Does N-445 mean your naturalization is approved?

sam99

Registered Users (C)
I am curious whether n445 means approved or is there a step of checking involved by USCIS during oath? I know there are questions on back of N-445 and what happens when someone says "yes" to one of those question?

I am curious whether n445 means approved or is there a step of checking involved by USCIS during oath? I know there are questions on back of N-445 and what happens when someone says "yes" to one of those question?

Yes, N-445 means that your application has been approved. However, if you answer "Yes" to any of the questions on the back, you'll be expected to produce evidence at the oath ceremony. For example, if you've gotten divorced after your interview, you'll be expected to show your divorce certificate. If you got married, your marriage certificate. There is definitely a step of checking involved. In fact, there have been numerous cases of applicants being pulled from the oath ceremony for various reasons.

Yes, N-445 means that your application has been approved. However, if you answer "Yes" to any of the questions on the back, you'll be expected to produce evidence at the oath ceremony. For example, if you've gotten divorced after your interview, you'll be expected to show your divorce certificate. If you got married, your marriage certificate. There is definitely a step of checking involved. In fact, there have been numerous cases of applicants being pulled from the oath ceremony for various reasons.

I got a speeding ticket ( driving 44 on a 40 zone!!) today just 2 days before oath...:(. I havent had ticket since 1998.. And the worse thing is, I can contest it. But I think if I want to contest my oath will be delayed until the issue is resolved. If I agree to the violation, I will get the insurance hike for 3 years..What a crappy situation I am in. Any advise?

I got a speeding ticket ( driving 44 on a 40 zone!!) today just 2 days before oath...:(. I havent had ticket since 1998.. And the worse thing is, I can contest it. But I think if I want to contest my oath will be delayed until the issue is resolved. If I agree to the violation, I will get the insurance hike for 3 years..What a crappy situation I am in. Any advise?

44 in a 40? Police must be desperate for money.
I wouldn't even bother disclosing such a minor citation on N-445.

Sorry to hear that!

Getting a ticket shortly before the oath is definitely one of the things that every naturalization applicant worries about. My advice is to fight the ticket, even if it delays your oath. 44 mph in a 40 mph zone is rather ludicrous. The cops in your neck of the woods must be extremely bored. If you believe that you can beat the ticket, contest it. If I had to choose between delaying my oath and a 3 year insurance hike, I'd choose the former.

That being said, you should still go to the oath. There's a remote chance that the IO in charge of the oath will instruct applicants not to disclose traffic tickets (this happened at my oath ceremony), and there's a decent chance that you'll be allowed to take the oath, despite the pending ticket. From what I've read on this forum, it's a 50/50 chance of being pulled from the oath.

Or, as Bobsmyth suggested, you can always not disclose the ticket.

44 on a 44 zone? oh man, that's crazy! My friend (who is already naturalized as a US citizen) got a speeding ticket (camera captured driver license plate). It was 47 on a 45. He already paid fine since there are no points for that.

I got a speeding ticket ( driving 44 on a 40 zone!!)

You should be able to easily contest that as allowable speedometer error can be up to 10%. The cops normally allow 10% + 3mph over the posted limit to trigger a violation.

40+10% = 44+3 over = 47 and easily contested on speedometer error.

Also new tires can indicate a slower actual speed on your speedometer due to the slightly increased circumference compared to worn tires.

Were there any other reasons they stopped you?

If not then I would reschedule the Oath. Either that or take the risk Bob suggests although I would opt for the truth at all times as you never know just what comes up on the USCIS computers.

44 in a 40? Police must be desperate for money.
I wouldn't even bother disclosing such a minor citation on N-445.

I agree with Bobsmyth. Don't even bother disclosing this on the N-445. It is considered a minor traffic offense for which there are no documentation requirements, and in the overwhelming majority of cases, IOs ignore minor traffic offenses. In addition, a minor traffic offense is not a bar to receiving U.S. citizenship.

If you feel uneasy about that, I would show up to the oath ceremony without declaring the ticket on your N-445, and when you come up to the IO who verifies your N-445 responses, you can mention that you received a minor speeding ticket and that you are contesting it. Chances are excellent that they will allow you to proceed straight to the oath ceremony.

First, check out your ticket. Even if you were cited for speeding, the ticket
might be possibly be givin under a different section that does not accumulate a point for insurance purpose. In my area, it seems the cop give tickets to
various violation but all under a section called "obedience to traffic control
devices", which has no point. In fact, the cop often tell the people
"I am doing you a favor by issuing you this kind of tickets". Cops may serve
themselves a purpose because people cited for this section ususaly do not bother to contest it and cops justr want money anyway.