Divorce after citizenship

zack1978

Registered Users (C)
Here is the situation

I got my Us citizenship couple of months ago, after filing based on marriage to US citizen.

Things didn't work out btw me and my wife and she filed for divorce, she convinced me to do the uncontested divorce caz it'll save us a lot of money and i agreed.

The thing with the uncontested divorce is that you have to be separted for at least 2 years before you do that, so we kinda lied about it on the paperwork caz we haven't been seperated for two years.

I'm kinda worried about it caz during the interview that i did for USC we were still together and i told the Immigartion officer about it

anyone with a similar experinec

I 'm kinda nervous caz i think i should never agreed to the uncontested divorce and should have waited 2 years before filing for divorce caz now it contradicts with i what i said durng my Interview

Our marriage was bonafida and nothing to do with the citizenship

any advice?

thanks

I don't think your citizenship is in trouble ... your problem might be with your divorce proceedings, when they may find that you committed perjury if they properly investigate whether you have really been living apart or not.

The divorce is not final yet, I presume? Then you should be able to withdraw it. And without her permission (if either of you tries to stop it, then it's no longer uncontested). Then you can start living separately and in 2 years you can do it the right way. Talk to a divorce lawyer.

So you lied on divorce application about how long you've been separated for and are worried about your citizenship? Is your wife the revengeful type who would be willing to use it against you and notify USCIS?

To which side did you tell the real truth? If you told the truth to USCIS, your citizenship is safe, but you may run into trouble with the divorce court. But if the divorce court is the one that got the truth, your citizenship is in jeopardy if USCIS finds out.

As long as you did not lie to USCIS, you should be ok.

It is spelt cause, not caz.

I'm kinda worried about it caz during the interview that i did for USC we were still together and i told the Immigartion officer about it

I 'm kinda nervous caz i think i should never agreed to the uncontested divorce and should have waited 2 years before filing for divorce caz now it contradicts with i what i said durng my Interview

You have to be able to recognize a joke when you see one..I was kidding about the spelling of "because" in Louisiana.:)

So you lied on divorce application about how long you've been separated for and are worried about your citizenship? Is your wife the revengeful type who would be willing to use it against you and notify USCIS?

no we are still very close friends, but i was kinda nervous about it, Because i have never broken the law before and she insisted on getting the divorce BECAUSE she wanted to move on with her life and we don't have moeny to do the non uncontested divorce

You are good with USCIS....and I don't think anyone gives a s--- at the divorce court if you are not asking for money.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you don't plan on getting involved with USCIS rest of your life then don't really matter what you do on your divorce agreement.

If you plan on filing petition for anyone in the future then I believe you will have to submit all the paper work related to your prior marriage and divorce. the questions are little confusing on form I-130. But for sure things will be complicated if you petition for your spouse(if you marry a non USC in the future). Take a look at the extracted section from form I-130.

"
Who May Not File This Form I-130?
5. A husband or wife, if you gained lawful permanent resident status by virtue of a prior marriage to a U. S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, unless:
A. A period of five years has elapsed since you became a lawful permanent resident; or
B. You can establish by clear and convincing evidence that the prior marriage through which you gained your immigrant status was not entered into for the purpose of evading any provision of the immigration laws; or
C. Your prior marriage through which you gained your immigrant status was terminated by the death of your former spouse.
"

Last edited by a moderator: