Do they deny GC application if country conditions changed?

algorithm

Registered Users (C)
Do they usually deny asylee GC application if country conditions changed?

Lets say the country conditions changed 2 months after filing GC application and the application is still pending. The country conditions were the same when the application was filed. Will they deny the application?

Technically it is possible but I have never heard of anyone being denied adjustment because of changed country conditions, unless you have bones in your closet (felonies)

Technically it is possible but I have never heard of anyone being denied adjustment because of changed country conditions, unless you have bones in your closet (felonies)

Thanks jojos. your signature show you had an interview for GC application. Was your GC based on asylum? I though they don't interview asylee GC applicants?

At the time of adjustment of status

It is possible that your GC be denied and to answer to your question in the time of adjustment and approval is the time USCIS goes by( at the time of Interview for adjustment) not filling date.

This subject is a little bit confusing because a lot of asylees who filed for GC application before 2005 waited for years to get GC because of the visa limit. It won't make sense if they deny the application after years of waiting because they were eligible and they met the refugee requirements when they applied. The delay of the decision is not the applicant's fault.

BigJoe5, any idea????

It is possible that your GC be denied and to answer to your question in the time of adjustment and approval is the time USCIS goes by( at the time of Interview for adjustment) not filling date.

This subject is a little bit confusing because a lot of asylees who filed for GC application before 2005 waited for years to get GC because of the visa limit. It won't make sense if they deny the application after years of waiting because they were eligible and they met the refugee requirements when they applied. The delay of the decision is not the applicant's fault.

BigJoe5, any idea????

The law says that you have to be a "refugee" on the date they make a decision on your case. The filing date is not relevant. So if conditions have changed and you are no longer a refugee, they can deny your case. However, I will tell you that they have not enforced this provision in the past 20 years. They can enforce it any time they want to but this appears unlikely.

Good luck.

Is Egypt the country in question?

This very ancient newspaper article should be of interest to you:

Miami Herald, The (FL) - Wednesday, September 19, 1990
Author: DAVID HANCOCK Herald Staff Writer

Thousands of Nicaraguans who received political asylum in the past two years could have their approvals overturned as U.S. immigration policy shifts to reflect the major political changes in Eastern Europe and Latin America.

In a memo sent to immigration districts across the nation, Deputy Immigration Commissioner Ricardo Inzunza instructed the directors to review -- and possibly revoke -- all recent asylum approvals granted to applicants from Nicaragua, Panama, Hungary, Poland and other countries "where there have been significant changes in the nature of the government or policies leading to the persecution of citizens."

The review of already granted asylum cases is an unprecedented move by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service. The agency has always had the right to review the cases of people granted asylum , but INS spokesman Duke Austin said this is the first time since asylum procedures were implemented in 1980 that the government has seriously considered revoking asylum after it was granted.

The reason?

Sweeping changes in Eastern Europe, the U.S. invasion of Panama last December and the February election defeat of the Sandinistas in Nicaragua have forced INS to reconsider those asylum cases, which are based on applicants proving that they would be politically persecuted if they returned to their country.

The modified procedure is the latest setback for the 150,000 Nicaraguan exiles in South Florida, whose reception from Washington has turned chilly in recent years.

Nationwide, more than 8,000 Nicaraguans granted asylum in the past two years could lose that status. The memo also is the latest of many setbacks for more than 40,000 Nicaraguans who are pursuing increasingly unsuccessful asylum claims.

"It's ridiculous," said attorney Lilliana Torreh- Bayouth. "INS is already understaffed and underfunded. It doesn't have the manpower to handle the cases it has. And now, as if they didn't have anything else to do, they're going to take the cases they've already handled and start over."

However, Joel Stewart, a recent president of the South Florida chapter of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, said he didn't think the review of asylum cases was "inappropriate."

" Asylum is based on a fear of persecution if they're returned. If the fear is removed, why shouldn't they return?" Stewart said.

Austin said the additional review by local INS district directors is not a prelude to mass deportations of Nicaraguans, as has been feared by Nicaraguan exile leaders who have besieged INS with telephone calls.

However, long-term prospects are discouraging for Nicaraguans denied asylum . Their annual work permits will expire, and if arrested, the Nicaraguans will pass directly into INS custody for deportation.

Currently, foreign nationals granted political asylum must wait a year before applying to receive their "green cards," which grant permanent legal residency. Each year, INS can only grant permanent residency to 5,000 people with asylum , so there is a two-year backlog of successful asylum applicants waiting for permanent residency.

In his memo, Inzunza told district directors to automatically approve permanent residency requests by Nicaraguans who were interviewed for legal residency before April 25, 1990 -- the date Violeta Chamorro succeeded Sandinista leader Daniel Ortega as president of Nicaragua.

The newest immigration announcement could be bad news for Hernaldo Roman, a Nicaraguan computer programmer who was granted political asylum in March 1988. However, he waited until this year to apply for a green card, and his legal residency interview is not until November. Roman said he had dropped efforts to gain legal residency in Canada after receiving political asylum here in 1988.

"It seems unfair," Roman said. "I'm definitely discouraged."
Edition: FINAL
Section: FRONT
Page: 1A
Index Terms: ALTERNATIVE REFUGEE NICARAGUA PANAMA
Record Number: 9003030057
Copyright (c) 1990 The Miami Herald

Thank you thankful for your response.

My I-485 has been pending since January and there is no election yet in Egypt? The situation there is still messed up.

The processing time for I-485 is 4 months. I am almost close to the end of the processing time.

Do you think they will put my case on hold until they see the results of the election in Egypt?

One more question.

What about the lybian asylees who already applied for I-485. Will the USCIS put their case on hold until the uprising ends or until Ghadafi goes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Again since 1990 they have NOT put applications on hold because of changed country conditions. While I cannot predict the future it would be very surprising if they did this now to Egyptians. Stop worrying and enjoy life.

PR through Asylum

Hey Thankful,
If I understand you correctly, if you get asylum it is possible for USCIS to cancel it if country conditions changed but that it is not probable. What is the case if you already have PR that yo gained through asylum and the country conditions were to change?

yes, i am interested to know the answer to this questions too.

Hey Thankful,
If I understand you correctly, if you get asylum it is possible for USCIS to cancel it if country conditions changed but that it is not probable. What is the case if you already have PR that yo gained through asylum and the country conditions were to change?

Thankful, can you please share your thoughts on this question? Thanks.

Hey Thankful,

Didn't thankful stop posting due to a conflict of interest with his new job?

Anyway, once you become an LPR, you have adjusted status, so I see no reason for CIS to revoke that due to a change in country conditions because they will not even be under consideration (unless one goes to one's COP and they try to penalise one for that reason, which RARELY happens if one has a good reason for the trip(s)).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankful, can you please share your thoughts on this question? Thanks.

Yes that is correct. They have the authority to terminate asylum (before you become a LPR) if there is a positive country condition change. After your have become a LPR they do not have that authority. But they still have the general authority to revoke your green card if the asylum application was fraudulent.