Dual Citizenship

iluvfra

Registered Users (C)
How many of you folks will keep your old citizenship when becoming U.S. citizens. My EU passport allows me to hold more than one.... Are there any others out there???

Any great insights on dual citizenship???

Thanks

When you say " keep old citizenship" , do you mean countries that automatically allow dual citizenship or are you asking if anyone will officially renounce their old citizenship?

Either way, I can't keep Indian citizenship. I wish I could, so that I could visit places like Cuba and Iran (not that I'm a radical) without extra hassles. Oh well... maybe I'll end up with my girlfriend for a long time and then be entitled to German citizenship in the future :)

I still have my EU (UK) passport, and intend to continue using it to bypass the hideous immigration lines when arriving at London Heathrow. Outside of the EU, I'll be traveling on my US passport.

With all due respect iluvfra, your question is not very interesting ;) The interesting question would be how many give up another citizenship voluntarily. I know nobody. Basically I think everybody who can have dual citizenship has dual citizenship. I hope this satisfies your curiosity ;)

I still have my EU (UK) passport, and intend to continue using it to bypass the hideous immigration lines when arriving at London Heathrow. Outside of the EU, I'll be traveling on my US passport.

You're lucky, dude. I guess you'd use whichever passport would be more advantageous in any given situation, eh? Are you never going to live in the EU again?

And, I agree that most people wouldn't want to give up other citizenships, but sometimes, there're things like military service to consider. Some people would love to give up Singaporean or Israeli citizenship, for example, in order to avoid the service.

Huracan thank you for being more interesting! Your pithy insights bring a fresh breath into this stuffy forum. Still a public forum right? Still allowed to ask boring questions right? Don't need to comment on everything - smart ass! ;)

Bobysmith,
I am just wondering how many folks on this forum will be dual citizens after the oath ceremony or intend to be dual citizens...

Huracan thank you for being more interesting! Your pithy insights bring a fresh breath into this stuffy forum. Still a public forum right? Still allowed to ask boring questions right? Don't need to comment on everything - smart ass! ;)

First of all I didn't call you names, and I don't comment on everything, just in whatever catches my eye. As you say this is a public forum in which I think everything that stays on topic is fine, and as long as people are respected. On the subject of asking boring questions I have written myself some and been called off topic, and even got some thread removed by moderators when they became too heated. So, no, it is not a public forum, it is a moderated forum, and it doesn't belong to you or to me.

Dude, get out of the lecture mode. I just asked a question that was not relevant to you.... so get your shorts out of a knot. Well, since you like to split hairs, this forum is public in the sense that anyone can ask questions - right.

So let's move on....

You're lucky, dude. I guess you'd use whichever passport would be more advantageous in any given situation, eh? Are you never going to live in the EU again?

And, I agree that most people wouldn't want to give up other citizenships, but sometimes, there're things like military service to consider. Some people would love to give up Singaporean or Israeli citizenship, for example, in order to avoid the service.

I wouldn't deny that I've had my fair share of luck over the 10 years since being in the US. While I don't see myself living in the EU again, I don't have a crystal ball, and can't tell what might happen some years down the road. Options are always a good thing, and unless I find myself needing a Top Secret security clearance (unlikely, since I work in a boatyard), I really doubt I'll ever need to give up my dual status.

Boatyard? Fascinating. What do you do?

Service manager, marine electrician, occasional diesel mechanic, general dogsbody.... I do most everything if the situation requires it.

Way less stressful than when I worked with telecom software development.

Service manager, marine electrician, occasional diesel mechanic, general dogsbody.... I do most everything if the situation requires it.

Way less stressful than when I worked with telecom software development.

Sounds like a good, hands on job. I have no idea what I'm going to do. Tough choices...

Why yes... I do! Hey, you are not even a yank et and you are already down on the French! You'll make a good Ameican!