DS2019,J1 visa says I'm exempt from 2yr res req-Shd I still have to apply 4 J Waiver?

asrpdoc

Registered Users (C)
Dear all,

I am on a J1 visa (valid till October 2008).

Both my DS2019 and J1 visa says I'm exempt from '212(E) 2year homecountry residence' requirement.

Should I still have to apply for a 'J Waiver' if I incase I change to H1B in future.

I have written to the 'Waiver Review Branch' of the Dept of State (DOS) for their 'advisory opinion' on the same.

It looks like it may take upto 6-8 weeks minimum to get a an advisory opinion.

In the mean time, I was thinking of applying for a J1 waiver while I am still here in the US.

I had got my current J1 visa from the US embassy in Switzerland and my program is sponsored by a Switzerland-based organization. I receive no US government or Indian govt funding for my program in US.

I would be very much thankful for your valuable input folks.

Thankyou

Asrpdoc.

Last edited by a moderator:
You seem to be not subject to the 2 year rule. Why apply for a waiver of something you are not subject to? Just wait for the advisory opinion, as long that confirms you are not subject to the 2 year HRR, you can use that when you get your H1B.

Dear all,

I am on a J1 visa (valid till October 2008).

Both my DS2019 and J1 visa says I'm exempt from '212(E) 2year homecountry residence' requirement.

Should I still have to apply for a 'J Waiver' if I incase I change to H1B in future.

I have written to the 'Waiver Review Branch' of the Dept of State (DOS) for their 'advisory opinion' on the same.

It looks like it may take upto 6-8 weeks minimum to get a an advisory opinion.

In the mean time, I was thinking of applying for a J1 waiver while I am still here in the US.

I had got my current J1 visa from the US embassy in Switzerland and my program is sponsored by a Switzerland-based organization. I receive no US government or Indian govt funding for my program in US.

I would be very much thankful for your valuable input folks.

Thankyou

Asrpdoc.

You can start applying for the H now because a time consuming application and sometime in the process you will get the advisory opinion that you are not subject. If turn to be subject apply for waiver bythen

You seem to be not subject to the 2 year rule. Why apply for a waiver of something you are not subject to? Just wait for the advisory opinion, as long that confirms you are not subject to the 2 year HRR, you can use that when you get your H1B.

You can start applying for the H now because a time consuming application and sometime in the process you will get the advisory opinion that you are not subject. If turn to be subject apply for waiver bythen

thanks a lot frnds for your replies

wud sure wait till I get the advisory opinion from the DOS

anyone knows how long would it take to get the advisory opinion

some websites say 6-8 weeks whereas some say 4 months :confused:

I hope I receive it soon :)

thanks a lot frnds for your replies

wud sure wait till I get the advisory opinion from the DOS

anyone knows how long would it take to get the advisory opinion

some websites say 6-8 weeks whereas some say 4 months :confused:

I hope I receive it soon :)

My advisory opinion; 4 days. The waiver more than 10 months