denied citizenship

But how the then INS approved his greencard with knowing the incident and the punishment has was given?

I think the Section 245i law for a short period of time was passed for unlawful aliens or aliens who had bad moral characters before 2001 to apply for green cards. This section 245i allowed applicants to apply for I-485A and pay penalty fees before or on April 30, 2001.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shoplifting or theft, even if for a very small amount, is taken very seriously in the immigration realm. Because such a crime has an element of intent to steal or defraud, it is considered what we call in the Immigration Law, a ‘crime involving moral turpitude’, which often brings about serious immigration consequences.

Under the immigration law, an alien is deportable if: the alien is convicted of a crime involving moral turpitude committed within five years (or 10 years in the case of an alien provided lawful permanent resident status) after the date of admission, and the alien is convicted of a crime for which a sentence of one year or longer may be imposed.

If the maximum period of incarceration possible for this offense is less than one year, which is usually the case for minor shoplifting convictions, this should have no application. However, some States treat more serious theft offenses or burglary offense as aggravated felony for which the term of imprisonment is at least one year. In such cases, of course, deportation grounds can apply to the violator.

Where were you charged at and convicted to shoplifting? In US or outside the US? If in US then which state? How much thing was worth in money that you shoplifted? Normally a shoflifting crime falls under patty offence..and considers a misdemeanor if it's under $300, BUT if the amount of item shoflifted was worth more than $300 then it could become a grand larceny...and a felony...depending upon state laws wherein crime was committed.

Shoplifting is also a CIMT (crime involving moral turpitude) and a deportable offense. Conviction on crimes involving moral turpitude may trigger deportation if you have any other CIMT on your record. This immigration law term of-art could include crimes in many different offense categories, e.g., crimes in which either intent to steal or defraud is an element (such as theft and forgery offenses). You can find this information in the link that has been provided underneath. So, it could be possible that you will be placed on a removal proceedings very soon if there is more into your case/background/convictions.

You have to also understand that the changes in immigration laws in 1996 included definition of fifty more classes of crime, some of which are neither “aggravated” nor a “felony” by criminal law standards (e.g. shoplifting); also almost any crime for which you served at least 1 year in prison. You can see this information as such and clear on this link-

http://www.nysda.org/idp/docs/Deportation101-Curriculum.pdf

http://www.amnestylawusa.com/PracticeAreas/Deportable-Criminal-Offenses.asp

http://www.shopliftingprevention.org/main.asp

Shoplifting or theft, even if for a very small amount, is taken very seriously in the immigration realm. Because such a crime has an element of intent to steal or defraud, it is considered what we call in the Immigration Law, a ‘crime involving moral turpitude’, which often brings about serious immigration consequences.

Under the immigration law, an alien is deportable if: the alien is convicted of a crime involving moral turpitude committed within five years (or 10 years in the case of an alien provided lawful permanent resident status) after the date of admission, and the alien is convicted of a crime for which a sentence of one year or longer may be imposed.

If the maximum period of incarceration possible for this offense is less than one year, which is usually the case for minor shoplifting convictions, this should have no application. However, some States treat more serious theft offenses or burglary offense as aggravated felony for which the term of imprisonment is at least one year. In such cases, of course, deportation grounds can apply to the violator.

Where were you charged at and convicted to shoplifting? In US or outside the US? If in US then which state? How much thing was worth in money that you shoplifted? Normally a shoflifting crime falls under patty offence..and considers a misdemeanor if it's under $300, BUT if the amount of item shoflifted was worth more than $300 then it could become a grand larceny...and a felony...depending upon state laws wherein crime was committed.

Shoplifting is also a CIMT (crime involving moral turpitude) and a deportable offense. Conviction on crimes involving moral turpitude may trigger deportation if you have any other CIMT on your record. This immigration law term of-art could include crimes in many different offense categories, e.g., crimes in which either intent to steal or defraud is an element (such as theft and forgery offenses). You can find this information in the link that has been provided underneath. So, it could be possible that you will be placed on a removal proceedings very soon if there is more into your case/background/convictions.

You have to also understand that the changes in immigration laws in 1996 included definition of fifty more classes of crime, some of which are neither “aggravated” nor a “felony” by criminal law standards (e.g. shoplifting); also almost any crime for which you served at least 1 year in prison. You can see this information as such and clear on this link-

http://www.nysda.org/idp/docs/Deportation101-Curriculum.pdf

http://www.amnestylawusa.com/PracticeAreas/Deportable-Criminal-Offenses.asp

http://www.shopliftingprevention.org/main.asp

the amount was 25$

I spoke with a lawyer today and he saw my dispositio letter and saw that the judge made a mistake and selected jail and 12 months probation so the lawyer asked me if I was in jail and I said I never did time in jail I just did 12 months probation. So he has to go to court to fix that and then send the correct disposition letter to immigration. It will cost me 1500$.

12 months suspended jail sentence plus fine for stealing worth $25? Ouch.. that's a stiff penalty for a first time offense.

12 months suspended jail sentence plus fine for stealing worth $25? Ouch.. that's a stiff penalty for a first time offense.
I know I didn't have any lawyer at the time I went by myself and I was 18. I learned my lesson the hard and expensive way.

so I had the 12 month probation but was never in jail so on page 23 has theft** does the statement below doesn't work for me then?

**The 1-year requirement refers to an actual or suspended prison sentence of 1 year or more [A New York straight probation or conditional discharge
without a suspended sentence is not considered a part of the prison sentence for immigration purposes.]

I spoke with a lawyer today and he saw my dispositio letter and saw that the judge made a mistake.

I hope this will work out for you. Everybody makes misktakes, but the immigration laws are oftentimes so harsh on many who have learned and made themselves a much better person.

Jeez.. that's harsh punishment. Is it in NY? I remember I saw a movie that starring Kevin Bacon. In the movie, he stole $5 and was sentenced to the Alcatraz prison for the rest of his life (true story).

perurican82, so what did your lawyer say? did s/he said you can appeal with your lawyer's help? I read your letter that the immigration sent you and the part saying "You are hereby granted a period of 18 days to provide evidence as to why your application for naturalization should not be opened and denied.". does it mean you have 18 days to appeal? Make sure to tell your lawyer about that.

so I had the 12 month probation but was never in jail so on page 23 has theft** does the statement below doesn't work for me then?

**The 1-year requirement refers to an actual or suspended prison sentence of 1 year or more [A New York straight probation or conditional discharge
without a suspended sentence is not considered a part of the prison sentence for immigration purposes.]

It makes it sound that way. Consult an attorney to discuss this.

Jeez.. that's harsh punishment. Is it in NY? I remember I saw a movie that starring Kevin Bacon. In the movie, he stole $5 and was sentenced to the Alcatraz prison for the rest of his life (true story).
It wasn't that bad. He wasn't sentenced to life for stealing $5. He went to prison for $5, and then got into more trouble in prison.

will do. According to my attorney hopefully the judge will correct that asap if he still is not a judge at my county then it will take more than 18 days so we will need to send a letter to immigration for an extension because we need to correct that info on the disposition letter. So hopefully the judge still works there so we can fix this mess up.

thanks all for your answers.
It makes it sound that way. Consult an attorney to discuss this.

perurican82, since this was in NY, did you get straight probation or an ACD (Adjudication in Contemplation of Dismissal)?

my interview approved

i have my citizen test approved i gate a letter from io saying congratulations your application has recommended for approval
at this time it appears you have established your eligibility for naturalization if final approval granted you will be notified when and where to report for the oath ceremony ?
my- Q- is steal can be denied and if yes for what reasons
thanks for reply

i have my citizen test approved i gate a letter from io saying congratulations your application has recommended for approval
at this time it appears you have established your eligibility for naturalization if final approval granted you will be notified when and where to report for the oath ceremony ?
my- Q- is steal can be denied and if yes for what reasons
thanks for reply
The only way you can be denied at this point is if something else comes up during the final review or before the oath (ex: they find out you withheld something critical or you commit an offense that makes you ineligible for naturalization).