Direct Consular Filing from India

Hi,

I was wondering if the normal filing fee of $130 has to be paid with the I-130 application at the New Delhi INS office. If so, what form of payment do they take: cash, draft, US $, traveller checks?

Thanks

You can pay cash in US$ only. The other option you have is a DD from a National bank. No Indian rupees or personal checks are accepted.

Rahul,

I'm done and over with the DCF process. The wifey got her Visa yesterday. She said it was a breeze. Everything went nice and smooth. Just thought I'd share the great news.

Timeline

Jan 5th - Applied for the I-130 petition in New Delhi
Jan 21st - Wife receives the so called Pkt 3 (they have a new name for it now)
Jan 27th - Wifey mails in forms
March 16th - Pkt 4 (dunno the new name) arrives with interview date scheduled for 4/23/04 at Mumbai
April 23rd - Interview a success. Picked up Visa at 3:00pm

... waiting for the wifey to get here.. :)

Cheers!

Travel during DCF

March 16th - Pkt 4 (dunno the new name) arrives with interview date scheduled for 4/23/04 at Mumbai

Hi morpheus0812,

I just wanted to clarify something if possible...

So on Jan 5th, you traveled with your wife to Delhi - I presume this was the interview you mentioned earlier at Delhi...How soon after the wedding was this? Is there any wait period?

Also, did you need to be present at your wife's interview in Mumbai - did you travel back to Mumbai in April?

What kind of questions did they ask your wife?

Thanks in advance for your help and congratulations!! Glad to hear your wife will be here soon!

Ratrat

morpheus,

CONGRADS!

Its been a great journey for you, and Im glad all has worked so well. From getting your oath to expediting your passport to DCF.

I am hoping to get Natz in the coming months and DCF is my #1 choice. Will touch base with you before I attempt.

Thanks a lot for sharing. Wish your wife'y' a safe trip

Rahul

morpheus0812

Can you also mention the list of documents that has changed in Packets 3 & 4 since the last few months ?

When I first got my GC thru family, the "visa" was a big folder and not a simple stamp. Is the the same now?

Thanks guys!!!

Ratrat - I did travel to Delhi to file the I-130 petition on the 5th of Jan alongwith my wife. We got married on the 20th of Dec. There is no wait period specified. There were some couples who were married only a week. I did not need to be present for my wife's interview at Mumbai. My presence was required only when filing for the I-130 at Delhi, since I'm the petitioner.
They asked my wife some standard questions like, how long have you known your husband? what does he do? how many people attended the wedding? That was it. They didn't give her a hard time at all.

Rahul - Yes, it has been a pretty smooth and quick journey for me throughout. You, this forum and the advanced research I helped a lot. I wish you the same. Good Luck on the NATZ.
The list of docs hasn't changed much, the only thing of note is that they've changed the names of the forms, the content is pretty much the same. Also, they send out a general introductory letter for all Immigrant Visa applicants in the packets. The one my wife got, asked for I-134 AND the I-864, which didnt make sense. We had to call the consulate to confirm. They only need the I-864 for family based Immigration, which I already knew.
The Visa is still the big brown envelope and not a stamp in the passport. I believe it contains the medical report, etc needed at the POA.

All the best guys... Will be checking in from time to time

Cheers!!!

Thanks! Do you have the phone number of the New Delhi embassy ? The numbers listed on the net keep ringing and ringing...

Some Questions?

Hello Friends,
I need your help.
I am a US Citizen and recently got married in India to an Indian Citizen. After the marriage we filed I-130 for my wife in American Embassy in New Delhi. We were told that rest of the instructions would be send in mail. I have few questions regarding this..
1) What is the process from now on for my wife to get her GC.
2) What documents would we require.. we dont want to delay the proceedings because we didnt had documents.
3) Is there anything that I need to send from US
4) Generally when can we expect her to get her GC
5) I have heard about police and medical check..is there anything we can do beforehand to speed these up.

Any help and pointers in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

thanks and best regards,
Sanjay.

Q for morpheus, rahul?

This is what I gather from morpheus's mail.
Do we know what is there in the packet 3?
There is some information on Packet 4 on ND web site,
but I couldnt find anything on Packet 3.
thanks and regards,
Sanjay.

Sanjay,

Sorry, but I dont know. You can send morpheus a mail or PM ask ask him for his update. Once I get thu the N400 I will involve myself in finding out more about DCF

I am posting my experience at New Delhi for DCF.

My wife and I went to consulate around 9:45 AM on Monday. Initially, we saw a long line. We did not wait in the long line when we told the security guy that we are here to go to INS (Don's use USCIS here as it is still INS to local people).

Once we went to the INS office, the security guy takes the US passport. The INS officer call each one.

The following documentations were required

(1) Filled I-130
(2) Copy of Marriage Certificate
(3) Copy of spouse (alien) birth certificate
(4) Copy of naturalization certificate (if naturalized)
(5) Copy of passport of both petitioner and alien
(6) Biographic form for both petitioner and alien
(7) We submitted loose ceremony pictures as proof of relationship

The officer called us within 10 minutes. Both wife and I were asked to stand and take oath. The officer commented that it was one year since we got married. I mentioned the delay in obtaining the citizenship.

He asked both of us if we have been married before. He asked my wife if she had been to US before. That was the end. He asked us to pay $185 (note the new fees) at the Cashier windown. He said we should get packet from the home consular within 90-120 days. Of course, the posters here have gotten it much earlier than those time frame.

The officer did not ask for marriage photo album or any other proof. I had not taken any emails or telephone as proof. I had taken some paper from work that showed my wife is the beneficiary. Also, some mortgage paper that was signed by both of us. However, the officer did not ask anything. The total interview may have lasted for 15 minutes.

Overall, it was smooth sailing. Most probably the reason being that we were traditional Indian marriage.

Thanks for all the info from people on this board.

Sundar

Documents

Sanjay,
There are few documents that take long time. It would be prudent for your wife to have the documentation ready

(1) Police Clearence certificate from district police office
(2) Police Clearence certificate from regional passport office
(3) You should send I-864 filled and notarized. In addition, send W2 from last 3 years tax. Also, send her copy of federal, state and local. They only require federal, what is the harm with having state and federal.

In chennai consulate, they send packet 3. This packet contains instructions. I think the petitioner sends DS-250 (not sure about the number) part I and checklist indicating that you have all documents for the interview. Packet 4 then comes with interview dates and details about medical etc.

Sundar

Successful POE

Guys,

Morph here, sorry for the long hiatus... Been busy with the wifey.

Anyways,

The wife got here on the 8th of the month. The officer at the port of entry was pretty cool. Didn't ask her any harrowing questions. It was smooth sailing all the way. Also, her SS card arrived in the mail a week after she landed. We didnt have to go to a SS office and apply for it. I guess they changed the rules on that. Oh well, saved me a trip...

Later...

Packet 3

US702,

Packet 3 includes the Biographic form and a checklist of necessarry documents that are needed. She will need the I-864, police certificates, etc. Your wife will have to fill out the Bio form and the checklist (involves checking boxes to confirm that you have all the required documents) and send it back to the consulate. After which they will process your request and setup and interview date.
Once the interview date is setup, your wife will receive packet 4 with instructions for Medical appnt.
Hope this helps. If you have anything specific or further details, please let me know.

Later...

Morph

I wanted to update the timeline for my wife for DCF

Applied in INS New Delhi: May 10,2004
Packet 3 Recv: June 2, 2004
Packet 4: waiting

We had all the documents ready before packet 3 arrived. So we could send the DS230 and checklist immediately back.

Sundar

Read in other newsgroup that New Delhi INS is going to stop accepting application for visiting US citizen after July 1. You have to stay in India for at least 60 days before you can apply in the office.

Rahul: I know you were looking at DCF. It seems that window is closing now.

Sundar