Does higher education help?

complexity

Registered Users (C)
Just wondering if having a higher education (Masters, PHD etc.) have any effect on IO's decision on naturalization case. Not sure how they would find out about education after the GC if it isn't mentioned in your application. Thoughts?

Not really asking about chance of approval, but the smoothness or ease of process. Do they consider it as a part of the entire evaluation process?

Just wondering if having a higher education (Masters, PHD etc.) have any effect on IO's decision on naturalization case. Not sure how they would find out about education after the GC if it isn't mentioned in your application. Thoughts?

What? For LC and I140 maybe but not for N400

Thanks all, for the correct, funny, and not so funny responses. :) Just wondering as some folks I spoke with seemed to have a different opinion. This however is not going to buy me anything.... no PhD and no Holiday Inn Express stays for me so far! LOL!

Cheers!

I disagree. It might have an effect on the interview experience. I did not have to show any documents (original, I did send copies with the application) during the interview. I applied on 3-year marriage rule, and my spouse was not with me (although they prefer/require it). I did not submit nor did I have to show any documents for the good faith marriage requirement. The officer told me that he knew that everything is valid and correct.
I believe "education"/professional associations have an effect because my officer knew that I am a student member of the Florida Bar, which conducts its own investigation and good moral character is a requirement for it (I believe that they checked with the Bar). We even talked about law school.
So yes, I believe that education can help you to some degree (the interview is "easier").

So yes, I believe that education can help you to some degree (the interview is "easier").

It helps in teh same way a defendant with higher education is less likely to be convicted or if covicted is less likely to receive longer sentence when all other being equal.

I disagree. It might have an effect on the interview experience. I did not have to show any documents (original, I did send copies with the application) during the interview. I applied on 3-year marriage rule, and my spouse was not with me (although they prefer/require it). I did not submit nor did I have to show any documents for the good faith marriage requirement. The officer told me that he knew that everything is valid and correct.
I believe "education"/professional associations have an effect because my officer knew that I am a student member of the Florida Bar, which conducts its own investigation and good moral character is a requirement for it (I believe that they checked with the Bar). We even talked about law school.

The fact that you're a lawyer probably made a bigger difference than having higher education per se. Somebody with a PhD in marine biology wouldn't necessarily get the same treatment.

The fact that you're a lawyer probably made a bigger difference than having higher education per se. Somebody with a PhD in marine biology wouldn't necessarily get the same treatment.

A PhD with a single criminal offense has more chance to convince teh IO this is just a one time offense than a street bum.

The problem is: how do you let the IO knows you received higher education? Put past universities into
the association/affiliation category?