Driver's License

denver3883

Registered Users (C)
I just applied for political asylum. My driver's license expires at the end of this year. will i be able to renew my license? Another things is that i won't have a valid passport (part of the reason why i am applying for political asylum in the first place).

Let me know,
Thanks

it depends on the state. in general it should be fine if your application is pending (that is it is not denied).

I just applied for political asylum. My driver's license expires at the end of this year. will i be able to renew my license? Another things is that i won't have a valid passport (part of the reason why i am applying for political asylum in the first place).

Let me know,
Thanks

Hey denver,

By the end of this year, you should be eligible for employment authorization so your best bet is to apply for an EAD based on being an Asylum applicant. (If they haven't given you a final asylum decision). You should be able to expedite the application by stating that your driver's license is expiring, you need an EAD quickly to get enough points to renew it. Also you should state that if you can't drive, you won't be able to go to work and suffer financial hardship (ESPECIALLY IN denver). Make sure you reiterate this point, Once you have your EAD, you should apply for a restricted social security card as well (one that says Valid for work only with DHS Authorization). That takes about 2 weeks. Then you should have enough points to renew your license in theory. Good luck!

thanks tons for the answers. just wanted to add that i already have a social security number. i don't know if that helps. and, also, i will be in california by then

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankful,

yeah, i saw the requirements. i guess as Assylee suggested, the only plausible solution for me would be to get that EAD...