Data - Asylum Admissions & Denials Lessons

7of9

tough.PNG

Seems, the probability of success (being granted asylum) is higher when doing it affirmatively than through the courts. I think most of us make the mistake of not finding a lawyer in the affirmative process...big mistake. Those who get lawyers, submit a mountain of evidence to the Asylum officer, win.

I couldn't find data on the total number of cases: Just saying that in 2017 16045 people got asylum affirmatively doesn't help much. We want to know, how much were the denials/referral to court out of the total pool?

View attachment 1146

Seems, the probability of success (being granted asylum) is higher when doing it affirmatively than through the courts. I think most of us make the mistake of not finding a lawyer in the affirmative process...big mistake. Those who get lawyers, submit a mountain of evidence to the Asylum officer, win.

I couldn't find data on the total number of cases: Just saying that in 2017 16045 people got asylum affirmatively doesn't help much. We want to know, how much were the denials/referral to court out of the total pool?

People make a huge mistake by not attaining a lawyer that will cost them double the price they would pay for that lawyer’s work in the end :)

People make a huge mistake by not attaining a lawyer that will cost them double the price they would pay for that lawyer’s work in the end :)
Yep, that is what happened to me. I think when I started the process, I was naive. Even with a strong case, I thought I knew everything. Plus, I felt uncomfortable sharing my story...thought I could keep it between me and the Asylum Officer only. Involving lawyers meant sharing it with more people, which I didn't want to do. Big mistake. Cost me 20+ more months of waiting, for a process that could have been done in two months.

Last edited:
Too much debate here about using lawyers in the asylum process. The data above, proves that it is super important to use a lawyer, if you want to win. Had I used a lawyer, I would have avoided waiting 28 months to get approval. Imagine where my life would be if I have been approved at the affirmative stage, five months after I submitted my application? Do not make my mistake, use a lawyer for your asylum application. This is very very important. Good luck!