Dec 2 interview - travel after that, name change issues etc

linuxrox

Registered Users (C)
Guys
Interview for self and partner on Dec 2 - fairfax.
Dec 10 - we leave on 3-week vacation outside.
Names on the british airways tickets - ones on the current passport. Called BA and they said, if your name on passport 'appears' differently than the ticket name, you are NOT boarding the plane! end of discussion. This means, I need to retain my GC and current passport for atleast this trip to India.
Partner and I are thinking of changing names - it was not included in N400. We have 'reprinted' N400 - partner wants to take my last name.
I want to cut down on my name :)
From something like VeeravenkatavarahaRaghav to Venkat (as an example).
Questions:
1. With the name changes for partner and I, will they schedule 'same day oath' ? We dont want that to happen - as the priority is name change on US passport. Can we ask the IO to 'schedule' the Oath to Jan 1st week or later? Has anyone done that in fairfax ? Does it work ?

2. Assuming scheduling oath to later date works, if we get the name changed, is there any resource that points us to the sort of things we need to do ? What all do I need to do - like contact SSA for name change, current employers, IRS, what else ?

Again, I am not taking a new name. Just cutting down on it. and partner's dropping her maiden name to take my last name.

Thanks so much guys -

If you request a name change as part of process, the oath will most likely be at a later date. Even is it was same day oath, the IO would offer it instead of enforcing it on you without choice. Rescheduling an oath is not a problem either.
Once your name change is complete, notify credit bureaus, banks, insurance, dmv, and any other agencies you deal with.

Linux, my sister who is also in the dc area had her interview in September and oath was scheduled end of November at the court in Alexandria, va.
So you are ok. Just make sure ask someone to check your mail for you in case an earlier oath is given. But generally Fairfax office gives oath 6 week for a name change interview.

wantmygc: it has been more than a month now that my interview is done - Dec 2 to be precise. Can you tell me how long it took ur sis to get her oath letter after the interview ?

wantmygc: it has been more than a month now that my interview is done - Dec 2 to be precise. Can you tell me how long it took ur sis to get her oath letter after the interview ?

2 Months give or take. Usually its a month. Do an infopass but I think you are ok since you just got approved a month ago.

Thanks gcnow. So your sis got the Oath letter - around 2 months after the interview approval ? If thats the case I am looking at getting it around Jan end I guess.

thanks gcnow - also, at the court at the oath time, is an additional letter given to the candidates which shows the old name and new name as it appears on the naturalization document ?

thanks gcnow - also, at the court at the oath time, is an additional letter given to the candidates which shows the old name and new name as it appears on the naturalization document ?

In addition to the natz certificate, you'll receive a court-sealed name change certificate that will display both your old name and new name.

USCIS's Kaboothar ...yet to come!

And taking your suggestion wantmygcnow, I tried to lookup infopass to schedule an appointment for month end - just in case.
I was not sure which option to choose from below - from the bold ones listed below, which option should I select if I want to go and find out where exactly is my request for name change ? ALSO - if I decide now not to put up with this delay,can I request them to cancel the name change and issue the NatCert on my original name ?
We offer 4 kinds of appointments for a case that you have already filed. Please choose from the following -
Order from Immigration Court - If you were directed to us for processing based on an order from the Immigration Judge. You must bring all documents required in the post order instructions given to you by the court.

Case Processing Appointment - If you received a notice to go to your local office for further case processing.

EAD inquiry appointment - If your I-765 employment authorization application has been pending for more than 90 days.

Case Services follow-up appointment - If it has been over 45 days since you contacted NCSC and have not received a response to your inquiry. You must bring the Service Request ID Number related to your inquiry to the appointment.

Hi linuxrox,

In your case Kaboothar really seems to be very slow.
We both went to interview on the same day.

Guess Kaboothar needs a shot of tequila :)

No oath letter yet ....

called 800-375-4283.
Guy told me to do an infopass - took one for this friday at Fairfax ..
hopefully all the mountains of snow will be off (including some that is going to fall tomorrow/wednesday) and I would be able to make it to the appointment ..
Approved interview on Dec 2 -
requested name shortening ..
Dont understand what the delay is ?

Is there any one from the FORUM that tried to fiddle with names at interview approval in FAIRFAX office ?
Please post ur experience.

ROX

I do too plan to shorten my name and plan to travel within a month after my interview. I was reluctant, not to change my name b/c I thought it'd be easier travelling with US passport which I am not required to apply for a visa. But I come to my decision that I will change my name in the process to save all the hassle of doing it myself.

Question, if in the miraculous way somehow, I get my oath before the day I travel, would it be possible to get US passport wtihin a day or two. I can go to the passport agency in DC with no problem. thanks

I do too plan to shorten my name and plan to travel within a month after my interview. I was reluctant, not to change my name b/c I thought it'd be easier travelling with US passport which I am not required to apply for a visa. But I come to my decision that I will change my name in the process to save all the hassle of doing it myself.

Question, if in the miraculous way somehow, I get my oath before the day I travel, would it be possible to get US passport wtihin a day or two. I can go to the passport agency in DC with no problem. thanks

2 days is easier than one. Make an appointment as soon as you hear about your oath. Tell them that you need to get the passport a day ahead of the flight as TSA requires the passenger manifest 24 hrs in advance (and that includes your Passport #)

Rox,

I am also opted for name change. DO fairfax. Passed my interview last week. I have been told to wait about month and if not moving adviced to take an infopass. Did you receive your oath letter yet. It has been close to 3 months now for you.