Dilemma: Traveling aboard soon and also becoming a US Citizen

rvpals

Hi All

My wife is going to become a naturalized US Citizen very soon and by estimation, around the time she swears in as a US Citizen is when she needs to travel aboard.

She's traveling to Spain for a few days during that time. She's very likely have already completed her oath and become a citizen. However, by the time she took the oath and try to apply for a US Passport, there might not be enough time to get the US Passport.

My question is:
- Is my wife technical a US Citizen as soon as she takes the oath and got her naturalization certificate?
- After the oath, is her former nationality and passport invalid that she has to travel with a new US passport?
- What do you do if you have to travel aboard but you're a citizen but still waiting for your passport?
- Would she get in any trouble for traveling with a former passport with a Spain Visa?
- Would she be able to get in to Spain without her new US passport but with her naturalization paper?

Thank you.

Jason

cafeconleche

Registered Users (C)
1. yes
2. depends on her current nationality. The US doesn't care how many nationalities you have.
3. you can make an appointment at a passport office for an urgent passport if travel is within two weeks, or a visa is required within four weeks. You can also just show up if no appointment is necesarry: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/where-to-apply/agencies.html
4. leaving is not a problem on a foreign passport, but re-entering the US could be. They could give her a lot of hassle at the border. Best to travel with a US passport
5. no