• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Do I need to register my Lawful PR status at the first entry to US ?

andrewned

Registered Users (C)
I am Canadian citizen who have just received immigrant visa through DV Lottery program. I have 6 month to enter US and register my PR status.
Long time ago I have planned vacation in Florida that is coming in about a month time.
Do I need to register my Permanent Resident status at the first entry to US in case if immigrant visa is already my passport or I can do it later when I'm actually going to move to US?

Thank you..

No, you dont need to register anything.

What you should do aprox. one week after your arrival is going to the Social Security Office to apply for a SSN. If you plan to stay outside for longer than a year you need a reentry permit, but I think for a Canadian it is not neccessary because you can easily cross the broder.

when you cross a border and you get an inspection, an immigration officer will take your fingerprint, a picture, and will do all the necessary processing. That will be your "registration". Make sure your point of entry is manned.

If you are between the ages of 18 and 26, you will also need to register with Selective Service.

I am Canadian citizen who have just received immigrant visa through DV Lottery program. I have 6 month to enter US and register my PR status. Long time ago I have planned vacation in Florida that is coming in about a month time.

Be careful. If your trip to the US is only temporary they may not let you in.

There is no such thing as "registering PR status"; if you enter with an immigrant visa you must intend to stay.

when you cross a border and you get an inspection, an immigration officer will take your fingerprint, a picture, and will do all the necessary processing. That will be your "registration". Make sure your point of entry is manned.

If you are between the ages of 18 and 26, you will also need to register with Selective Service.

I am confused. I just had my first entry in Chicago recently. They only took my fingerprint and signature, but not picture. Does that mean my entry is incomplete?

I am confused. I just had my first entry in Chicago recently. They only took my fingerprint and signature, but not picture. Does that mean my entry is incomplete?

No need to worry. They didn't take mine either. I saw that the photo I submitted to the embassy was attached to Form OF-155A. It must have been in the sealed yellow envelope.

No need to worry. They didn't take mine either. I saw that the photo I submitted to the embassy was attached to Form OF-155A. It must have been in the sealed yellow envelope.

Thanks! Bahadur. I was a bit worry when I read the post earlier. I feel much better now. Thanks.:)

" Be careful. If your trip to the US is only temporary they may not let you in."

That is a bit confusing.
1. How can my "temporarily" intention can be discovered at the first entry ?

2. Furthermore PR should have right to enter and leave US as many time as necessary as I haven't seen any limitation on number of travels. Just limit length of trips and keep enough ties in US.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody help me!!!SSN & GC not received yet!!!!!

I am a dv 2007 winner from nepal and entered USA in 16 Nov and applied for the SSN in 23 of Nov but i am not getting it till now. No Welcome Letter received yet.

please advice me where i have to contact???

No, you dont need to register anything.

What you should do aprox. one week after your arrival is going to the Social Security Office to apply for a SSN. If you plan to stay outside for longer than a year you need a reentry permit, but I think for a Canadian it is not neccessary because you can easily cross the broder.