Documents required for H4 Visa in India Chennai

ginnu

Registered Users (C)
Jaxen!!! Many ask this info if you can make separate thread for H4 in Chennai then they all can read it and no need to post or ask again it many times, if any updates that can be added to that thread.
For Mumbai you can create separate thread as we get the recent updates or experiences
------------

Documents required for H4 Visa in India, Chennai (posted by raj_raj_raj, recent experience)
1. DD ( Rs 4900 , Rs 3675 ) ( write name and PP no in back )
2. Photograph - 2 no (many consulate need only 1 photo to be glued on DS-156
3. Employer comprehensive letter for H1 holder
4. DS-156 (one photo attached) - new one 2 inch by 2 inch photograph
5. I-797 (H1 approval Notice), I-129, LCA (Must) better if certified by lawyer as many consulate ask for certified copies of I-129 and LCA
6. Principal aliens passport copy (36 pages) all the pages including blank pages
7. Bank statement (3 months)
8. Pay stubs (6 months)
9. W2 - statement (last 2 years)** read the below post by Raj and check
http://chennai.usconsulate.gov/wwwhnivdepvisa.html

10 Marriage certificate (submit copy) if ask for original show it
11 Marriage Invitation & Photos (10 nos ) optional, only required for first time H4 after marriage
12 Employer office photos ( 5 nos ) They may ask, they may not ask
13 Employer office direction ( yahoo map direction ) - optional
14 Applicant original passport
15 Rental bills ( 5 months )- optional
16 If male between ages 16-45 also submit form DS-157 ( write you name in native language column 3 )

***Please also read the recent post by raj:
Hi ginnu,
I read your thread on documents reqd for H4 stamping.According to chennai website it states that w2's are required for current year.Your thread (originally posted by raj_raj_raj)states that it requires 2 years.I feel those who are having trouble with 2001 W2 might get affected going through this thread.Can you please modify your statement.

Here is the URL for documents reqd:
http://chennai.usconsulate.gov/wwwhnivdepvisa.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Whom should the Employer comprehensive letter to be addressed?

Does Employer Comprehensive letter needs to be addressed to US Caonsulate Chennai or as "To whom so ever it may concern" wiould work?

and what is the content of the letter should be?

I took letter addressing to American Consulate General, Chennai.

Content as usual stuff.

How are the interviews going on in Chennai for H4.
What type of questions do they ask? Any updates?

Originally posted by ginnu
11 Marriage Invitation & Photos (10 nos ) optional, only required for first time H4 after marriage
WRONG!!! My friend's wife applied for H-4 renewal for self and new H-4 for her 3 month old baby 2 years after marriage/first H-4. They were asked to produce photos of wedding for the second H-4. Last thing to hope from Chennai cousulate is any kind of logic.

Is it a requirement to have the copy of I129 & LCA certified by the lawyer? I have scheduled my interview at Chennai & leaving to India next week. Can I find that requirement on the consulate's site or has someone been asked to submit one?

Documenst checked for My Wife's H4 in vancouver

1) My passport
2) 797 - original
3) marriage cert
4) marriage photos
5) my employer letter

She was out in 10 min

Your wife is canadian?

Is your wife a canadian citizen or Indian? Does that mean that a Indian citizen wife can get H1 stamped at US embassy in Canada?

My wife is an Indian citizen .

Well, anybody can get an h1B stamped at US consulate as long as everything is okie , I guess

Time to get a first time H4 Visa in chennai

Is there someone who knows how long it takes to get a H4 stamped if it's a consular interview ?
Is there anyone out there who has a recent experience on this issue?

Thanks

Hi Vidisha,

I agree that you should talk to your lawyer, first thing Monday. To answer a few of your other questions :

1. For a normal H4 case, it is possible to get this stamping from here. It takes anywhere from 1 month to about 4 months. Nowdays time taken is on the higher side.
2. I-129 is the petition for the H1B visa which your spouse would be having. A copy of this is with the lawyer also, but original is with the H1 holder. LCA is a document in which the employer gets some labor certifications etc. for the employee and this has info of the employee address and salary.

--------------------

Pl. note I am not a legal expert. This is the info to the best of my knowledge.

Need some additional info on H4 stamping...

Hi!!
Had two quick questions regarding h4 stamping.
1. Is it neccessary to annotate H1B spouses name on the dependent spouse's passport when applying for H4 visa?

2. My wife wishes to retain her last name after marriage. Is there any need to submit a affidavit to the consulate ratifying this while applying for H4 visa?

Thanks

sdr22

1) endorsing of spouse name on each others's passport is recimmneded but not compulsory

2) it is okie for your wife to keep her name

All,
The I-797 (Approval notice) that is required for H4 visa stamping for my spouse - is this a copy of the approval notice or is this the original I-797 Approval notice that needs to be submitted to the consulate.

The reason why I'm asking is, I am also planning to get my H1 visa stamped and my spouse is also planning to her H4 visa stamped. If this being the case, how can I provide the original I-797 for both of us.

Please Advice. Let me know other possible options.

Thanks in advance,
Vasan

All,
The I-797 (Approval notice) that is required for H4 visa stamping for my spouse - is this a copy of the approval notice or is this the original I-797 Approval notice that needs to be submitted to the consulate.

The reason why I'm asking is, I am also planning to get my H1 visa stamped and my spouse is also planning to her H4 visa stamped. If this being the case, how can I provide the original I-797 for both of us.

Thanks in advance,
Vasan

Hi bhand11683,

Is your wife already has H4 Visa before? or New H4? if she applied for new H4 visa stamping, how did she go there (vancouver)??? and on what visa she went to vancouver?

Thanks in advance,...

Originally posted by vasan
All,

Thanks in advance,
Vasan

U can submit both the passports together for stamping.

Hello,

I got appointments at chennai consulate for H4 and H1B visas for my fiancé and me on the same day at different times.

She got the appointment on Dec '9th 9:00 - 9:15 A.M
I got the appointment on Dec '9th 9:15 - 9:30 A.M

The reason I took different appointments is I have sent the passport to ST.Louis for H1B Revalidation in case if I get visa stamp here so that I can cancel only my appointment. If I took as a single appointment then I have to cancel both the appointments.

The status of my visa stamp at ST.louis will be known only in the month of NOV.

Now my question is, do i need to carry two sets of documents for each individually? Or is it Ok to carry one set and share the documents inside.

Any suggestions? Please advice.

Thanks
Raj

Give an Attorney certified Copy of your I797, its as good as Original

Just an FYI, check with your lawyer