Different GC dates for me and my wife

shah007

Registered Users (C)
The date of my being a Permanent Resident on my GC is July 1 2007. Based on the eligibility calculator, I am not authorized to apply for my US citizenship.

The date of my wife being a Permanent Resident on her GC is August 3 2007. I believe she will not be able to apply along with me right now.

Can I apply for myself in the next week and then apply for her after a month OR should I wait and send in both mine and my wife's applications together after a month.

I would wait for her eligibility date + one week to be safe. You then have a better chance of being able to do fingerprint, interview and oath appointments on the same day (but this is not guaranteed). You can also save a little on postage cost by sending both applications in the same USPS package.

rjackal:

Thank you for your concern.

Apart from being able to do fingerprint, interview and oath appointments on the same day and the postage cost, are there any other disadvantages if I file next week and if I file for my wife next month?

As advised, file in your wife's citizenship application later than the date of anniversary of her Permanent residency status. This will put on the safe side. Also there are no possible disadvantages of filing yours separately and your wife's at a later time. Every N-400 application is considered as a separate case even if it comes from the same family or if they have been filed at the same date.

IF you file together it is highly likely that the cases will be bundled and everything will be scheduled together all the way through Oath. IF naturalizing together in the same Ceremony is not desired for some reason, then be sure NOT to file together.