Do I have to change TN visa status after leaving job in the US?

Tom French

I left a job after a few months (didn't like it, felt scummy), and now I'm back in Canada doing some contract work. Do I have to change my TN status anywhere? I've looked online and haven't been able to find anything.

If I do get another job offer from a US employer this year I know I'll have to re-apply for the TN status though I'm not sure if I have to "cancel" the current status I have which expires in 2020.

"Status" only exists when you are in the US; since you are not in the US, there is no "status" to worry about.

Nothing to worry about. I was in the same scenario before.

But the next time i visited US after i came back to Canada for good, the officer asked me about me TN visa status.
I told him things didn't work out and he cancelled my TN and stamped "Cancelled without Prejudice".

as mentioned above, you only have "status" when you are in the US. If you are in the US and want to confirm you current status, you can check DHS website.
https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home
you just need your name, date of birth, passport number and country of issue.
you can also find travel history for the last 5 years.
i understand all air travel and land POE boarder crossing between Canada and US are recorded. All air travel in and out of US is recorded.
i had land travel to Mexico missing (into Mexico), but they recorded my land POE entry back into US.

I understood when entering into Canada you could hand your I-94 card to the Canada Customs Officer and tell them to give to US Customs if you have quit your job and no longer want TN status.
In your situation, it is too late to hand it in. You can confirm your last entry into Canada is recorded in the DHS system using website above.

Amber is correct. The way you categorically prove that you left US is by handing back the I-94 in a no longer valid status is by handing it to the Cdn officer when entering Canada. Now you will have to mail it in. Relying on airline records is not quite good enough. And that does not take care of making sure that your TN is cancelled.
Note that this does not apply to one who changes or renews status; the old I-94s do not need to be handed in becaue you have a new I-94 which supersedes the old ones. Only those leaving US 'for good' need remit the I-94.