Documents needed for Naturalization

On the N-659 Interview document check list, what is the difference between 3.B: current marriage certificate and 3.E: proof of marital union ? thanks.

Proof of Child Support

Can you please help.

IO asked for missing info: Proof of child support.

The Divorce decree dose not say any thing about child support.
Divorced in India. My kid is a US citizen, my kid is living with my ex wife.
Mt ex is not willing to help me in any way.

To prove for good moral character.

can any one suggest what options i have.

Thanks

Yemi:

Yes CBP would be able to check your entry and exit record, and FBI would be able to tell your criminal record. But why do you wanna check all these? Do you believe that you have any criminal record? If so then you can do all this, including going to Police headquarter in your area (and wherever you have resided) to have good moral character certificate but you will need to pay a fees. They would take your fingerprint and would be able to give your record within 10 days.

As for exit and entry record then just provide this information to the best of your knowledge on your citizenship application. USCIS would have all the info in their system anyway. But if you have made extensive trips outside the US then you might like to have all the details beforehand, and then contacting CBP is worth trying.

What you should do is- one side you MUST file Form I-90 immediately to correct whatever mistake is made on your green card if there is indeed a mistake. And on the other hand, if you are eligible for filing the application for naturalization then you MUST file the application. It would take at least 4-5 months to have an interview in most cases. Meanwhile you would get your corrected green card; otherwise in many cases in similar situation it's seen that adjudication officers hold their the citizenship application itself or the decision on naturalization application even if they might conduct an interview on citizenship application. So it's in your best interest to have the mistake corrected on your green card especially when you still have time to do so. Nothing can make N-400 faster even if you are in the military as it's most often said that the naturalization applications for military people process quickly but it's actually other way around. N-400 would process on a regular basis.

Good luck....

Last edited by a moderator:
Uttaramu:

You must have mentioned that you have a child and that the child is not with you which is why adjudication officer is asking you to provide documentation relating to providing support to your child. It doesn't matter where you got divorced, or whether or not your child is a US Citizen, or that who has the custody of your child, or whether or not divorce decree states about providing child support BECAUSE the fact is- you do have a child which means you must need to provide for the child in order to prove to USCIS about your moral character. By legal point of view, you might not need to provide any child support as per the divorce decree or by court, but by moral point of view- you are obligated to provide support to your child regardless of where child is living and whoever the child is living with. And when it comes to immigration matter relating to naturalization then USCIS does want to see applicants to have a good moral character. So if someone has a child but doesn't support the child financially then USCIS see this situation as lacking a good moral character....a very important criteria to become a naturalized citizen which most often people do ignore or don't pay attention to it.

I do not know if your ex can do anything about it because normally USCIS wants to proofs as to how you have supported your child which could be sending/providing money thru checks, wire-transfer, depositing in bank account of your wife...something like that. So if you have not done like this then you will be unable to prove that you did indeed provide financial support to your child if you did support your child. If you have nothing to prove or if you have never supported then I don't know how you could overcome with this important criteria except get a notarized affidavit from you ex wherein she has to state that you are giving her money in cash all this time to support your child. And you would also need a notarized affidavit wherein you need to mention that you have been providing cash financial help to your ex to support your child which is why you don't have any proof other than her sworn statements that she has provided on her affidavit. If you both are living in different state/country then it would be very hard to get convinced by the officer. I'm not saying that you should lie but I'm giving you the options that you have to overcome this problem.

Just wondering why you have not been supporting your child if child is indeed yours? It doesn't matter who has custody or what divorce decree says about child support or anything else because if you make a baby then it's your responsibility and obligations to provide for the child. Rather than giving all kinds of excuses, I think one should look into inside of themselves to see how right they are. I don't want to say you have been wrong or right but I think in the deep down you should know what is right. If it's not for the citizenship application, I'm sure you would not have bothered to care about this topic. Anyway, its not my business nor who I'm to judge you.

Good luck....

If one receives ASC appointment and was lucky to get it done earlier than scheduled date, does this speed up the process or does not even matter ?

No. One gets ASC appointment within a month of filing while application still takes 3-5 months to process. Background checks are normally done within 48 hours and by electronically, while application still take time to process.

On the N-659 Interview document check list, what is the difference between 3.B: current marriage certificate and 3.E: proof of marital union ? thanks.

A marriage certificate is the proof that you get from govt. about your marriage. While proofs of marital union are joint bill together, jointly filed income tax returns, joint bank accounts, joint lease, pictures together to anywhere or with other people, anything and everything in joint names could be considered as proofs of a marital union, and if you have children then more better.

please clarify

Below are some postings which provide a comprehensive list about documents/preparation for naturalization interview.

If anyone sees/knows about any other document, with or without their experience...even from hearsay, let me know by posting on this thread so that I could include that in my list...so long it would seem justifiable.

Good luck in your naturalization journey....[/QUOT

Regarding the list of documents needed posted below, especially additional documentation along with IRS transcripts. Should I include every single bill in joint name (filing after 3+ years of marriage) for the last 3+ years (we were married 6 years ago) or should I just send the last one, or the first and the last one or several last ones etc. If I include every single bill, bank statement, lease, dead etc. my envelope will be 5 inches high. Also, we moved 2 years ago and switched to paperless banking but did not change the mailing address with our bank. We do have a lease and bills etc. for the new address but banking still has the old address. I jusr changed it now but am otherwise ready to mail the application out. I have a sea of evidence just dont want to confuse them with the old address and state still on banking and our checks we continue to use.
Not clear what exactly to send along with N-400 application and what to bring to the interview. Looks like everything you send with your application you bring to the interview and then some. Please clarify.
Thank you.

please advise, anyone?

Below are some postings which provide a comprehensive list about documents/preparation for naturalization interview.

If anyone sees/knows about any other document, with or without their experience...even from hearsay, let me know by posting on this thread so that I could include that in my list...so long it would seem justifiable.

Good luck in your naturalization journey....[/QUOT

Regarding the list of documents needed posted below, especially additional documentation along with IRS transcripts. Should I include every single bill in joint name (filing after 3+ years of marriage) for the last 3+ years (we were married 6 years ago) or should I just send the last one, or the first and the last one or several last ones etc. If I include every single bill, bank statement, lease, dead etc. my envelope will be 5 inches high. Also, we moved 2 years ago and switched to paperless banking but did not change the mailing address with our bank. We do have a lease and bills etc. for the new address but banking still has the old address. I jusr changed it now but am otherwise ready to mail the application out. I have a sea of evidence just dont want to confuse them with the old address and state still on banking and our checks we continue to use.
Not clear what exactly to send along with N-400 application and what to bring to the interview. Looks like everything you send with your application you bring to the interview and then some. Please clarify.
Thank you.

Anyone has any insight on this? Also, if the child is 21 is the proof of support still needed?
Thank you!

Did you get it resolved?

Ok, now I have a question about bearing arms which I cannot do because of my faith. I brought this up in another thread and I am not sure what to think now. My faith is not of organized religion so there is no congregation. We all practice at home. How do I get a document saying I cannot bear arms? If I cannot file for citizenship because of this, I understand.

My wife is in the same situation. Did you ever get it resolved? If so could you let us know how?

Thank you,

speeding, community service, naturalization

Hello Forum. First off let me thank contributiors and especially JohnyCash for all the answers they provide, as the whole naturalization process is sometimes very difficult to navigate through. I also would like to ask for clarification of one issue, although the topic of speeding tickets has been beaten up to death. Here is my situation: I got a speeding ticket 2.5 yrs ago. Court reduced that ticket to 79/55 because it was my only ticket, but ordered me to do 20 hours of community service and pay $200 fine. I did 20 hrs and paid fine. Of course I will disclose this ticket in my N-400 (#16 Have you ever been arrested.....), but another question that I have is how to answer #20 - Have you ever received a suspended sentence, been placed on probation or been paroled? My understanding that I may answer "No"in all fairness as my speeding was traffic vioaltion and not criminal one. Any other suggestions? I also would like to ask if JohnyCash could provide his opinion. Thank you and good luck.

Uttaramu:

You must have mentioned that you have a child and that the child is not with you which is why adjudication officer is asking you to provide documentation relating to providing support to your child. It doesn't matter where you got divorced, or whether or not your child is a US Citizen, or that who has the custody of your child, or whether or not divorce decree states about providing child support BECAUSE the fact is- you do have a child which means you must need to provide for the child in order to prove to USCIS about your moral character. By legal point of view, you might not need to provide any child support as per the divorce decree or by court, but by moral point of view- you are obligated to provide support to your child regardless of where child is living and whoever the child is living with. And when it comes to immigration matter relating to naturalization then USCIS does want to see applicants to have a good moral character. So if someone has a child but doesn't support the child financially then USCIS see this situation as lacking a good moral character....a very important criteria to become a naturalized citizen which most often people do ignore or don't pay attention to it.

I do not know if your ex can do anything about it because normally USCIS wants to proofs as to how you have supported your child which could be sending/providing money thru checks, wire-transfer, depositing in bank account of your wife...something like that. So if you have not done like this then you will be unable to prove that you did indeed provide financial support to your child if you did support your child. If you have nothing to prove or if you have never supported then I don't know how you could overcome with this important criteria except get a notarized affidavit from you ex wherein she has to state that you are giving her money in cash all this time to support your child. And you would also need a notarized affidavit wherein you need to mention that you have been providing cash financial help to your ex to support your child which is why you don't have any proof other than her sworn statements that she has provided on her affidavit. If you both are living in different state/country then it would be very hard to get convinced by the officer. I'm not saying that you should lie but I'm giving you the options that you have to overcome this problem.

Just wondering why you have not been supporting your child if child is indeed yours? It doesn't matter who has custody or what divorce decree says about child support or anything else because if you make a baby then it's your responsibility and obligations to provide for the child. Rather than giving all kinds of excuses, I think one should look into inside of themselves to see how right they are. I don't want to say you have been wrong or right but I think in the deep down you should know what is right. If it's not for the citizenship application, I'm sure you would not have bothered to care about this topic. Anyway, its not my business nor who I'm to judge you.

Good luck....

Johnny, thank you for the advice, many compounding reasons, my ex says she wants to come back to me after the divorce, my mother in law stops her. I still love both my ex and my baby and still hope we will get back some day. I do support my baby a lot. Unfortunately there is only one way communication, from my side only now.
My ex refuses to communicate; I do send some money to mom to support my daughter, which she is doing.
I did deposit money into her account, but after I applying for Naturalization, (I agree it was my mistake, I should have been proactive and should have done it my self rather than depending on my mom) I did make sure through out the period of divorce , both my child and my ex were on my health insurance.

Thanks

During naturalization interview, the validity of passport means nothing because USCIS checks passport (if they would like to) just to see applicant's travel outside the country. That is. That means, even if someone has a passport that is expired, yet still it doesn't matter to them. They NEVER check and care the validity of the passport. Period.

So do we have to give up the passport? We have to renounce allegiance to other countries, so implies that we might have to relinquish the passport..

So do we have to give up the passport? We have to renounce allegiance to other countries, so implies that we might have to relinquish the passport..

You don't give up your passport to the USCIS. It's the property of the country that issued it. they may ask you to turn it over to them depending on their laws, but you don't give it to USCIS.

Case transferred to NBC

I had a name misprint on my new 10yr GC and sent it to the location that issued it in November2012. I called to trace the current status and was told that my case is being handled by NBC. Is this normally the case or should I be worried that I may not get my card back ?
What does NBC do ?

Mine is Employment based GC and completed 5 yrs 2 yrs back. Now planning to apply for N400 and few questions

From what i have read
1) Fill N400 application
2) Copy of GC front and back
3) Fees check
4) 2 Photos
Above to be sent with application

--> Do I have to send tax transcripts along with application?
--> Have couple of speeding tickets over he period but have no recollection of dates and details. Should i send the details along with application? Do I report or not necessary as they are not related to DUI and they are less than 500

--> How to obtain tax transcripts? I had tax amendment done for past 5 years to include foreign interest income. Does the IRS transcripts will be sufficient or I need to provide explanation along with application.

N-400-Married Filing Separate

Need help with this- I will be going for my N-400 interview in Atlanta in April. Wife decided to file Married filing separate after my several objections because she felt we can get more refunds back. Can I run into problem with the IO during my interview. I filed the 3yr rule and the past 3 yrs, we have filed jointly until this 2012.
Any suggestion or advise ?

I am posting this information here because the information I found I was very ambiguous.

Before I got the letter with date and location of my interview I got a yellow letter asking me to bring my passport as well as a state issued ID. That was a major source of concern because my passport was lost during hurricane Sandy and I had traveled abroad twice in the eight years I had been living in the US. I did attach a sheet to my N400 application explaining I no longer had a passport so I was estimating the dates of both trips (they were not long trips). I called my embassy about a replacement but they wanted me to pay about 200 dollars to get a new one.

When I went for the interview the officer asked for the passport and I explained what had happened and she just asked me if I had traveled abroad in the past 5 years which I did and if I had been to either Canada or Mexico. Then that was it. Not having a passport was not much of an issue.

Hello everyone,

I have filed my N400 and I will be taking a short international trip before my interview date. Does anybody know, when at the interview, should I just mention the trip and make a correction of my N400 on the spot? Would it cause any delays?

Thanks.

Naturalization in Process & GC about to Expire!!

Hi Everyone!

I sent my N-400 in May. and I have my Biometrics appointment in 2 weeks.

BUT!!!! MY green Card expires in September of this year. I am afraid i wont be scheduled for my interview by then.

What will happen if I show up to my Naturalization interview with an expired Green Card???

Please Help!

star:confused: