Detroit MI - N-400 Timeline

Nakoo said:
Hi,
My online Status Disappeared today. Seems they are processing interview letter.
Nakoo
DO Detroit

N-400 Mailed - 1/6
PD - 1/10
NOA dated 1/18 - Received 1/20
FP Noticed date 2/24 received 3/3
FP Done 3/21

Congratulations! I fall under VSC though. Hopefully your letter shows up soon. My status had disappeared all of Sunday, but then reappeared on Sunday night. As of now, it is still online.

Cheers,
Nico

-------
N-400 @ VSC
PD: 01/17/06
Check cashed: 01/23/06
ND: 02/14/06 (received 02/18/06)
FP notice: 03/01/06 (received 03/05/06)
FP: 03/15/06 (FBI reported back to USCIS the same day)
April 2: Online status disappeared (then reappeared later that day)
ID/OD: N/A

LegalAlien99 said:
Congratulations! I fall under VSC though. Hopefully your letter shows up soon. My status had disappeared all of Sunday, but then reappeared on Sunday night. As of now, it is still online.

Cheers,
Nico

-------
N-400 @ VSC
PD: 01/17/06
Check cashed: 01/23/06
ND: 02/14/06 (received 02/18/06)
FP notice: 03/01/06 (received 03/05/06)
FP: 03/15/06 (FBI reported back to USCIS the same day)
April 2: Online status disappeared (then reappeared later that day)
ID/OD: N/A

You can look at the latest update field in the on-line status, if something really happened, you should see the date change over there.

Nakoo:

For some reason my status never appeared in the online case status website

BTW, Did you call FBI to confirm if your FP was sent to NSC?

cp485

Hi cp485

Your PD is just after mine, about a week later. I think your Interview kletter should also be in process, since your FP was one day after mine. I am sure we both will have letters before the end of next week.
No, I did not call FBI, as I understand that the process is almost automatic and it takes just a couple of minutes. However, I will call them for Name Check, some time towards the end of April.

Do you have any idea what are the interview dates they are alloting now in Detroit?

Nakoo

Thank you Citi_seeker. I recieved my letter yesterday and was dated March 29th. My oath is scheduled for the 14th.

Nakoo,

Thanks for the information. Sorry that I don't have any information on the interview dates they are allotting now. Probably mid-june I guess !!!

Do you know how to confirm if the name check was completed?

Oath taken today (4/6/06) and received the Naturalization Certificate

My Experience:
The appointment letter said that I had to be at the US District Court (231 W Lafayette) at 8.30AM. Thanks to maps from Google, the wrong directions left me stranded on the opposite side of the downtown. By the time I reached the court it was already 8.45.

The court is on W Lafayette and Shelby. It is pretty close to M10 and 75 intersection. Forget the online maps, look into the downtown map and you cannot go wrong. There are 2 parkings, one exactly opposite to the court (not sure of the price) and another one right next to it (covered parking - expensive, I paid $12 for 1 hour and 45 mintues).

Anyway, the security guy told me not to worry as they would start only after 9AM. The courthouse was packed with about 125 people (75 of us were becoming citizens). The Judge arrived at 9.15AM and gave a 15 minute speech. She read out the different countries from which people would be taking US citizenship.

Around 9.30AM, only the US citizen applicants stood up and took the oath. I request that you use a babysitter to take care of the kids. Judge called 4 names (along with country names) at a time and we picked up our certificate.

I stayed back after the ceremony (cameras are allowed in the courthouse) and took picture with the judge. I also got the Judge's autograph.

If you want to get something to eat, there is a Starbucks (Grisworld & Congress) nearby (walking distance).

Within 3 hours after receiving the Naturalization Certificate, I applied for my passport. The passport application given by the PO was a mess (poor illegible copy), so I went to http://travel.state.gov/passport and filled the form online. You can then save the form as a PDF onto your hard drive. I printed it, took it to the PO and took a oath in front of the clerk (second one today) and sent out the application form. You will have to send in your original Naturalization Certificate and Name change court approval (if applicable). Total fees is $97 ($67 - check for the passport) and $30 to the PO.

As soon as I was home, I called 800-375-5283 (a series of prompts and finally chose a prompt that my application was very overdue - it was not, there was no other way to get to talk to a live person) and upgraded my spouse's 130 (applied PR as a spouse of GC) to reflect that I have become a citizen. The PR is a lot quicker for spouse of USC. In about 4 weeks (after I get my confirmation/approval), I should be able to send in the AOS (Adjustment of status) package.

Good Luck to All !! I will keep posting about the passport and spouse PR status.

STATUS UPDATE: 9/13/06 - My wife got her GC in less than 5 months. She has posted her timeline as "miamilover".

Last edited by a moderator:
Received Interview Notice Today

My friend's updated timeline:

Mailed N-400: 02/14/06
Rec'd at NSC: 02/15/06 (from tracking report)
Check cleared: 02/21/06
Case appeared on USCIS Status system: 02/28/06
Received Receipt Notice: 03/03/06 (PD: 02/15/06, ND 02/24/06)
Received Fingerprint Notification: 03/06/06 (ND: 03/01/06)
Fingerprint appointment: 03/21/06 (Grand Rapids ASC)
On-line status disappeared: 04/06/06
Received Interview Notification: 04/08/06 (ND: 04/03/06)
Interview appointment: 06/19/06

The following is my timeline from a year ago -- his case is tracking right in line with mine:

Mailed N-400: 02/05/05
Rec'd at NSC: 02/08/05(from tracking report)
Check cleared: 02/11/05
Received Receipt Notice: 02/22/05 (PD: 02/08/05)
Received Fingerprint Notification: 02/28/05
Fingerprint appointment: 03/17/05 (Grand Rapids ASC)
Received Interview Notification: 03/29/05 (ND: 03/24/05)
Interview appointment: 06/22/05
Received Oath Notification: 06/29/05
Oath: 07/18/05
Applied for passport: 07/18/05 (expedited service, applied through local P.O.)
Received passport: 07/29/05 (Chicago Passport Agency)

Last edited by a moderator:
Interview Letter Recd - DO Detroit

Hi,
Just received my Interview letter on Friday. My time line is:

N-400 Mailed - 1/6
PD - 1/10
NOA dated 1/18 - Received 1/20
FP Noticed date 2/24 received 3/3
FP Done 3/21
NOA for Interview, date 3/31, received on 4/7
Interview Date - 6/5

DO - Detroit

Thanks for giving life to this thread, otherwise it would have been burried.
I am waiting for FP notice. How often online status changes after gettin into system? does it change after FP notice?

Current Detroit Timeline

Has anyone recieved Fingerprinting notice with PD 02/20/2006 or later. DO is detroit.

Thanks

Allpied from Detroit

tz6ph0 said:
Has anyone recieved Fingerprinting notice with PD 02/20/2006 or later. DO is detroit.

Thanks

PD 3/07/06
ND 3/14/06
Online status: Last update 3/17/06

Looks like Michiganders need a little motivation to keep updating this thread.

Anyway, I applied for my passport on April 06, 2006 within 2 or 3 hours after receiving the naturalization certificate. Went online and printed the online form. Took it to post office and took another oath. I used regular service and according to the website, the passport has been mailed on May 2, 2006. Hopefully I will receive it today.

thanks2rajiv said:
Looks like Michiganders need a little motivation to keep updating this thread.

Anyway, I applied for my passport on April 06, 2006 within 2 or 3 hours after receiving the naturalization certificate. Went online and printed the online form. Took it to post office and took another oath. I used regular service and according to the website, the passport has been mailed on May 2, 2006. Hopefully I will receive it today.
Hello All,

Let me update my timeline and other experience as well.

First of all, thanks to Thanks2Rajiv( A little odd to write this) to keep this thread alive.

I had my interview recently on April 18. The interview without any problems. I reached the office barely two minutes before the deadline and I was called in promptly at my interview time. I was lucky to make it in time.

First the oath to make sure I wil tell te truth. Then, the officer asked for passport, Green Card, Drivers's License and I offered to show the SSN card as well. I took another set of photographs with me. So, she looked at the current set and joked with about how the current set looked better than the one that were sent in with the application. She gladly swapped the photographs.

Then the officer went thru the application, page by page. I had three traffic citations that were dismissed. So, she confirmed with me that they were for speeding and no DUI involved. She wrote something on the application in regards to that. Then she asked all the questions at the end of teh application.

After the application, I was asked to write the writing sample and asked the Civics questions. Answered all of them. She wrote 100%c on the sheet and confirmed my information and asked me to sign on a form.

The whole process took less than 15 minutes and very pleasant.

I received the oath letter the very next week and oath scheduled for Monday.

Thanks2Rajiv,

Are there additional documentation that we need to take for the Oath Ceremony other than the Passport, Greaan Card and Drivers License? Do we need to take any previous immigration documents like H1-B's I-485 approvals and other INS documentation? Please let me know.

Thank you
Nebulous

Some stats about Detroit timelines

In the spirit of keeping this thread alive, i did a quick analysis of some of the timelines posted by others based in the Detroit area.

Here is a summary based on 12 data sets between 2005 and 2006.

1. time to finish FP: minimum 35 days, ave 55 days, max 88 days
2. time to finish interview: min 125, ave 155, max 196
3. time to take oath: min 163, ave 202, max 259

Items 2 and 3 have fewer than 12 data sets since some of these folks are still in various stages of completion.

FP Reschedule

PD: 3/7/06
ND: 3/14/06
FP: Notice Mailed 4/28
FP: Notice Recvd. 5/3
FP: Date 5/5
I was going out of town, with this short notice I was not been able to go for FP. I send request for reschedule.

Any one same situation or know how much is the impact for rescheduling FP?

Docs for oath ceremony

Congrats Nebulous...I am sure it was indeed a long wait.

I took my passport, GC, DL and the oath invitation letter. That was it.

Your GC will be taken away.

Please post your oath experience here !!

Thanks!!