• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2008 Lucky Winners From Nigeria

okay oo

Onyii, someone once said that lottery could go for mystery or really do not make sense, no one can indeed say specifically how the interviews are scheduled. May be I sent in the forms late and I just think we should forget how KCC schedule interviews and channel our thoughts to how our chances can be enhanced and help one another.

ehhmm my brother Lets call it Mystery since we don"t know the system works.
But I can Assure you the earlier you are schedule for Interview the better chances you have. we can prove it.

ehhmm my brother Lets call it Mystery since we don"t know the system works.
But I can Assure you the earlier you are schedule for Interview the better chances you have. we can prove it.

Nah, the time you were scheduled for an interview has nothin to do with you getting the visa.

Really?

Nah, the time you were scheduled for an interview has nothin to do with you getting the visa.

so what is the Advantages of having Low and medium Number?
and what is the Gain of asking one to return his or her Form as early as possible?
there are specific Available number of visas. then since it is first come first serve and the number of applicant is greater than number of available Visa.
therefore the earlier you are scheduled for interview the better.

so what is the Advantages of having Low and medium Number?
and what is the Gain of asking one to return his or her Form as early as possible?
there are specific Available number of visas. then since it is first come first serve and the number of applicant is greater than number of available Visa.
therefore the earlier you are scheduled for interview the better.

I GUESS I WAS THINKING YOU MEANT THAT FOLKS WHO HAVE SCHEDULED INTERVIEW DATES IN OCTOBER HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF NOT GETTING DENIED THAN FOLKS WITH INTERVIEWS IN APRIL.

AS LONG AS VISAS ARE AVAILABLE AND YOU HAVE BEEN SCHEDULED FOR AN INTERVIEW, YOU HAVE THESAME SHOT AT IT AS SOMEONE WHOSE INTERVIEW WAS MONTHS BEFORE

I GUESS I WAS THINKING YOU MEANT THAT FOLKS WHO HAVE SCHEDULED INTERVIEW DATES IN OCTOBER HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF NOT GETTING DENIED THAN FOLKS WITH INTERVIEWS IN APRIL.

AS LONG AS VISAS ARE AVAILABLE AND YOU HAVE BEEN SCHEDULED FOR AN INTERVIEW, YOU HAVE THESAME SHOT AT IT AS SOMEONE WHOSE INTERVIEW WAS MONTHS BEFORE

I think getting Visa is GOD primarily and the consular secondarily. The rate at which visa are issued for low numbers may be higher considering low pressure and higher available visas or I don't really seems to understand, but as Johnkent believe, I will also toe that line, if your number is low and you have inadequate records, then what assurance do you have of getting visa.

I think getting Visa is GOD primarily and the consular secondarily. The rate at which visa are issued for low numbers may be higher considering low pressure and higher available visas or I don't really seems to understand, but as Johnkent believe, I will also toe that line, if your number is low and you have inadequate records, then what assurance do you have of getting visa.

The pressure might be low in EU countries but Nigeria is a different story

it is ok

please if your name is Jack Emeka Paul and your passport and MBA cert reads Emeka Jack Paul while birth cert and WAEC reads Jack Emeka Paul is this a problem? If it is could affi solve it?

dont do any affidavit, this is ok, Nigeria is not too kin about name arrangement before and the embassy is aware, that name arrangement is not there main problem, it is ommission and addition that they are looking for

pressure

Pressure does not work that way for the embassy, believe it, they are very focused and trained, all they look for is lapses and they all report to kcc on monthly bases (world wide). that report determines the visa bulletin, so that they do not over- shoot, DV visa is centrally controlled, they know what they are looking for, and tell u what they all have similar way of attending with people.
The only diff is that in Nigeria, the security men and the first set of people that take ur package are so rude and piss u off, making u nervous, other countries it is not like that, even when they deny u visa, they will still trat u like a human being and not a fraud star.
What we should be concerned about now is to pray that all numbers are current by sept 2008, and our own part is to make sure that our documents are intact.

I receive my notification letter in may and returned to kcc by sept and made an addition after my number was current, i still was able to scale through, so i dont think submission period has anything to do with it

Mobolaji, what happened is very possble, i have experienced it before on about two occasions, the only good job u have to do is to get ur family doucments and photographs and prepare ur self for some extra questions, since they gave u form for everybody it means u have filled the pricipal applicant portion correctly.

Big Issue

Man, there is money to be made in the states. Don't get me wrong. But for an African who comes here without a degree(maybe has one that is not recognised at all), ur best bet is to try and get a college degree no matter what the major is. It can be hard sometimes here for folks who graduate with some degrees to get a job but atleast you have somethin. I know most of you have calculated making $6/ hr into Niara and think thats alot of money. Haha.probably half of that will be gone on taxes, social security and medicare before the money even gets to ya.
Anyway, life is tough here but there are so many oppurtunities. Another thing you have to put into consideration before u leave nigeria is where exactly do you wanna live when u get here. I know lots of folks are going to Houston, ATL, NY, Dallas. Those places from my experience and having lived here for a while, isn't where a Nigerian from Africa should start his life here in the states.Its really hard to explain what i mean but people figure it out themselves when they get here and sometimes, they find it hard to move somewhere else cuz they get stuck. It would be a learning experience from the moment you step off the plane. I wish y'all good luck thou. Just holla at me whenever y'all get here. I'll be glad to help a brotha out

John, u will agree with me that the issue u are dicussing is a very important one.
On this note I will be gald if u to throw more light to it, it may take u a couple of minutes to write, but if u do so u will be helping a whole lot of people.
I know very well that most people get to US and get dissapointed, but what we should realise is that it is not easy to spend that much money on air ticket and the zap back to Nigeria. On this note I will wish that u can suggest a few things that people can fit into and the good states where people can stay,
from my own experience, people stay in newyork and jersy, especially the downtown becos they fill that by that they will be close to information, though most times it doesnt work that way, DC is a bit expensive, though crime is getting reduced and moving to prince george county in maryland, Gatheisburg is a surburd and may not be good for new immgrants, but transportation in DC, and Md is very cheap and can help immigrants, so may stuff.
I will wish that u talk about the qualification, and schooling, if anybody is going into undergraduate proram as a GC holder, the person can get financial aid, student loans etc what about the welfare and the govt medicare for babies, food stamp, un-employment benefit.
America may not be good, but it if better for now, it is a law abiding country and the judicial system is good which makes u a bit protected.
Somany people go into medical line , but some people dont do that, it depends on the team that welcome u to america, look here my people, if somebody that struggled to get paper welcome u to US, and has done a lot of odd jobs, that is the advice they will give u, becos they expect u to start where they started.
I know of a guy that won DV 2007, he now works with ATL state (transport), the guy studied in Nigeria, though he didnt get the job immediately, he was working and a sales person at best buy before getting the job.
Pls my people in the states at this jucture, can u share ur experience about job and lively hood pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Last edited by a moderator:
John, u will agree with me that the issue u are dicussing is a very important one.
On this note I will be gald if u to throw more light to it, it may take u a couple of minutes to write, but if u do so u will be helping a whole lot of people.
I know very well that most people get to US and get dissapointed, but what we should realise is that it is not easy to spend that much money on air ticket and the zap back to Nigeria. On this note I will wish that u can suggest a few things that people can fit into and the good states where people can stay,
from my own experience, people stay in newyork and jersy, especially the downtown becos they fill that by that they will be close to information, though most times it doesnt work that way, DC is a bit expensive, though crime is getting reduced and moving to prince george county in maryland, Gatheisburg is a surburd and may not be good for new immgrants, but transportation in DC, and Md is very cheap and can help immigrants, so may stuff.
I will wish that u talk about the qualification, and schooling, if anybody is going into undergraduate proram as a GC holder, the person can get financial aid, student loans etc what about the welfare and the govt medicare for babies, food stamp, un-employment benefit.
America may not be good, but it if better for now, it is a law abiding country and the judicial system is good which makes u a bit protected.
Somany people go into medical line , but some people dont do that, it depends on the team that welcome u to america, look here my people, if somebody that struggled to get paper welcome u to US, and has done a lot of odd jobs, that is the advice they will give u, becos they expect u to start where they started.
I know of a guy that won DV 2007, he now works with ATL state (transport), the guy studied in Nigeria, though he didnt get the job immediately, he was working and a sales person at best buy before getting the job.
Pls my people in the states at this jucture, can u share ur experience about job and lively hood pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Modest, we all miss you for the short break. We, yet preparing for the interview require understanding on all issues you have raised especially the following:
1. In term of residence, where is the best states for a new immigrant?
2. What minimum qualification will give an immigrant a leverage?
3. Is the medical line the only acceptable and quickest profession for an immigrant? Any hope for lecturers, accountant, auditors (aftermath of Enron case - SOX) e.t.c.
I think we need to look beyond a successful interview and begins to educate winners more on reality of America. It is not easy paying so much for visas and life becomes difficult therafter. For me I believe ones children will have access to better education and exposure. So if the expedition is done because of ones family, it is worth it.
Sincerely, Modest someone told me that who your sponsor is determine the best way things goes for you. Exactly what you said, that if your sponsor had it rough at the beginning, then you too must be prepare to toe his line, because that is what he knows. Many advised me I should not resign my appointment, but it all depends on how long you have been on this job to determine whether you are qualified to ask for a leave. Sincerely, I know Nigerians are hardworking people and will cope anywhere in the world, though may be not all.
I want to appeal to many that are already settled in the states to please come to the aids of thousands that win DV yearly to learn and prepare. Since you can not really be identified, people can share their real experiences to help others like us. I know America needs skilled and professionals to help improve the economy.
Fellow DV winners, the internet is there where we can really get a lot of information. Let us use that always. Also let us note the attitude of the guards at the Nigerian embassy as raised by Modest. God help us all. Amen

What do I need to do

dont do any affidavit, this is ok, Nigeria is not too kin about name arrangement before and the embassy is aware, that name arrangement is not there main problem, it is ommission and addition that they are looking for

Oga Modest, Like in my own case I have 2 WAEC result and for one of them, my middle name was omitted leaving just my Surname and First name. Although the other WAEC result has 5 credits but its a Nigerian language that made it 5 credit. I have done an affidavit, what else do I need do?

Case Number – AF200800008XXX
NL: Received May 2007.
Forms Returned: May 2007.
KCC Confirmation: June 2007.
Awaiting 2nd letter

Just to be sure.

My names on birth cert are Adek Adej Adef with Adef as surname. I dropped Adej in Pry and sec. schools using only Adek Adef. For higher qualifications and on other certifications with expired and new passport I added John now bearing John Adek Adef. This also is the name with which I applied for the DV. John is my baptismal name, and certificate was not issued. Any implication? Difference is only in the dropped and added names.
Thanks for all quick responses.

Affidavit of Support

Hello Modest,
Thanks for all your contributions.
Please can you through more light on the issue of affidavit of support expecially for those of us who have children. I have three children and would like to know the much that may be expected from my sponsor.

Name Mix-Up's

Pls folks, I and probably other folks in this forum as sick and tired of answering thesame questions about name mix-up all the time.if you don't have any other question to ask, just read.
I know we've addressed those kinda issues here several times but some people keep bringing it up same issue.
if you're name is all mixed up, there's nothin i or anyone in here can do about it. Try and straighten it out urself.
Am just kinda pissed, thats all. LOL

Hi everyone in the house. I am happy with the response i am getting from you guys. I want to advise here that people should know the type of documents that they send to KCC cos some people could not even defend those documents at the Embassy.

Life in the States

let me start off with your sponsor. Because someone is ur sponsor and sends all that tax forms and stuff for you so you can get the visa dosen't mean that his gonna take care of ya when u get here. Most folks might put a roof under your head for maybe 2 months and out the door you go. When Nigerians come here, they have thesame mentality that cuz someone is ur uncle/brother, uc an stay at his house for as long as you want but an sorry, that is not the way it works here.A few wks after u get here, whoever u are staying with will be expecting ya to go get a job, help pay bills or move out ASAP.
About Jobs, it really dosen't matter what u are into, there is a job for ya but it depends on how much the job pays. I really don't know if Nigerian degrees are accepted here but if they are, i think u must have passed a couple of licensing exams or whatever you need to take to be able to practice.Probably when u get here, u will only be able to get a minimum wage job which really sucks but you know, most americans work minimum wage jobs. And again, if you are staying in a town that really dosen't have public transportation( Most cities in the US don't have any public transport), then u might have a difficult time getting to and from your work which is really really hard.

About going to School, you can get financial aid/loans but you will not be able to pay in-state tuition right away until u've been living and working in the state for atleast a yr(some states 2 yrs). Out of State tution are sometimes double what in-state kids pay. For your kids, they will be able to go to free public schoold. Depending on where u live, u might have a horrible or really nice public school. Don't think all public elementary sch's in America must be good. believe me, i've been to some and you do not want your kid(s) in there for a second. really bad.Some folks drive miles in the morning just to make sure their kids go to the good sch across town. Anyway, if you already have a Bachelors from Nigeria, all you need to do is get a masters and u'll be able to get a decent job.
if you don't have any college degree and do not intend on going back to sch here, am sorry as i don't know what to tell you. U'll just have to do take watever job that u might find just like most people.

When folks in Nigeria say odd jobs, i really dont get what y'all mean cuz most people here are working at Fast food Restaurants, walmart, retail shops, and stuff like that.I guess what am trying to say is that folks that work at thse places here are not looked at as poor as u'll look at the guys that do odd jobs in nigeria.

About states where someone can live, its really hard to tell cuz the U.S is so huge and each state is kinda different and like the Northeast is totally different from the midwest or the West. it really depends on what kinda weather, food and stuff that u like. But for someone from nigeria, who really don't know what its like here, i think u'll just have to figure out where u really wanna stay when u get here and travel around(haha, most people have been here for yrs and haven't been outta of the state they live).

if you wanna go into the medical field, u might consider medicine, physical therapy, Nursing, Physician assistant.
Anyway, i just got back from work and i need tog et some sleep. i'll write some more when i wake up.

those of y'all that are coming this Winter, be ready for the cold. U'll be freezing ur butt off unless your staying in the south

u need AOS

Hello Modest,
Thanks for all your contributions.
Please can you through more light on the issue of affidavit of support expecially for those of us who have children. I have three children and would like to know the much that may be expected from my sponsor.

u will need affidavit of support and the person or people must earn not less than $42,000 per annum

Last edited by a moderator:
I will love this

pls my people, kindly go through this thread all over, we have actually discuss a lot of issue, that will be helpful.
All this name mix up tire me, like John said, I mean in Nigeria we all have average of two names and surname, which is what oyinbo call first and second name. but most of our parents are not educated so the arrangment does not disqualify us for the visa, once the two of them are present, and consistent.
if u have added a name on ur own, by biology or sociology, get a birth certficate that will include all ur names at least that will prove that u are the person. all this affidavit will sell u out. to me it means u are cleaning ur path. I mean look at the way they fill about Nigerians and fraud, that is just it, not that it is a big deal. And this will help others who are going to play dv lottery or get involved in anything serious in the future, ur name and date of birth is you and should be consistent, shikena!

To all of us who are yet to be interviewd, i dont have little faith, but based on what happened last year, I will advice that we all play the 2009 dv lottery come Oct 3rd through Dec 2nd 2007

Regards