Divorce with principal asylee AFTER GC

opinion

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys, need your opinion on that kind of case:
principal asylee decide to file for divorce with my friend who is derivative asylee BOTH GOT THEIR GC already. My friend ask me those questions but I'm not sure:
1) what will be her status,
2) if she will be able to get a US Cznshp
3) is she loosing any privilages??
Will be glad for any input.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would depend on a few variables. How old was the marriage when the principal asylee applied for asylum? Was the spouse already in the US when the principal asylee applied? How long between the approval of their GC's and filing of the divorce?

Does anyone know if it is going to affect citizenship interview in any way?

marriage was approximately 2 years old when principle asylee applied for asylum. the spouse was already in the US. It was 2 years between approval of the GC and filing of divorce.

There is nothing to worry about. Once you have got your greencard you are as good as a principal. You are eligible all the benefits that a principal is elligible.

I don't think it should be an issue. If the intervals are too short, there is always a possibility that USCIS may accuse one, or both, parties of committing fraud to derive an immigration benefit. In this case, it does not apply.

marriage was approximately 2 years old when principle asylee applied for asylum. the spouse was already in the US. It was 2 years between approval of the GC and filing of divorce.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much for your input guys!!!

There is no evidence of fraud of marriage.

I was thinking they would say since now you are divorced you can go back to your country since you were not the one who was prosecuted.

My friend has a similar case where the person was divorce and married to a new person before even getting the green card. Can the person still file for green card as asylee ?