive parents. Any adoption not done under the auspices of the Ministry of Social Services is not valid. Nigerians who adopted children under the Eastern Adoption Law of 1965 should apply directly to the court, which granted the adoption *in order to obtain certificates.

Note: Documents for the former Cameroonian Trust Territories are not available in Nigeria and should be sought through the Cameroonian Government.

MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE
Available from local government bodies if the couple performed civil marriage at the Marriage Registry. Traditional marriages may also be recorded with the local government and a certificate of marriage issued. Places of worship that are registered with the Nigerian Government may also issue marriage certificates for ceremonies performed there. It is obligatory that every registrar and religious minister furnish such documents to the Lagos Marriage Registry, but some fail to do so. Records are generally available through the local government where the marriage took place. The Marriage Registry in Lagos has marriage records dating back to 1802. They are filed by year and place of marriage and can be obtained by writing to the Marriage Registry, 19 Kingsway Road, Ikoyi, Lagos. Since both parties to the marriage technically must be physically present at the same location with witnesses to sign certain marriage documents, proxy marriages have ceased to be valid but still occur.

DIVORCE CERTIFICATE
Civil Divorce: Only high courts have jurisdiction over civil divorces in any state in Nigeria except Imo state, where the Magistrate’s Court has jurisdiction. The proper documentation for the dissolution of a civil marriage is a “Decree Absolute” issued by the high court granting the divorce. Three other divorce documents, the “Enrolment of Order”, the “Decree Nisi” and the “Certificate of Decree Nisi Having Become Absolute” mark steps in the divorce process but do not indicate final divorce.

Customary Divorce: Marriage under native law and custom can only be dissolved by the customary court having jurisdiction over the area where the marriage took place. The proper documentation for customary divorce is a certificate of divorce rendered by a customary court, which will contain a true and certified copy of the proceedings”. There are two exceptions. Between 1971 and 1976, Anambra and Imo states, then known as “East Central State”, permitted Chief Magistrate’s Courts there to grant customary divorces. As of 1976, Imo state is the only state where Chief Magistrate’s Courts can issue customary divorce decrees.

Islamic Divorce: Islamic courts are the only courts having jurisdiction in dissolution of Islamic marriages.

Divorce by traditional rulers, affidavits and statutory declarations of divorce, even when authentic, have no standing under Nigerian law.

POLICE RECORD
Available, including for those living abroad. The Nigerian police force no longer accepts requests made through the American Embassy. Requests should be addressed to The Deputy Inspector General, Criminal Investigation Department, Nigerian Police Force, Alagbon Close, Ikoyi, Lagos, Nigeria. Fee should be in the form of an international bank draft payable to the Deputy Inspector General of Police, Fingerprint Section, Nigerian Police Force.

The applicant's letter must state full name, place and date of birth, nationality, passport number, date and place of issuance (for current passport or passport used during applicant's stay in Nigeria), exact periods of residence in Nigeria and addresses where applicant resided. Each applicant 16 years of age and over must enclose (1) a copy of the first three data pages of his or her passport, (2) the pages containing Nigerian visas, entry and departure stamps and (3) a complete set of fingerprints taken by the police in the district where the applicant resides.

PRISON RECORD
Unavailable. The police record gives all prison sentences, although reliability is questionable.

MILITARY RECORD
Available. There is no compulsory military service in Nigeria. If military service has been performed, a certificate to that effect can be obtained from an adjutant or company commander of the unit concerned except for veterans of World War II. Veterans of World War II should have a military discharge book.

EDUCATIONAL CREDENTIALS
Those who have successfully completed high school must take the West African Examination Council (WAEC) examinations to receive their diplomas or enter a university. The examinations are scored on a scale of 1 to 9, with 1 being the best and 9 the worst. To enter a university, the applicant must have received credit (a score of 1-6) in five subjects. For diploma programs, he or she must have received 3 or 4 credits. Scores of 7 or 8 are only ordinary passes and give no credit. A score of P8 or F9 indicates failing. There is a national WAEC office in Lagos where all results can be checked to verify educational level.

Note: Since fraudulent documents can be easily obtained in Nigeria, the consular officer may wish to consider referring suspect documents to the Anti-Fraud Unit, U.S. Embassy Lagos, for investigation.

@Modest

Ah dont worry.am making arrangements for that.Dont be suprised i might even send it via DHL so long as they will allow that.alternatively,i could bring it in person.

I believe the reason we are not getting much response on the 2008 thread is perhaps bcos most winners are not aware of this forum.i have browsed some forums b4 i bumped into this and have seen people asking question abt the dv but are not getting useful responses.I believe it is just a matter of time and many more will get to know as well as participate.think about it,most of u on the 2007 thread joined very late in the year and some even joined this year.The 2007 thread only started in the month july 2007 and this is just jnue.All we need is time and the contributions and respnses will start coming.

@Modest

Ah dont worry.am making arrangements for that.Dont be suprised i might even send it via DHL so long as they will allow that.alternatively,i could bring it in person.

I believe the reason we are not getting much response on the 2008 thread is perhaps bcos most winners are not aware of this forum.i have browsed some forums b4 i bumped into this and have seen people asking question abt the dv but are not getting useful responses.I believe it is just a matter of time and many more will get to know as well as participate.think about it,most of u on the 2007 thread joined very late in the year and some even joined this year.The 2007 thread only started in the month july 2007 and this is just jnue.All we need is time and the contributions and respnses will start coming.

good analysis, but we still have to be ob ground to await the new members

quest

Dear Modest .
( A.)I sent a mail to KCC alerting them of the change of date of graduation form 06-2006 as contained in my form to 07-2006 as contained in my certificate.

KCC replied me after few days saying "Thank you for your inquiry.

The information you provided will be included in your case file for review."

I guess am in a safe side.?

(B) Avidafit of Support, how will my sponsor get the forms to fill?.
Is the form part of the second package?.

(C) When is the right time to go for WAEC clearance, International Passport, Police extract, Birtcerificate etc.

(D) I "ve got a professional certification in Networking by Cisco Systems, do u think this will be an advantage during my interview.

(E) My Aunt i filled her address in my DS230 form as my parmenent address call me saying that i should look for people living in TEXAS or other states that Virgina is not so wonderful as per getting good jobs in my field.Is that not going to be heltic?, IF i eventually get one how do i correct it having filled her address in my forms.

I am happy for this wonderful group .Pls i need answers to all these from the gurus of the group.

Case No. 2008AF000074XX.

case no

Please i really need to understand exactly how this case no of a thing works.It seems to me that there are some people with higher case numbers attending their interviews b4 some people with lower case nos even though they are from the same country.how can this be explained?An example is Modest case no 14xxx and ubus case no 13xxx.can anyone pls explain?

Please i really need to understand exactly how this case no of a thing works.It seems to me that there are some people with higher case numbers attending their interviews b4 some people with lower case nos even though they are from the same country.how can this be explained?An example is Modest case no 14xxx and ubus case no 13xxx.can anyone pls explain?
The case number works numerically in ascending order; those with smaller numbers get interviewed before those with bigger numbers because that is the order in which their numbers become "current". However, Modest may get interviewed earlier than Ubus, if he returned his first package to KCC earlier than Ubus [remember they advise you to return it on time.] But their case numbers usually become current in the same batch/month.
Also Modest had his interview at a US embassy in the Carribean/West Indies and Ubus was interviewed in Lagos. Their case numbers became current in the same month [I think] but the different Embassies have different interview schedules. Modest was the only DV case at the Embassy on the day that he interviewed.
Remember that some people reschedule their original interview date and some people miss their original interview date.

Looking good

Dear Modest .
( A.)I sent a mail to KCC alerting them of the change of date of graduation form 06-2006 as contained in my form to 07-2006 as contained in my certificate.

KCC replied me after few days saying "Thank you for your inquiry.

The information you provided will be included in your case file for review."

I guess am in a safe side.?

(B) Avidafit of Support, how will my sponsor get the forms to fill?.
Is the form part of the second package?.

(C) When is the right time to go for WAEC clearance, International Passport, Police extract, Birtcerificate etc.

(D) I "ve got a professional certification in Networking by Cisco Systems, do u think this will be an advantage during my interview.

(E) My Aunt i filled her address in my DS230 form as my parmenent address call me saying that i should look for people living in TEXAS or other states that Virgina is not so wonderful as per getting good jobs in my field.Is that not going to be heltic?, IF i eventually get one how do i correct it having filled her address in my forms.

I am happy for this wonderful group .Pls i need answers to all these from the gurus of the group.

Case No. 2008AF000074XX.
Q A] You are fine, since you have your original certificate [which they can verify if they like] and the date issue was just a clerical error.
Q B] You need to send your sponsor a list of the stuff to fill out and send back to you; Ubus just gave us a list [in her interview experience]. Your sponsor probably already has copies of her latest wages statement [W-2], bank statement or letter, and tax return [copy of her tax return or she can get her tax transcript free from the IRS]
The only thing she needs to fill out is form I-134 affidavit of support; download at the USCIS website or she can search for it and dowload it thru' google.
Q C]
i] WAEC verification is not neccesary if you have your original WAEC certificate; otherwise you can get it now since it does not expire.
ii] International passport can be obtained now, since it is valid for 5 years; my understanding is that you can use your old one if it is still valid for 6 months beyond your interview date.
iii] Police certificate probably should be obtained when your number becomes current since this is only valid for 3 months in Nigeria.
iv] Birth certificate can be obtained now since it never expires.
Q D] This is vital for your resume and job search, but the Embassy has absolutely no interest. Only your WAEC [+/- your degrees].
Q E] You only need that address for the first month after you arrive in the US so that they can mail you your green card. So if your aunt will let you stay with her for the first month, you don't need to change anything. [You can still be looking for new friends and new jobs outside Virginia].
However, if she will not let you stay that long, you can change to a new address:
1]At any time via e-mail to KCC
2]During your interview at the Embassy
3]At your port of entry into the US at the Airport immigration desk.
In fact, even if you don't stay with your aunt, you can still use her address just to collect your GC in the mail.
Keep bubbling, no shaking.

Please there is a lady that won in 2007 that I came accross but forms returned to KCC was filled by her brother bcos she trusted him. The brother filled in as her spouse and as well filled in his qualification instead of the young lady's, just bcos he wants to go the U.S. The number will be current in September 2007. KCC confirmed receipt of her package. What can be done to assist so that this opportunity does not elude her.

Please there is a lady that won in 2007 that I came accross but forms returned to KCC was filled by her brother bcos she trusted him. The brother filled in as her spouse and as well filled in his qualification instead of the young lady's, just bcos he wants to go the U.S. The number will be current in September 2007. KCC confirmed receipt of her package. What can be done to assist so that this opportunity does not elude her.

Jcloud, i thot we told you in the other thread that there is no magic to this, the brother has forfited it all, if she should continue with this thing she might end up being banished out ot USA o.

Thanks for your response, but one of my question remain unanswered, can one fill in place of residence in Maryland, yet get a sponsor from Texas?

you are right

The case number works numerically in ascending order; those with smaller numbers get interviewed before those with bigger numbers because that is the order in which their numbers become "current". However, Modest may get interviewed earlier than Ubus, if he returned his first package to KCC earlier than Ubus [remember they advise you to return it on time.] But their case numbers usually become current in the same batch/month.
Also Modest had his interview at a US embassy in the Carribean/West Indies and Ubus was interviewed in Lagos. Their case numbers became current in the same month [I think] but the different Embassies have different interview schedules. Modest was the only DV case at the Embassy on the day that he interviewed.
Remember that some people reschedule their original interview date and some people miss their original interview date.
you are right becos kcc actually sent me a date for june 1st, and the embassy changed it to june 19th due to the period they recieved the package from kcc, so they gave room for me to complete the medicals and get some doucments ready

Q A] You are fine, since you have your original certificate [which they can verify if they like] and the date issue was just a clerical error.
Q B] You need to send your sponsor a list of the stuff to fill out and send back to you; Ubus just gave us a list [in her interview experience]. Your sponsor probably already has copies of her latest wages statement [W-2], bank statement or letter, and tax return [copy of her tax return or she can get her tax transcript free from the IRS]
The only thing she needs to fill out is form I-134 affidavit of support; download at the USCIS website or she can search for it and dowload it thru' google.
Q C]
i] WAEC verification is not neccesary if you have your original WAEC certificate; otherwise you can get it now since it does not expire.
ii] International passport can be obtained now, since it is valid for 5 years; my understanding is that you can use your old one if it is still valid for 6 months beyond your interview date.
iii] Police certificate probably should be obtained when your number becomes current since this is only valid for 3 months in Nigeria.
iv] Birth certificate can be obtained now since it never expires.
Q D] This is vital for your resume and job search, but the Embassy has absolutely no interest. Only your WAEC [+/- your degrees].
Q E] You only need that address for the first month after you arrive in the US so that they can mail you your green card. So if your aunt will let you stay with her for the first month, you don't need to change anything. [You can still be looking for new friends and new jobs outside Virginia].
However, if she will not let you stay that long, you can change to a new address:
1]At any time via e-mail to KCC
2]During your interview at the Embassy
3]At your port of entry into the US at the Airport immigration desk.
In fact, even if you don't stay with your aunt, you can still use her address just to collect your GC in the mail.
Keep bubbling, no shaking.

I hope say u don dey look for lecturing work, u sabi analys, the guy go understand pass wetin im ask self
keep rolling and e gbadura fun wa

oga

j cloud, i beg wetin dey, who be this lady, is she ur ?????????????, we need to know, becos am begining to think that emotions are involved. This is one mistake too much to make, but tell u what, i find it hard to believe that it was not a case of multiple entry, the pill may be too bitter to swallow, but that is what the lady should do.
Close her eyes and let this roll bye and pretend as if it never happened, God will give her the strenght to do so,

Brethren little sins can cause a lot of Wahala, there is this saying ' The process of trying to cover a little sin gives room to commiting a greater sin, and the end result is always .........................' Thou shalt not write negative thing

No special string attached.

Please, let all know that most of us 2008 winners are just getting used to this thread of a thing. Sincerely until yesterday, I did not understand how this things work, but I now know there is a thread dedicated for 2008 winners.
Well as per the lady (no string attached), the family she belongs happen to be one of my tenants, and really feel for them for the "lost" opportunity. As I said in 2007 winners forum, I will never be part of anything fraudulent, I thought possibly someone with similar experience exist. The candid advise of you all will be passed to the family this weekend, actually I printed that on the 2007 winners thread.
When do you think my number will be current 2008AF000004xx? KCC confirmed receipt of my forms. When will I get the second letter? Which hospital in Nigeria carry out the medical? Is it done on weekend? please pardon me for the many questions I am changing job and don't know if my boss will give me time to do the runs during office hours. Also on my wife GCE certificate which she used to get her Polytechnic admission (Diploma), Waec quoted wrong date of birth. Any problem.
Thanks for your response on the Affidavit of Support of a thing.
Modest, joyful, jrcies, Baba Aladura, others thanks for been there.