• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2008 Lucky Winners From Nigeria

I've been readin all this stuff about the name issues and its been quite interesting.You know say oyibo for that embassy dey try as much as they can to deny nigerians DV visa and having issues with your names, that could be their reason for denial.
Hey, am not saying anyone in here will be denied a visa but the fact is, they try to find little things like that as reason for refusal.
The know for sure that it probably was a mistake with the names but they don't give a hoot about it.

I really appreciate you guys for the wonderful jobs you are doing. And i wanna congratulate those who has gotten their NL. I'm one of those that got the NL for the dv 2008. and my NL number is 2008af00023.. i got the package in april and i sent it back to the KCC after two days, however, i did not attach my passport photograph with the form sent to KCC. I later sent my passport photographs after two months to the KCC. I will like to know if this mistake will not affect my chances of being called for interview.
Furthermore, when will the 2nd letter be sent.
I know you guys are well able to answer my questions.
Admiral

Since u have sent them the passport is okay. looking at your case number 23xx it means that your one of the first set of people to have their interview in October. what you have to do now is to write Kcc mail asking them your date of interview. that will help you to know if the have scheduled any interview for you. besides the SL letter should be on the way.

I have two WAEC certificates that I intend to use for the process but I found out that one of the result bears just surname and my first name. The middle name was omitted.

Secondly in my Birth certificate, where my surname was mentioned both in my case and in my parent’s case, I found out that the person that wrote it omitted the last letter of my surname. Probably he was trying to manage the space he had because the name is long.

Also in my international passport, they wrote my middle name before my first i.e. they wrote (surname, middle name and first name) instead of (surname, first name & middle name)

Can an affidavit handle these issues or do I have to do something else?

Case Number:2008AF00008xxx
Received Letter: May 2007
Sent Back To Kcc: May 2007.
Kcc Confirmed Receipt: 13th June 2007
Awaiting 2nd Letter[/QUOT

to me , the first question, there is nothing you can do about it the mistake has been made already. looking at them such things are pardonable mistakes all you have to do is pray that on the day of your interview make oyibo no wake up from his/her left hand side. Above all " GET AFFIDAVIT" to support all your document.

the second question there are things you can change.. i mean things that are changeable like your Birth certificate, why not get another one from NPC. so that u can effect the changes at once.

lastly, for the passport stuff, i see not reason to panic.."CARY GOAT TIRE FOR ROPE AND CARY ROPE TIRE FOR GOAT NA THE SAME THING..."

Good Luck..

My own point of view

i dont think so. I sent an email to them to change a data in my DS 230 form, but when i called to verify, they asked if i got an auto response reply and i said no. The lady on the other end now told me to relate those changes to the person interviewing me at the embassy. I guess it's always good to follow up your email with a call to KCC.

Thanks for your Informations. But looking at the issue in your case, the lady did not tell you whether your letter was received or not. which is the main reason am asking. According to Modest the letter probably did not get to them. and that is why the lady was asking you if you get any confirmatory mail.
Telling you to relate those changes to the person interviewing you did not mean that they got the mail or not. now what am understanding from they is that instead of you trying to send to them again,channel those issues to the person that will do your interview. may be is some thing they embassy can handle.
thanks
good luck..all

i dont agree

i dont think so. I sent an email to them to change a data in my DS 230 form, but when i called to verify, they asked if i got an auto response reply and i said no. The lady on the other end now told me to relate those changes to the person interviewing me at the embassy. I guess it's always good to follow up your email with a call to KCC.

if u read my post in 2007, i made some changes and addition, i never called kcc for once,
and about the auto responce am writing from personal experience

i want to appreciate everybody in this forum again. Ive been blessed by your write ups.
I'm still expectiing my 2NL i i hope it will come soon. However, my international passport expires next year april 2008. i will like to know if i should get another passport ready incase im called for interview, or should i present the passport that will expire next year?

i want to appreciate everybody in this forum again. Ive been blessed by your write ups.
I'm still expectiing my 2NL i i hope it will come soon. However, my international passport expires next year april 2008. i will like to know if i should get another passport ready incase im called for interview, or should i present the passport that will expire next year?

it depends on when u get ur visa but i believe ur passport should be not be expiring in less than 6 months when u enter the states so u'll probably will have to renew it. There might be exceptions for GC holders thou. Dunno.
You don't need a new passport unless u've renewed it before. The life span of a Nigerian passport is 10yrs.

renew

renew ur passport fast, ur visa will be valid for 6months and will serve as temporal green card for one year after endorsement, so u nee a visa tha will be valid for one year
ur passport will be used to travel for the next five years until u become a us citizen and get us passport, so ur pp must be valid for the next five years, the choice is urs, but those are the wuloful

What then

I've been readin all this stuff about the name issues and its been quite interesting.You know say oyibo for that embassy dey try as much as they can to deny nigerians DV visa and having issues with your names, that could be their reason for denial.
Hey, am not saying anyone in here will be denied a visa but the fact is, they try to find little things like that as reason for refusal.
The know for sure that it probably was a mistake with the names but they don't give a hoot about it.

Thanks Johnkent for the frank talk.I guess that is just the thing with such silly mistakes.Oyibo is looking for loopholes and they try as much as possible to find a reason no matter how small to disqualify somebody.I think the best thing is having done all to qualify,everyone As for i am already declaring that oyibo wil not see anything that will knock me out cos God has already qualified me for this thing.

Meanwhile,i have one quetion here.I have a second WAEC,actually GCE in which the names follow the same order as in my lottery application and
i made more than enough credits but the snag is that i made a pass in English language.Is that acceptable?

Alternatively,what if i choose to abbreviate the middle name in all documents such as international passport,police cert and the likes since all of my previous documents with exception of the birth and degree cert and of course the initial lottery entry follow the same order?

Thanks for your answer to my queries. You are all appreciated. I called KCC and i was told my interview comes up on 25th oct.
i will like to know if i'll do the medicals before going for the interview or is it going to be after the interview.
Furthermore, i will like to know the processing period of the visa from the date of the interview. How long does it take to process the visa.
Thanks

Update your signature.

Thanks for your answer to my queries. You are all appreciated. I called KCC and i was told my interview comes up on 25th oct.
i will like to know if i'll do the medicals before going for the interview or is it going to be after the interview.
Furthermore, i will like to know the processing period of the visa from the date of the interview. How long does it take to process the visa.
Thanks

Admiral,
Pls update your signature, let us have an idea about your CN.

Thanks for your Informations. But looking at the issue in your case, the lady did not tell you whether your letter was received or not. which is the main reason am asking. According to Modest the letter probably did not get to them. and that is why the lady was asking you if you get any confirmatory mail.
Telling you to relate those changes to the person interviewing you did not mean that they got the mail or not. now what am understanding from they is that instead of you trying to send to them again,channel those issues to the person that will do your interview. may be is some thing they embassy can handle.
thanks
good luck..all

Hello, from my experience in I.T, and from normal usage of mail facilities, if you send an email, and it wasn't received, it will bounce back to the sender. Emails don't get lost in transit, OK! The only reason i know for one not getting the auto-response or confirmatory mail is because they deactivated it, or probably they are having problems on their own end as regards that. Auto-response is only setup to help fasten response to numerous queries, and can only be activated or deactivated by that individual. You can see that we both have problems with this, and we may not be the only ones. It only points to the fact that they get the emails but because of the problems with their Auto-response , they may not be able to read all inquires. So, it's adviced that one follow each emails with a call to verify. It wouldn't hurt anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Inquiries

Hello, my interview is in October and i'll like to make the following Inquires.

Does the embassy accept bank statement of someone who is a permanent resident from a DV applicant during the interview?
Like how much do you guys think would be enough or adequate to have in a bank account for interview here in Niger?
What about Shares Certificate from a close relative, do they accept that?

Like how much does Police Certificates cost?
How long does it take for one to get it?

If one has the WAEC certificate, do you need to do verification with WAEC at all for the case for the interview?

Regards,

Does the embassy accept bank statement of someone who is a permanent resident from a DV applicant during the interview?
Like how much do you guys think would be enough or adequate to have in a bank account for interview here in Niger?
What about Shares Certificate from a close relative, do they accept that?
Would you accept a bank statement from Donald Trump if I show you one? ;)

However, it is nowhere written how much money you must have, but I read in some other forums $15.000 for the applicant + $5000 for each derivative is a limit. That can funds in your bank account, stocks, a life insurance or sth. like this.

Reply to TAZMANIA

Hey Tazmania, but Donald Trump is not a close relative or friend. Would you ask an 18 year old who just got through high school with WAEC to produce a bank statement? Of course the bank statement as to come from someone either here or jand or yankee.

Dude, you have to understand that summiting a hefty account would mean you have a very good job or a business. And look at the condition of the account: at least you must have been operating such for some time say 6mths - 1year with inflow and outflow of cash. How many guys have all that kind thing for Niger. Na wa for you Ohhh! You never even talk of the money wey you go take process the visa and bills plus flight ticket.

Men, this oyinbos are smart. You dont neet to complicate issues. If the guy i'll be staying with for the time being can help me with such, as he has a good job, and he left via the DV lottery 5years ago, then it ok! But what i dont know is if they would or still accept such for single applicant. Of course, i hope to go to the place with a check of about $5,000 to help meet immediate needs upon arrival there, before i get a job.

Man mi i dont understand the later part of your mail

Regards

The Evidence of support Answers

Dear Pals in the house,

Haven browsed through the various rooms on this Website, i came up with answers to the question of the Evidence of Support issues i raised earlier. I guess this should apply to us too, as Bangladash and Nigeria are both 3rd world countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahid474
Hi all,
I am a DV-2008 winner from Bangladesh. My NL no is AS00001xxx. Is Affidavit of Support is a must. I don't have any relative in USA who can give me Affidavit of Support. Is there any alternative of Affidavit of Support ? Please suggest me.

Dear Zahid,

Basically what is important is that you have to be able to show that you can support yourself and your family and that you will not become a burden to the government after you go to the US.
There are any 1 of these 3 ways in which you can do that –

1) Get a job offer from somebody in the US.
2) Get an “affidavit of support” from somebody who lives in the US and is either a US citizen or a Green Card holder
3) Show bank records that show you have a reasonable amount of money which you will be able to take to the US when you go.

For most people who are not already in the US, option 1 (job offer) will not be possible in most cases.

There are some countries where it is difficult or impossible for the US embassy to confirm the truth of bank statements and bank records submitted by applicants. There are also countries in which it is not possible for those who are immigrating to take their own money with them due to exchange control rules. In such countries option 3 will also not be available, and in practice, the only alternative left will be to get an affidavit of support.

I don’t think that this will be the case in Bangladesh and most probably you will have the option of submitting bank statements to show that you can support yourself after going to the US. The reason I say this is that otherwise this issue would have already come up in this forum!
If you want to be absolutely sure you can just phone the US Embassy in Dhaka and ask them whether they accept bank statements or whether an affidavit of support is a must.

If you are submitting bank statements to show that you will be able to support yourself after going to the US, then there is no absolute fixed amount. It depends on the circumstances of the person and the opinion of the officer conducting the interview.
I’ve read that for somebody who is a professional and has a university degree, they are lenient on this matter and are prepared to accept a lower amount. So you have an advantage there!
Also I’ve read that the amount expected is 125% of the official US poverty level. (But please note that I've haven't seen any official state department document that confirms this. So it has the status of a rumour Also I’ve read that they are often stricter than that for immigrants from wealthier countries.)
You can find the official US poverty level here –
http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/07poverty.shtml
If we take a family of 3 for example, the US government will officially consider that family to be “poor” if they have to live on less than 17,170 dollars per year. 125% of that figure is 21,465 dollars. So if you can show that you have that much money in the bank you should be fine.
However this is not a “rule”. It all depends on the opinion of the visa officer. Because you are a professional and a university graduate, there is a chance that he might even be willing to accept an amount lower than that.
Even if you cannot show cash in the bank, you can also show some property that you own and say that you intend to sell it and take the money with you if you get a visa. But showing cash in the bank will be more advantageous.

In general, since everything depends on the opinion of the officer conducting the interview, the only “rule” is that “the more you show the better”. The more money you can show in the bank, the more assets you can show, the better it is.

Also as LucyMo said, there is no need for a relative in the US. Anybody who is a US citizen or a green card holder can give an affidavit of support. But ofcourse only someone who is a relative or a very close friend will be willing to do that for someone else!

In my own opinion, one should get to read the whole thread, as it very important. Go to: Affidavit of support, under the general Lottery Visa - DV, dated 30th August 2007 and started by zahid474. In addition, go to Affidavit of support,Big QUESTON.? dated 31st August 2007 and started by N.RAJI. You'll see the importance of having a combination of your Bank Statements and Affidavit of Support from someone with a good job in the U.S. This can be supplemented with all other evidences of support.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm new to the forum, I live in the UK, my CN is 2008AF00028XXX, I got my NL in April and returned it in May, I've not got any response from KCC since, what should I do? Mates, please advise me

I'm new to the forum, I live in the UK, my CN is 2008AF00028XXX, I got my NL in April and returned it in May, I've not got any response from KCC since, what should I do? Mates, please advise me

You should do nothing. Infact there is nothing you can do other than wait. If you are from Nigeria, you may not be lucky to ever be called up for interview because of your high case number. Whatever happens, I personally think you should play DV2009, pray that your number gets current between July - Sept 2008, and last but not least just go ahead with your normal life like nothing has happened.

Hi,

KCC will not send any correspondence acknowledging receipt of forms. If you wish to confirm that they have received your forms you can either call or email them. Their contact information is contained in the NL.