DOS online status check-up

thank you so much, thanks for ur helping. I hope I convince my government.by the way, re u a lawyer. u know everything. thats really good for you. thank you again for everything. if I need help, I will apply u.

You're welcome. I am not a lawyer, but I have done tons of research on the J1 visa.
I have personally held three J1 visas, all with 2-year rule, and I have successfully obtained the waiver.

Hi all,

my case status was updated on April 16th showing all documents EXCEPT the NOS - which seems to happen a lot, by the way. My Embassy sent the NOS one week after I sent the package to St Louis. Any recommendation on how long I should wait until call them or try to find out what happened to my NOS?

My timeline so far:

19 mar 2010 - documents sent to St. Louis.
22 mar 2010 - documents arrived in St. Louis.
26 mar 2010 - Embassy sent the NOS
02 apr 2010 - I received my copy of NOS
16 apr 2010 - case status showed up online (documents received - EXCEPT NOS).

Thanks a lot!

Hi guys.... I am in the same boat as you all.....my documents have reached DOS & have been updated on their website on Apr 26th. They also received the NOC from the embassy on Apr 27th. However, the status is yet "pending".... A few guys I know got a 'favorable recommendation' within 3 & 5 days respectively.... however, its been 10 days in my case.. and yet NOTHING!!!

Any idea how much time it roughly takes? I've heard about cases wherein they took nearly 6-8 weeks!!! am freaking out in here.... I've got a residency on H1B.. and need to start by mid-june!
Time is running out for me...REAL FAST!! In your opinion, whats the average time which DOS takes? how long did it take for your friends/acquaintances to get the favorable recommendation from DoS? Pls share your experiences!

Thanks!

My case took 5 weeks, but that's around Christmas and New Year. Each case is different. The official estimate is 6-8 weeks, so you will simply have to wait. If there is still nothing after 8 weeks, then you can contact them.

I hope you get your favorable recommendation and the official approval notice in time. Good luck.

Hi pk_net,
All my documents showed up online 3 weeks ago and yet no sign of my NOS (that was sent by my home country embassy only 1 week after I sent everything to St. Louis). Do you have any recommendation on if I should ask my Embassy to send another NOS or just wait?
In most cases I read, NOS shows up in the system a week or so after the other documents are updated. I'm pretty confused... Any suggestions? thanks a lot!

Hi pk_net,
All my documents showed up online 3 weeks ago and yet no sign of my NOS (that was sent by my home country embassy only 1 week after I sent everything to St. Louis). Do you have any recommendation on if I should ask my Embassy to send another NOS or just wait?
In most cases I read, NOS shows up in the system a week or so after the other documents are updated. I'm pretty confused... Any suggestions? thanks a lot!

Your case is consistent with other's and mine. I assume that the NOS gets processed differently than the rest of the application. My NOS showed up 2 weeks after the embassy sent it. So, I would suggest waiting for 2 weeks then contact the embassy.

The stated processing time starts when the NOS is listed as received. In my case, the favorable recommendation showed up 5 weeks after the NOS showed up as received on the web site. Then, it's 2-3 weeks until I received the final approval notice from USCIS.

The entire process is ridiculously inefficient for the amount of application fee, but I guess there isn't anything we can do. Good luck.

Hi all,
I'm still waiting for my case status to be updated. NOS was sent twice, and still no sign of it on the online database. I can't understand that, my Embassy sent the NOS right away and on the second time I double checked to make sure that they sent it to the EXACT address provided by DoS and they did it all correctly! I don't understant why some cases get stuck on such simple steps like receiving a letter in the mail and updating the system :( So frustrating... Do you guys have any clue about that? By any chance, is there a specific weekday on which the online system is updated or something? Thanks...

Last edited by a moderator:
what about callin DOS and asking them like u ask us.U may already did but everybody knows that they always late update.

hi friends

this is shamsher and i have a question
i have got a NORI from the indian embassy and my papers have been forwarded to deptt of state. i hve a case number but it is not showing..my visa expires on july 21 2010. will i get the waiver before that? I mean after the docs are with the deptt of state with the fee of $215 and everything how much time does it take for the waiver..please advice
Is there a way that as my application is under process i get an extention on my j1

please reply ASAP

Hi shamsher,
it's really hard to tell if you will or will not make it in time cus each case is different. DoS says that after all your documents show up online, including NOS, their processing time can take up to 6-8 weeks. Many cases are much faster than that though while others are slower. I guess you can try an extention but I am not sure. I don't know how long the extention process takes and you might end up with another 2-yr home residency to fight against in the future. Good luck and hopefully your waiver will come in time.

-- NOT AN ATTORNEY, ONLY PERSONAL OPINION --

Hey All,
Some people know me.I went to USA with j1 visa for 3 months and this is second time im in the USA with j1 visa for 12 months.I throwed away my first DS form and I just got a new one.Now ,I am going to apply for waive but I have couple of question.Which address do I have to send my all paper?.I am in Virginia now.Other question is I dont know what offical size envelops.because they want us send our papers offical size envelops in it.?does anyone know what offical size ?

You send all the paper to St Louis, MO. The address is in the DS-3035 PDF file generated from the website. I recommend you send it with USPS Express Mail (fastest and cheapest).

The "legal" size is 8.5"x14". You can find the "legal size" envelops anywhere, but I seriously don't know why they want it. All documents they are sending back are letter-sized.

pk_net, I really appreciate you.I hope u remember me.I told u I lost my old DS form.I contacted with my old sponsor and they gave me my sevis record paper as signed.this paper has all my information that DS has .I checked on google and it says legal size envelope is # 10 (8,5* 11) whatever.My papers re almost done.I have couple of more question.What address and - or department name do I have to make money order? And other problem is, they want me to send all my paper legal size envelope and also they want self addressed and stamped 2 envelopes.Now,how do I put 2 envelopes to other same size envelope in with my paper ? does same size 2 envelopes fit together,is it possible same size envelopes one within the other ?

ficke, yes, I remember you.

The letter size is 8.5x11, and the legal size is 8.5x14.

The answers to many of your questions are already in the DS-3035 PDF file.

From Page 3:
U. S. Department of State
J-1 VISA WAIVER RECOMMENDATION APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS

Keep this page for your records
Complete the following two pages of this form and send them, along with the fee
and supporting documentation listed below, to:
U.S. Department of State
Waiver Review Division
P.O. Box 952137
St. Louis, MO 63195-2137

PLEASE DO NOT STAPLE ANY DOCUMENTS
PLEASE AVOID TWO-SIDED DOCUMENTS AND ONLY USE 8 1/2" X 11" PAPER

Supporting documents and fee:
1. Application fee of $215 PER J-1 APPLICANT. Please send a cashier's check or money order in U.S.
currency drawn on a U.S. bank, made payable to THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE. Include your
name, date and place of birth on whatever form of payment you submit. DO NOT SUBMIT MORE
THAN ONE APPLICATION FEE PER PERSON:

2. Any additional pages needed to full respond to the questions in this form;

3. A statement demonstrating why the exchange visitor is eligible to receive a waiver of the two-year
home country requirement of the exchange visitor program. The length of the statement may vary;

4. Copies of all DS-2019 "Exchange Visitor Program Certificate Of Eligibility For Exchange Visitor (J-1)
Status" (formerly IAP-66) forms;

5. Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Representative (G-28 form), if the exchange visitor is
represented by an attorney;

6. Copy of the data page of the exchange visitor's current passport containing name and birth date.

7. Two self-addressed, stamped envelopes.

For the envelopes, you can fold them. For the two self-addressed envelopes, I would recommend using the pre-paid USPS Express Envelopes. They have tracking numbers and they are available in legal size.

Thanks for answering me.The address on this PDF file shows where I sould send my paper,and I showed me that.Thanks for that but at same time,I could not find which address or which department I should make a money order.The only thing they say about where I should make money order to is US Department of State but there is no address or exactly informations about my that problem.Thanks again.I will wait your recommend and other thinhs that u think

On the payment such as money order, you just have to say who it is payable to. Just like cheques, you do not need addresses on it.
So, you just have to write "THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE" for payee. The payment should be sent with the rest of the application.

Department of State wants 2 legal size stamped envelopes.I asked to an officer in Post Office,he showed me legal size envelope.So I will send my all paper within biger size envelope and I will not fold any paper and other 2 legal size envelope.Because Department of State does not say "All paper should be in legal size envelope".Anyway,there is no way my all papers + 2 envelope fit in legal size envelope.They want extra 2 legal size envelopes,they dont say about envelope that all papers in it.I got $ 215 money order from BOA and I will fill my DS 3035 form tomorrow.I will send my all paper for Department of State and my embassy on friday. hopefuly everything will be work out.If there is anybody's suggestion plz let me know.Thanks.

The size of the envelope you are sending doesn't really matter. To fit the other two legal-sized envelopes, I don't really know how you are going to do it. You could get creative... or just fold them.