Denial Citizenship for one question

dafer

Registered Users (C)
Atlanta, GA: "I'm amazed at the lack of willingness on the part of immigration officers to help people,"," I didn't think that one question answered incorrectly could deny my citizenship."

"I'm a college graduate so I think I have enough smarts to understand the bureaucracy but I was na�ve enough to believe that the government is on your side. I thought the process from permanent resident to U.S. citizen would be seamless: I studied the book and the steps are simple; it says that if you have been a lawful resident for five years or more and have never been convicted of any crime, if you meet the basic requirements, you qualify. No problem. I filled out the necessary forms, got fingerprinted and interviewed -- it was San Antonio, Texas, 2004.

After the interview, the immigration officer said everything was fine. He handed me a form that said 'Congratulations, you have everything required to be a U.S. citizen and you will be called to attend the swearing-in ceremony shortly' --or words to that effect. Not long after the interview I was promoted and transferred to a job in Atlanta - I am a dietician at a senior's retirement residence. I notified Homeland Security right away of my change of address, as required by law.

I assumed that I would go to the citizenship ceremony in Atlanta. After two months I got another letter for yet another interview and it said I could have an attorney present. I had no idea what it was about and of course didn't need an attorney to come with me - why would I need one? I hadn't done anything wrong. So I went to the interview and asked the immigration officer why I was having this second interview and not saying the Oath of Allegiance instead. 'Sometimes we let another officer go through the application, it usually has to be checked by two officers,' she explained. Apparently everything was in order, but then she said, 'What happened in 1998?'

Nothing happened. My mind was racing - I automatically thought there was some criminal charge, something I had done wrong. I had done absolutely nothing wrong so when she asked if I was willing to put that in writing, I said sure. I didn't think anything of it but later found out that, because I signed that affidavit, my citizenship was denied.

This is why I was denied my citizenship. When I went through the legal resident process, I signed a form that disclosed how I entered the U.S. I arrived here on my student visa from Mexico in 1990-91. I overstayed my visa for about one year but got my residency status in 1992 through the amnesty program. But I forgot all about it, and she thought I was lying.

In other words, I was denied citizenship because of a form I signed 17 years ago that I don't remember signing. At that time I barely spoke English. The process was through the Catholic Social Services and I didn't understand the questions. Now, this immigration officer didn't elaborate on the question- she only asked me 'what happened'. She could have been more helpful, she could have asked me if I wanted a lawyer before signing. She could have given me a clue. But instead, she set me up to be denied..

After I was denied, I did some research and found out that the officer could have handled this situation a lot differently. I had the right to correct any derogatory information.

The next step I have to do is fill out a form N336 - a denied citizenship appeal. This means that you are allowed to have another interview with another officer - not the one who denied your application. And that officer will look at the facts and can overturn the decision, ask for more information or grant your appeal. According to the law (which I have been reading a lot!) you pay $268 for an appeal and then Homeland Security cannot exceed 180 days from the date when the appeal is sent until the time you are assigned the interview.

That was in 2005. I have now waited 365 days to answer one question. I have had to go through this process for two years, all because I didn't understand, or the immigration officer didn't elaborate on, one question.

I understand why people are denied citizenship, mainly for a felony or drugs. But my record is clean. I continue to be a legal resident and I am still waiting for my appeal. Ironically, this question isn't about citizenship. If they had asked this question when I applied for legal residency, I would have been denied that. So now I feel that they are backtracking.

Now I have a lawyer. I filed the appeal myself but I am not going to walk into the next interview by myself, no matter how much I have studied the law. I can imagine this happens to thousands of people. After five years, you should be eligible to become a citizen. I have now been a permanent resident of this country for 15 years. I have paid taxes, I have always abided by the law.

If the appeal process doesn't work, I can re-apply again. But this creates a lot of hardship. My daughter lives in Mexico and I can't legally bring her into the U.S until I get my citizenship. I want to have a life in America. I have been offered a transfer and promotion to Texas but will it take another two years to file if I move? Basically, my life is on hold, for one question on a form I signed 17 years ago when I was just 16 years old.

I can understand and agree that many people should be denied citizenship for a host of reasons, but just because this one officer in Atlanta was not in a good mood that day shouldn't mean that it was going to be a bad day for me

Please clarify. What exactly was the reason for the denial? Did something you said in the interview or on the N-400 contradict what you said on that form years ago? Did you lie on that form, or mistakenly put something on it that wasn't true? What happened in 1998?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your time line is very confusing and it baffles me. What did you do in 1998 that invited their attention? So you benefited from the 1986 amnesty program and got your green card in 1992 (it was a two step process in which people applied for temporary residence first. So it was possible that you got your green card only in 1992). So what? Getting amnesty is not a basis of denial. So what was the real reason for denial?

How come you still have family in Mexico if you have been living here for so long??? You can actually bring her here being a Permanent Resident. and the previous poster is right... you didn't mention what happened in 1998.

sorry about the mistake yes the denial was for lack of good moral character according to the officer and yes my LPR was amnesty based in 1986
after a FOIA I found out that I signed a form stating that I overstay my visa during my LPR process. and the question was what happen in 1988 not 98
this was an interview for anarticle for the local newspaper and she got the wrong dates

link to the article

sorry about the mistake yes the denial was for lack of good moral character according to the officer and yes my LPR was amnesty based in 1986
after a FOIA I found out that I signed a form stating that I overstay my visa during my LPR process. and the question was what happen in 1988 not 98
this was an interview for anarticle for the local newspaper and she got the wrong dates

http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/articles/00454/citizenship-denied.html

she said that when I signed the paper in her office stating that nothing happen in 1988 I lie under oat

Stll you are not clear.
You came to US for first time in 1990-91. The question denying citizneship was to 1988 now? But you never were in US in 1988.
You came to US in 1990-91 for the first time as you wrote.
So you could not get citizenship on 1986 amensty since you only cam eto US for first time as a student in 1990-91.

I am smelling bullcrap here.

I do think that we are getting some light here:
You came to the US in 1980 on a student visa.
You overstayed but were able to legalize in the US based on the amnesty.
You signed a form that said you overstayed in 1988 when you were sixteen years old.
But if you were 16 in 1988 you were 8 in 1980 and you were able to come to the US on a student visa at the age of 8? This is getting very confusing...

she said that when I signed the paper in her office stating that nothing happen in 1988 I lie under oat

Well, if that is the case, then I say you have a pretty good chance of getting your appeal granted since the officer should have been more explicit in asking you about 1988?

Well you didn't ask what was she talking about when she ask you that question, you didn't ask her to be more specific, that's you mistake not theirs.

I do think that we are getting some light here:
You came to the US in 1980 on a student visa.
You overstayed but were able to legalize in the US based on the amnesty.
You signed a form that said you overstayed in 1988 when you were sixteen years old.
But if you were 16 in 1988 you were 8 in 1980 and you were able to come to the US on a student visa at the age of 8? This is getting very confusing...

I can issue spot many holes in this guy's story.

You signed a statement admitting you overstayed your visa when you applied for the 1986 legalization program? So what? To qualify for the 1986 law, you must have been an illegal alien to begin with. You had to prove to the former INS your illegal status. If you had kept your valid student status your legalization application would have been denied. How and why did this become a basis of denial of your N400?

Unless I hear a lucid story that makes sense I will not respond to this thread any more.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is hilarious. The funny thing is that dafer has been posting about this for the last couple of years at least. What's funny is that in a post last year the question was "what happened on 1987?, not on 1988 as in this current thread. What I don't know is what this current thread attempts to obtain. Dafer, are you posting this as a word of caution to other people? What happened with your case, last time you were going to get your A-file from USCIS. I am both confused and amused. By the way, I indirectly mentioned your case a few days ago when someone was asked to sign a paper saying that he had brought his Green Card to the interview. Anyway, I agree that this repost sounds weird and your vague responses not very encouraging in order to show truthfulness.