do I become a US citizen or a US national after N-400 process???

Sandra500

I am a little confused about something here... after I succesfully completed my N-400 process and been approved and take oath, do I become a US citizen or a US national? Or are the two the same thing?

I was just looking at my grandchild's US passport(born here) His passport has a line that say "Nationality: United States of America" I mean, are there US passports that says something else under the "Nationaly:" line?

Thanks for helping me clear this up.... :D

I am a little confused about something here... after I succesfully completed my N-400 process and been approved and take oath, do I become a US citizen or a US national? Or are the two the same thing?

I was just looking at my grandchild's US passport(born here) His passport has a line that say "Nationality: United States of America" I mean, are there US passports that says something else under the "Nationaly:" line?

You can call it US National or US Citizen whatever you like. You will be called both after you take the oath.

You'll be given a naturalization certificate at the oath which will state US citizen and be proof of your US citizenship status. With this certificate, you can then apply for a passport if you intend to travel outside the US.

You become a US national if you refuse to take the Oath. Only after taking the Oath you become citizen. This is this simple,and no.it's not the same thing.

I love the hair splitting that goes on, on this forum, are you a human, a person or a man/woman, you can decide, after oath of allegiance your citizenship will be American(USA) and your nationality will also be American(USA) claiming otherwise may jeopardize your US status.

You become a US national if you refuse to take the Oath. Only after taking the Oath you become citizen. This is this simple,and no.it's not the same thing.

An applicant who refuses to take the oath doesn't become a US national. That applicant is considered to have abandoned his application and falls back to his most recent immigrant status. 8 CFR 1401 and 8 CFR 1408 goes into detail on what a US national is; someone who owes permanent allegiance to the US but is not a US citizen.

Correct. I believe there is also a provision for them to upgrade to US citizenship once they move to the mainland and live for a year.

As far as I know, the only people who are US Nationals but not US Citizens are people from American Samoa and Swains Island.