Documents needed for Naturalization

I received my oath but my wife is not yet. Last Monday we called the USCIS to ask them to schedule my wife with me at the same time they said within seven days will let us know but no reply from them. I’m wondering if we didn’t hear back from them, can my wife go with me in my oath ceremony or it’s not allowed with Covid-19? Thank you for any advise or experience to share.
If she is not scheduled they will not have the documentation for her. If you are just asking if she can go as a spectator, that depends on your FO. Your oath ceremony notice should note whether or not guests may come.

If she is not scheduled they will not have the documentation for her. If you are just asking if she can go as a spectator, that depends on your FO. Your oath ceremony notice should note whether or not guests may come.
Yes. unfortunately they said no guests. But how I can reach or ask the FO?
Or sending fast letter? If so can anyone help us in what format or best way to send? Thank you

Last edited:
Yes. unfortunately they said no guests. But how I can reach or ask the FO?
Or sending fast letter? If so can anyone help us in what format or best way to send? Thank you
If they say no guests then unfortunately that’s it...you can have her wait in the car in case she can come in and ask someone on the day maybe? FOs do not release direct contact numbers.

If they say no guests then unfortunately that’s it...you can have her wait in the car in case she can come in and ask someone on the day maybe? FOs do not release direct contact numbers.
Do you think to send letter is a good idea? if so I should send my information and copy of the note too? You suggestions is appreciated

Should all the green card given in oath cernoney or only the renewed one ? (when a child turned 14 and get the new one so he will have 2 GC)

We are ready for the oath ceremony, my wife and I. what documents needed to take with us with the letter and the Green card?
Do we need to take children’s green cards, our SS cards, passports or anything else? Or just take the same documents we had taken in our interview ( still the same bag) with all the documents? We appreciate any experience or advise. thank you

We did our Oath and finally became a US Citizens. still our son in process when he turned 18 Years old.
I would like to thank everyone here helped in our journey specially Sm1mom, Susie and every one share his experiance.
Thank you for all your help in this journey. i would like to share more since we came in student visa, and we are called to stay here for ministry but it was no way to have residence and we didn't feel from God to apply for any other ways or asylum, so we decied to make our appeal to heaven and ask our God to find the right way. Jesus Christ the savior and redeemer came and a dream and said " agree with my will as after 40 days from now you will have your immiration by God from heaven, He said " i proviided your GC" and 40 days of prayers, fasting and trusting in God. we won the Dv Lottery, then applied and our GC applications rejected for no reasons.then we resubmitted the GC applications again and went well. We got GC stamp in our Passports and then the USCIS called us to to cancel the green crad because the visa wasnt avilable from the state department. finally we recieved our GC, the plastic one. after 5 years of waiting, The Lord helped us to finish the last part in our journey. we will apply for the US passports soon.

speciall thanks to you guys who always were there to answer quetions and suggested many many things. May God bless you all and bless your families . we would not be able to do it without your help. thanks again Sm1smom and Susie and others.

when they received my Citizenship certificate during the ceremony, they asked me to sign it with the new name " i requested the family name change" ! i had to create a signture at the same moment as everything was fast and done in about 10 minutes with Covid-19. I feel this new signture is something strange for me but now it is in my Citizenship certificate.
1- I'm wondering if i can go back to my old signture or it is not working?
2- what signture resource or recored the govrnment or officially will me matching, in voting or anything important?
3- should DL and SSN updated before i submitt the DS-11 for the forst time US passport?
I appreciate thought and advise. thank you.

Last edited:
Regarding question #3: the order is up to you. In my opinion, DMV is the lowest priority. I've applied first for a U.S. passport & passport card.

Updating the SSA is currently somewhat tricky, as their offices are closed, and in order to update your citizenship status, they ask you to send an original document that proves citizenship (U.S. passport of naturalization certificate). From this and other forum members, it seems that SSA sometimes loses those documents. I'll wait until SSA reopens and update my status in person, as there's no rush with that, too.

As long as SSA is not updated, you might not be able to register online to vote. That's also not a problem, as you can register to vote in person at your county's recorder's office, town clerk's office, etc. with your U.S. passport or naturalization certificate.

Congratulations on becoming a U.S. citizen!

At my oath ceremony (pre Covid) you could put in your US passport application right afterwards - before leaving the building - you definitely don’t have to wait to do anything else first. It is also not true about SSN needing to change first for voter registration. There was voter registration outside my ceremony as well for the new citizens. I registered to vote online on the afternoon of my ceremony, and applied for a passprt the same day. We were actually told to wait a few weeks before going to SSA office. covid happened while I was waiting so I still haven’t gone in - but my voter registration was successful and I voted.

Last edited:
Regarding question #3: the order is up to you. In my opinion, DMV is the lowest priority. I've applied first for a U.S. passport & passport card.

Updating the SSA is currently somewhat tricky, as their offices are closed, and in order to update your citizenship status, they ask you to send an original document that proves citizenship (U.S. passport of naturalization certificate). From this and other forum members, it seems that SSA sometimes loses those documents. I'll wait until SSA reopens and update my status in person, as there's no rush with that, too.

As long as SSA is not updated, you might not be able to register online to vote. That's also not a problem, as you can register to vote in person at your county's recorder's office, town clerk's office, etc. with your U.S. passport or naturalization certificate.

Congratulations on becoming a U.S. citizen!
Thank you so much. I appreciate your ideas.

At my oath ceremony (pre Covid) you could put in your US passport application right afterwards - before leaving the building - you definitely don’t have to wait to do anything else first. It is also not true about SSN needing to change first. I registered to vote online on the afternoon of my ceremony, and applied for a passprt the same day. We were actually told to wait a few weeks before going to SSA office. covid happened whole I was waiting so I still haven’t gone in - but my voter registration was successful and I voted.
our oath was too fast and they didn’t like to do any of these because of covid-19. Just we repeated the oath after couple of minutes instructions and let us go right a way and let the net 10 people in for the same thing. Only 10 persons were allowed.
I will apply the passport this week.
Any thoughts about question 1 and 2? Signature confusion I did? Thanks

Last edited:
our oath was too fast and they didn’t like to do any of these because of covid-19. Just we repeated the oath after couple of minutes instructions and let us go right a way and let the net 10 people in for the same thing. Only 10 persons were allowed.
I will apply the passport this week.
Any thoughts about question 1 and 2? Signature confusion I did? Thanks
Yes I understand, I explained those options as a way to show you that you don’t need to do SSN or anything else first before applying for a passport and registering to vote.

Hello Sm1smom, Susie and friends,
I need your help/opinion; my son applied his own N-400 since he turned 18 years old before our oath was done. They sent him today the interview letter for around middle of February.
He will change his name to be like our family name. He needs the new name sooner for his high school graduation certificate and collage application. Our district court might be too late to schedule the oath ceremony in March or April 2021. We don’t know what we have to do. Any ideas or suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Thanks a lot

Last edited:
You can initiate a name change directly through your district court, the name change doesn’t have to be tied to the naturalization process. Your son will need to present the name change documents from the court when he goes for his naturalization interview. The approved documents will be used in issuing his naturalization certificate upon a successful completion of the naturalization process.