Detroit MI - N-400 Timeline

Still No Oath Letter

Interviewed Nov 6th, still have not Oath letter in the Greater Detroit area. Anyone same boat? :eek:

Wife's IL is still no here, it will be one year by end of this month. :mad:

N400: 11/06
FP: 01/07
Interview: 11/07

Interviewed Nov 6th, still have not Oath letter in the Greater Detroit area. Anyone same boat? :eek:

Wife's IL is still no here, it will be one year by end of this month. :mad:

N400: 11/06
FP: 01/07
Interview: 11/07

too early yet. Oaths are on alternate tuesdays of each month

Oath Letter Question

I received my oath letter yesterday with the ceremony for next Monday (less than a week notice!!) but my wife's oath letter is not here yet. We both had our interview on the same day (Oct 31).

Is there anyone with a similar experience? Any cases of oath letters missed in mail? Any way to find out whether my wife's ceremony is on the same date or not?

One thing I noticed is that the letter originated from NSC and not from Detroit contrary to my belief.

Thanks!

oath

no wonder why i have not recived my letter yet, i know my oath is on 11/29 and detroit office told me to show up even with out a letter but you have to make sure about the date, i would adice you going to the detroit office and ask, the oath for your wife might be monday or Thursday the 29th.

Oath Letter

Oath letter was dated 11/19 and received it 11/23. Scheduled for 12/3, which is a Monday.

N400: 11/29/06
FP: 01/08/07
Interview: 11/06/07
Oath letter: 11/23/07
Oath Date: 12/3/07

No oath letter yet.

Hi, mouhanad,

My wife had her interview on Nov. 7th. As of today, we have not received the oath letter yet.

Would you please tell me how did you find out your oath date without the oath letter? Thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
oath

i made an info pass appotnment and they told me that my oath is 11/29, i went there again last week to make sure it is still on and they asked me to show up even i do not have a letter, they will let me fill the form there N445

The letter and the GC are the only items required.

I took additional supporting documents to be on the safe side and this included the interview approval notice and all the supporting documents that I took for the citizenship interview.

If you plan on staying after the oath ceremony to apply for SSA status updates and to apply for passport(s) then you would probably require additional stuff (photographs, checks, etc).

I too had brought some backup documents but had left them in the car parked in the COBO rooftop parking lot. I was carrying only only the GC and Oath Letter to the COBO; I also had brought a carton sturdy Priority Mail envelope for a possible dual use:
- if I applied for the US Passport, I already had the right container for the application and the Naturalization Certificate
- if I postponed the application for the US Passport, it would be a good protection for the Naturalization Certificate against rain (or snow).
----------------------
Detroit DO - NSC
09/28/98 Entered on K-1 (Fiance) Visa
12/19/98 Married with US Citizen (still happily married 9 years after )
12/24/98 Filed I-485, I-130, I-765 in OKC (NSC)
01/03/99 Moved to Texas (TSC)
05/xx/00 Moved to Eastern PA (VSC)
11/xx/00 Moved to Central NJ (VSC)
03/19/01 LPR
03/xx/03 Received GC dated 03/19/2001
03/20/07 N-400 Priority Date
04/12/07 FP done
09/19/07 Interview passed :)
10/26/07 Naturalized Citizen :)

Good Suggestions!

Here are a few general suggestions to whoever is going to attend an Oath ceremony... plan on getting the SSA status updates then and there and if possible be prepared to apply for the PP. The lines maybe long but it still is a one stop shop and avoids going to the SSA and the post office (or where ever)...

As for the PP if you are not planning to travel anytime soon (in the next 2-3 months) it probably makes sense to just apply for regular processing and not to expedite it. Just apply and forget about it...

SSA and PP

I am going to a court, not sure if there will be SSA and PP there?

And if there is, what do I need to bring, like current SSA and the PP application + photos?

Can I apply PP before SSA in say a post office? Thanx,

The Naturalization packages on our seats at our ceremony at the COBO Center contained a few items like a flag, a welcome letter from our President and... two SS-5 forms: a sample showing that one should check the "US Citizen" checkbox and a blank form to be filled out while we were waiting for the ceremony to start.

I do not know whether there will be a SSA representation at the courthouse but you may download and print out the SS-5, fill it out and bring it along. If the SSA is present at the courthouse, it just takes you a few minutes to have this taken care of and you still keep the original Naturalization Certificate so that you can apply on the same day at the Post Office (by the way, you may stop at the UPS Store to make a few photocopies of your Natz Certificate and even better have them notarized - it can be a usfeul backup in case the original gets lost.)

Can I apply PP before SSA in say a post office? Thanx,
If the SSA is not present at the Naturalization Ceremony you still can apply the same day at the Post Office and take care of the SSA later. I actually did not update my SSA records at the ceremony because one of my mmiddle names was missing from the Natz Certificate - I took care of it a few days later.

My wife received her oath letter today. She passed her interview on Nov. 7th, 2007. The ceremony will be at district court on Dec. 13th, 8:30 am. I and my daughter will go with her. (My son is a high schooler and does not want to miss school)

My wife's time line (I submitted my application the same day, no IL yet:confused:.)

03/29/07 PD N-400(NSC)
04/24/07 FP done and cleared
09/14/07 IL letter received
11/07/07 Interview
12/03/07 Oath letter received
12/13/07 Scheduled oath date :)

Oath

Took Oath 12/3 in Detorit. We had to wait in the room for almost an hour because they are waitting for all people to show up. They toke the letter and the green card, and you get your certificate one by one.

There is no change of Social Security information or Passport handling at the court location. I went to local SSA office and wait in line for about an hour. Also went to post office for the passport application. Quite a few people in line due to holiday.

For the regular process, how long it takes to the get passport these days?

Wife's case is still pending, no IL after one year.

Took Oath 12/3 in Detorit. We had to wait in the room for almost an hour because they are waitting for all people to show up. They toke the letter and the green card, and you get your certificate one by one.

There is no change of Social Security information or Passport handling at the court location. I went to local SSA office and wait in line for about an hour. Also went to post office for the passport application. Quite a few people in line due to holiday.

For the regular process, how long it takes to the get passport these days?

Wife's case is still pending, no IL after one year.

For passport call the chicago agency and take an appointment and go over there with Nat. cert, A Travel Itenary, SSN card and they will issue you a passport same day afternoon. I found that better than sending Nat. Cert in mail and waiting for it to show up in the mailbox. It took 1 day off from work and 3 hours driving one way, but I avoided the weeks of possible anxiety.

Greatwhilte

There is no change of Social Security information or Passport handling at the court location. I went to local SSA office and wait in line for about an hour.
Congratulations Greatwhilte!

I had not registered to vote at the Oath Ceremony and filled out a few weeks later the State of Michigan Voter Registration Application. I just received the voter registration card today. :)

I hope your wife soon receives the IL.
----------------------
Detroit DO - NSC
03/19/01 LPR
04/12/07 FP done

Vote

I sent that to the township Clerk by mail the same day. Sounded like it only takes a couple of weeks to get yours?

Congratulations Greatwhilte!

I had not registered to vote at the Oath Ceremony and filled out a few weeks later the State of Michigan Voter Registration Application. I just received the voter registration card today. :)

I hope your wife soon receives the IL.
----------------------
Detroit DO - NSC
03/19/01 LPR
04/12/07 FP done

It should turn out OK for you... On the registration form it reads that unless you live in a few select major cities (Detroit, Dearborn, Ann Arbor, Bettle Creek etc.), you should send your registration form to the county clerk. The clerk in your township probably will have figured it out and forwarded it to the county clerk. If you do not receive your voter card within 3 weeks, you may want to ask your township clerk.