Detroit MI - N-400 Timeline

Quick Question on Application Dates

Hello All:

I have a quick question on citizenship application date.

I got my GC on 9/15/2000. I have not left the US since then. My question is can I apply for citizenship after June 15 (90 days before continuous residence/permanant resident) or should I wait until 9/15/05 (since my permanent residence is still under 5 years even though I meet the continuous residence requirement of (5 year - 90 days).

Thanks for your reply.

Amy

Thanks CanTex. The reason I am concerned is in the page 22 of "Guide to Naturalization" the language reads "you may apply for naturalization 90 days before you meet the continuous residence requiremnets only"

I read this as, you need to meet the or exceed the 5 year PR requirement even but, can apply 90-days before the continuous residence requiremnets are met. Is this reading too much in to the language?

Thanks,

Amy

Thanks for your help CanTex and Epic. Just to feel better, I am going to try calling INS tomorrow with the same question - may be I am naive to think that I can get through easily - but, let us hope so. I'll post their answer as well.

Have a wonderful July 4th.

regards,

Amy

It really makes little difference other than you getting your citizenship 3 months earlier or not.

If it stated you needed to meet the 5 year residency before you could apply, then you would apply on 9/15/2005.

However it states that you can apply 90days prior to you meeting the 5 years residency, which would make it 6/15/2005 and later.

epic

Thanks. I learned the hard way that every day can make a huge difference when you are dealing with INS/USCIS. Because, I delayed my GC application by a few weeks, I had to deal with nearly an additional 3 year wait when the agency said "oops" and stopped moving the priority dates to process I-140.

Mailed N-400 on Feb 11, 2005
FP was on March 19, 2005
Interview was on June21, 2005
Oath ceremony scheduled on July21, 2005 :D

A total of less than 5.5 months from start to finish. Not bad :)

ramsun25 said:
FP was on March 19, 2005

Congrats! What's interesting is that they have oath ceremonies so often. Mine is only 3 days before yours.

ramsun25 said:
FP was on March 19, 2005

Congratz!!! :) Man posts like these are making me me too hopeful on my on case. lol. Got FP'ed on 6/28, hope to hear about my interview soon.

kirit

Did anybody recently go through the oath ceremony? Please share what is the process like where and how you check-in? and what happens then? how long is the ceremony? etc

My spouse's oath ceremony is on July 14th and mine is on July 21.

ramsun25 said:
Did anybody recently go through the oath ceremony? Please share what is the process like where and how you check-in? and what happens then? how long is the ceremony? etc

My spouse's oath ceremony is on July 14th and mine is on July 21.

This interests me too. Appears that Detroit has at least a couple ceremonies a week. Please share your wife's experience here after the 14th, including whether you can take someone to the ceremony with you.

My wife had her oath ceremony yesterday. They said they conduct these ceremonies every monday and Thursday.

You can take the whole family with you. The family has to enter the court room and sit and wait for the member (the person who is taking the oath) to join them. First you have to stand in a line for a lady to check the oath letter is filled in correctly. Then you continue to wait in the line for your turn to enter the court room from the side door. There is another official inside the court who will take your oath letter and green card and inreturn he will give you few documents and a blue book. Then you go sit next to your family in the court room. After everybody checks-in then there will be speeches from a volunteer veteran and then you wait again for the judge to come in. Once judge arrives then She/he will give a speech. They will ask the people who are taking the oath to stand up and raise the right hand and read after the judge the pledge from the blue book. Then you sit and wait for your name to be called to take the Citizenship certificate.

You are allowed to take pictures in the court room only. Do not take pictures in the hallway. They will confiscate you cameras. Do not bring cellphones.

Good luck everyone

Thanks for sharing -- this is great information! Now my turn on Monday!

A couple of questions: Is parking readily available near the court? How long did this take from start to finish?

Thanks again, and good luck yourself next Thursday!

ramsun25 said:
My wife had her oath ceremony yesterday. They said they conduct these ceremonies every monday and Thursday.

You can take the whole family with you. The family has to enter the court room and sit and wait for the member (the person who is taking the oath) to join them. First you have to stand in a line for a lady to check the oath letter is filled in correctly. Then you continue to wait in the line for your turn to enter the court room from the side door. There is another official inside the court who will take your oath letter and green card and inreturn he will give you few documents and a blue book. Then you go sit next to your family in the court room. After everybody checks-in then there will be speeches from a volunteer veteran and then you wait again for the judge to come in. Once judge arrives then She/he will give a speech. They will ask the people who are taking the oath to stand up and raise the right hand and read after the judge the pledge from the blue book. Then you sit and wait for your name to be called to take the Citizenship certificate.

You are allowed to take pictures in the court room only. Do not take pictures in the hallway. They will confiscate you cameras. Do not bring cellphones.

Good luck everyone

parking is right across the street from the court house. They charged me 8 bucks flat rate. We were in the parking lot at 8:05 am and the ceremony was done by 9:45 am

Good luck

The most important thing is nobody is allowed inside the building without a photo ID. So if you are planning to take family make sure everybody is carrying some sort of photo ID.

I'm Done!

I became a U.S. citizen today! I was amongst 75 others representing 27 countries at today's ceremony.

My experience today was identical to what ramsun25 and his wife experienced last Thursday, except we were done a little earlier (9:40 AM).

My timeline:

Mailed N-400 on Feb. 5, 2005
Rec'd at NSC on Feb. 8, 2005 (from tracking report)
Check cleared on Feb. 11th, 2005
Received Receipt Notice on Feb. 22, 2005
PD: Feb. 8, 2005
Received Fingerprint Notification: Feb. 28, 2005
Fingerprint appointment: March 17, 2005
Received Interview notification: March 29, 2005 (notice date March 24, 2005)
Interview appointment: June 22, 2005
Oath: July 18, 2005

Good luck to all that follow!

I had my interview on June 29, 2005 in Detroit.
Altough I had to wait for almost two hours, actual interview only took about 10 minutes. The officer only asked for passport, greencard, and driver's license and nothing else. At the end of the interview told me that she is recommending my case for approval and I should get oath letter within two months. I am still waiting for the letter.

Kabir