Do you require "sponsorphip" with TN?

pickle

Registered Users (C)
I've uploaded my resume on several websites. Some asked "Do you require sponsorship to work in the US?" I require a TN visa, so I need a job offer. But in this case, do I check "yes", I require "sponsorship"? TN is much less complicated than H1B...

I rather check "no" because I am pretty positive my resume is going to end up in a cyber black hole :p if I say I need sponsorship! So do I?

pickle said:
I've uploaded my resume on several websites. Some asked "Do you require sponsorship to work in the US?" I require a TN visa, so I need a job offer. But in this case, do I check "yes", I require "sponsorship"? TN is much less complicated than H1B...

I rather check "no" because I am pretty positive my resume is going to end up in a cyber black hole :p if I say I need sponsorship! So do I?

well you need a job offer and a sponsorship also! been there don that!

gunt said:
say 'no' for sponsorship requirement. your intutions are correct.

But lying is not good ... How can I spin it if they confront me on that? Is "I didn't think TN required sponsorsphip in the same way H1b does" sound good enough?

pickle said:
But lying is not good ... How can I spin it if they confront me on that?

Just tell them that they don't need to file anything with immigration; they just need to give you an offer letter in a particular format.

pickle said:
I require a TN visa, so I need a job offer
Change your tune a little bit. You don't need a TN Visa, you need TN status.

Also a job offer is not sponsorship, its just a job offer.

Any company not willing to sign a simple offer letter with the basic TN requirements is not a company you want to work for anyway.
Say "No" to sponsorship, which you do not need, you need a job offer for up to one year duration.

I said no to sponsorship and just put in the resume at the bottom:

(Will need TN Visa status to work in the U.S.)

And it worked! I'm in the U.S. working. :D

I would select NO, and explain that you are eligeble to work in the U.S. under the terms of the North American Free Trade Agreement. Be prepared to give a very quick overview of what a TN is. Explain how the TN differs from H1B from their perspective. ie only need a NAFTA compliant offer letter and that you, not them, are responsible for the application and fee which is only $56.

It has been my experience that most headhunters are familiar with TN's, but most businesses are not. Be confident when you speak about the TN (be prepared to answer questions and refer them to credible resources of information).

It may seem like an uphill battle, but I am living proof that it is possible. I am on my 3rd TN and will be applying for my 4th very soon.

Good Luck,

Al

I applied for a job in the States and I have been answered this: "Do you now, or will you at any time in the future require sponsorship to work in the US?"

I am Italian. I live in Italy right now and I have lived in the States for one half an year.

What would be best to answer?

I would select NO, and explain that you are eligeble to work in the U.S. under the terms of the North American Free Trade Agreement. Be prepared to give a very quick overview of what a TN is. Explain how the TN differs from H1B from their perspective. ie only need a NAFTA compliant offer letter and that you, not them, are responsible for the application and fee which is only $56.

It has been my experience that most headhunters are familiar with TN's, but most businesses are not. Be confident when you speak about the TN (be prepared to answer questions and refer them to credible resources of information).

It may seem like an uphill battle, but I am living proof that it is possible. I am on my 3rd TN and will be applying for my 4th very soon.

Good Luck,

Al

Hi, trying to reuse this post.
What if I'm current TN visa holder working with employer A but looking for a new job opportunity.
Usually they ask 2 questions:

1. Are you legally authorized to work in the US?

I assume I'm legally authorized but linked to my current employer, so should I answer No for this?

2. Will you require sponsorship now or in the future for a US Visa?

Should I answer No, since the only thing I need is an offer letter?

When you say "tehey" its looks like you are talking about job-search engines. Answering 1. "no" and 2. "yes", usually gets you kicked out.

So, the answers are:
1. "yes (since I currently work in US legally, I obviously am),
2. "No, a simple letter is all that is required, like this from my current employer"