decision cannot be made what's up with the waiting period?

Nyc28, until the 120 days is up, keep inquiring with USCIS about the status of your case. keep a record of all the times you have contacted them as well. Once the 120 day mark has past, you can contact the USICS ombudsman as well to look further into your case on your behalf.
Writing to your congressperson may have mixed results, depending on if they have a direct liaison with USCIS or not. It doesn't hurt to write your congressperson and at the least adds to your correspondence eviddence list if you're considering filing suit after the 120 day limit.

Nyc28, until the 120 days is up, keep inquiring with USCIS about the status of your case. keep a record of all the times you have contacted them as well. Once the 120 day mark has past, you can contact the USICS ombudsman as well to look further into your case on your behalf.
Writing to your congressperson may have mixed results, depending on if they have a direct liaison with USCIS or not. It doesn't hurt to write your congressperson and at the least adds to your correspondence eviddence list if you're considering filing suit after the 120 day limit.

Thank you for your help. I don't know why they can't simply give you an answer with out you going out of your way. They should let us people who are waiting for answer get our answers. Interviews for NYC are going smoothly the decisions should too:(

I still don't see your timeline and interview experience. I think it's nice to share your full experience so that others might be benefited as well like you did with others' experience; otherwise it could be considered as a selfish since some people only care about asking questions and receving responses but don't bother sharing their experiences with others for the help of next applicants...

Johnnycash and Bobsmyth. Not anything complicated is going on in my files! Or atleast I dont have any single reason to suspect there is something wrong.I read many people have pending cases from this forum. that's terrible. what bugs me is they put me in wait and forgot me all for what? Just open my file and tell me what's the decision yes or no! this seems so unprofessional for the fee they are asking for!

I still don't see your timeline and interview experience. I think it's nice to share your full experience so that others might be benefited as well like you did with others' experience; otherwise it could be considered as a selfish since some people only care about asking questions and receving responses but don't bother sharing their experiences with others for the help of next applicants...

I don't know how where do I go to add the timeline? I had my interview september 12th 2008 garden city I applied in october 29th 2007 Fingerprints january 14th 2008

Last edited by a moderator:
Lately I have been reading more cases, where decision cannot be made after the interview, and will be mailed later, please if you are in such situation and later decision were mailed and case was finalized than please post your update.

You should also write your interview experience blow-by-blow detail like others have....

I don't know how where do I go to add the timeline? I had my interview september 12th 2008 garden city I applied in october 29th 2007 Fingerprints january 14th 2008

I don't have much experience it was an interview that lasted few minutes. although I had to wait 2 to 3 hours just to be called in. The man was going paper by paper in my thick file that he already had on his desk. I passed both tests 10/10. signed a paper and signed my 2 photos he said we will send you oath. paper she handed me said decision will be mailed to you. That's about all. not much of a experience that needs to be posted it's pretty simple.

Lately I have been reading more cases, where decision cannot be made after the interview, and will be mailed later, please if you are in such situation and later decision were mailed and case was finalized than please post your update.

This case happend with me. I had interview on Nov 4 2008. Office said cannot take decision as he has to get something cleared and should get a letter within 1 month.
I got a letter yesterday Dec 20-08 and my oath date is tomorrow Dec 22-08. I was lucky to get this info before yesterday as I called USCIS and was able to talk to IO who informed me about my oath date.
MY PD was 8/15/08 and my fP was forn on 9/13/08

Good luck

Can I travel to india ? I've waited this entire time to get to the decision in order to travel safely. I will stay in India 4 months. Will there or should there be a problem in my case due to the 4 month travel? Or should I forget the travel plans and stick around to see what the decision is?? My plans of traveling were since June 2008 but I had to wait for my interview. Today is December 2008 few days away from 2009. If I'm out of the states by Febuary without a decision is this ok. What do you suggest? I have a feeling I wont be hearing from them even past the 120 days they are wasting my time I have to see my mother and attend sisters wedding. Looks like they might ruin my plans by not keeping the 120 day requirment.

Hello again every body. I called to check if there is any change in my "decision will be mailed to you" The IO told me this is normal he said he tells people to give it from 4-6 months for a decision. WOW what? 4-6 months? are they kidding? then how does any one sue them if over 120 days is normal?

Hello again every body. I called to check if there is any change in my "decision will be mailed to you" The IO told me this is normal he said he tells people to give it from 4-6 months for a decision. WOW what? 4-6 months? are they kidding? then how does any one sue them if over 120 days is normal?

Over 120 days is most certainly NOT normal. In fact, I haven't seen too many recent cases where it took more than 120 days to get an oath letter. A couple of years ago, when it was standard procedure to conduct interviews even when the name check was still pending, this was a lot more common. Some applicants waited years after their interview to receive an OL. This doesn't really happen anymore, as the USCIS no longer schedules interviews while the name check is pending. I would seriously consider suing.

In other words the IO didn't have a clue and decided to go with "wait" as an answer instead of informing you of your rights to sue after 120 days as stated in 1447(b).
What it comes down to is that NYC has some serious issues with decisions being made in time. There are multiple examples of decisions taking more than the required 120 days after the interview to adjudicate and instead of being proactive and fix the issues, USCIS decides that the paying applicant should suffer instead.
In the end, most of the applicants end up waiting instead of escalating the issue with a supervisor, service director, or sue USCIS.

Vorpal what does suing do? what I'm asking is does it get you the answer of decision sooner?

what form do you fill out?
how much is it ?
where do I send it?
is there a fee to process it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Bobsmyth it sounds like a long procedure I'm afraid to even get my hands into it:( I really hope I get the answer in the 120 days period. If i had some complications I would understand the massive delay. If I do get approved is it Possible for me to wait another 3 months queue to oath date slot being empty for me?