Dual citizenship

I am following this thread with interest, and it seems that the passport you choose to enter a country of which you are not a citizen can make a difference. Especially in drastic circumstances.

I have a US and EU passport and in such a case my opinion would be to travel within the EU with my EU passport and the rest of the world with my US passport. Do you guys agree? or are there countries where a an EU passport would be suggested?

I have a US and EU passport and in such a case my opinion would be to travel within the EU with my EU passport and the rest of the world with my US passport. Do you guys agree? or are there countries where a an EU passport would be suggested?
If you get arrested in a country, or get kidnapped by terrorists, who would you want to come to your aid ... the US, or your EU country? Base your decision on that.

You definitely want to take your EU passport to South America (Brazil requires a visa for US citizens but not for EU nationals, Chile imposes a fee on entry for US citizens, EU travel free). I would also use EU passport for entering Australia (ETA costs $20 but eVisitor is free and gives you more flexibility than ETA).

Well, your US passport may cause you to be targeted in the first place, so, though you may want the US to come to your aid, you may want to avoid being targeted too...

If you get arrested in a country, or get kidnapped by terrorists, who would you want to come to your aid ... the US, or your EU country? Base your decision on that.

Well, Italy has been known to pay ransom to have hostages released. You bet I'll ask for italian aid.
And that's why (not really because of that lol) my american wife applied for italian citizenship.
I'm less romantic than most people. To me being a US citizen is just an immigration status change.

This is no trick question ...... but I think one should decide not only on the convenience of presenting a passport to enter the country but also which country is also better represented in case of an emergency.

One particular question regarding case when you already have dual citezenship at the time of applying for US one.

N-400 simply doesn't have place for listing several citizenships. N-400 instructions suggest to specify the one latest passport has been issued for. Does it mean latest physical passport OR latest nationality (as passports get expired, one renews them so you may have newer passport for "older" nationality)?

I simply hand wrote the second citizenship next to the appropriate box.

N-400 simply doesn't have place for listing several citizenships. N-400 instructions suggest to specify the one latest passport has been issued for. Does it mean latest physical passport OR latest nationality (as passports get expired, one renews them so you may have newer passport for "older" nationality)?

Hi Triple citizen,

On which criteria do you decide which passport to use when travelling in and out of countries of which you are not a citizen?

Well firstly I find out which passport allows visa free entry. That pretty much rules out my Pakistani passport. Between the Canadian and US, it depends on which country I am entering. A lot depends on the kind of relationship that country has with the US. :)

On which criteria do you decide which passport to use when travelling in and out of countries of which you are not a citizen?