Dallas TX - N-400 Timeline -

You might be right! I have actually thought about the same thing too. For instance, my wife was interviewed by "DAO John Doe #29" but in my case it was simply "Officer #23 John Doe". I know DAO stands for District Adjudications Officer but could that be what ALL IO's are?

At any rate, it's pretty surprising that in A LOT of DO's people get oaths the same day - it's the norm. So it would mean EVERYONE is getting interviewed by a "Supervisor IO"?
dear mario123,
your best bet is to do an infopass and get the answers right. you are not gonna get the right answer on this board, just opinions and guesses.

like I can give you an opinion, when i went for an infopass, the io said unless all your checks are complete you will not get an oath even if you passed the interview. since all my checks were complete she mentioned, i shld get the oath letter the same day as the interview.

so you know what you have to do and who you need to address your concerns to.

Cheers!

My guess (about why sometimes the Dallas DO hands the oath letter to the applicant before the end of the interview and other times doesn't)...

The oath ceremonies seem to come in spurts. I think there are 2 in April and one in May. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't another scheduled until the July 4th time-frame (they like to have a big ceremony that makes the front page of "Metro" section of the paper each year).

The first April ceremony seems to have been the first one for a while

If you have a perfectly clean application (no files that need to come from the archives, etc), and, there is a ceremony scheduled, and there are "seats" available for that ceremony, you get an oath letter. If not, you go back in to the queue.

And, this being the USCIS, the queue is of indefinite length.

But, this is just me guessing

Got Il Today!

Got my IL today, it will be on May 21st. :D
It would be a miracle if I can get into the May 22nd OATH :rolleyes:

By the way, my online status is still : Pending at TSC.
Cheers!

BTW, I did ask the IO if all the checks (FBI, namecheck) are cleared. The IO mentioned that it was all cleared. I don't understand why they would not have all the files. The IO did mention that this sometimes happens.

The lady IO was extremely polite and was patient to answer any/all questions.

Flydog,
Since you have been through the oath experience please tell me if all we have to take to the oath is the oath letter and greencard and ofcourse in my case proof of payment of a speeding ticket which i received after the interview. Do you know of anyone who had a ticket between the interview and oath and how was it handled at the ceremony?
Thanks

I took whatever it said (oath letter, GC, and an ID card (I think - I seem to remember showing my driver's license, but I might be wrong)). I had my whole N-400 file in the trunk of my car though; I wasn't going to let anything get in the way if I could.

They only asked for what was in the letter.

I took whatever it said (oath letter, GC, and an ID card (I think - I seem to remember showing my driver's license, but I might be wrong)). I had my whole N-400 file in the trunk of my car though; I wasn't going to let anything get in the way if I could.

They only asked for what was in the letter.

Thanks

4/10/2007 Ceremony is at Arlington Convention Center at 8:15 a.m.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations! If it is not too much trouble, could you please share your country of origin (or at least aprox. region). And how common you think your name is. Thank you.
asitel, my last name is not common (when I do a google search of my name, the only hits are my postings even though I have a younger brother with the same name in atlanta). I am from south america. hope that helps!
Cheers!

MissMolina,
I am from the Boston DO. And still waiting for IL. I submitted my N400 November 2006. Interesting that your online status did not disappear...wow.

Interview experience

I just went to interview this morning. I got there 40 mins ahead of my appointment. I waited for around 40 mins before an officer called me in. I was surprised it stuck with my appointment time.

She asked me to show my GC, asked civil questions and asked me to write/read a simple sentence. She also asked me whether I need to change my name.

I did put my 2 speeding tickets (since I have my GC) on the N400. One of the traffic tickets I got was in Canada, but she didn't question me about it. All she asked me was whether I have paid fine. Nothing more to ask or show her evidence.

She asked me whether I have claimed myself as US citizen to vote. She verified my last day of travel outside of the U.S.

The whole interview lasted for about 10-15 mins. I have prepared a lot of documentation, but it ended up just need to show GC only. She told me it may take 3-6 months to receive the oath letter.

I just went to interview this morning. I got there 40 mins ahead of my appointment. I waited for around 40 mins before an officer called me in. I was surprised it stuck with my appointment time.

She asked me to show my GC, asked civil questions and asked me to write/read a simple sentence. She also asked me whether I need to change my name.

I did put my 2 speeding tickets (since I have my GC) on the N400. One of the traffic tickets I got was in Canada, but she didn't question me about it. All she asked me was whether I have paid fine. Nothing more to ask or show her evidence.

She asked me whether I have claimed myself as US citizen to vote. She verified my last day of travel outside of the U.S.

The whole interview lasted for about 10-15 mins. I have prepared a lot of documentation, but it ended up just need to show GC only. She told me it may take 3-6 months to receive the oath letter.

3-6 months? That would raise a red flag for me because by law they are supposed to make a decision within 120 days (4 months). Now, either your IO just simply threw the 3-6 months phrase out there..... or your background investigation *might* not be done. Did you ask her about your security checks and whether they were completed?

I had the same experience as you - and then this (check out post #12):
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=243815

Last edited by a moderator:
3-6 months? That would raise a red flag for me because by law they are supposed to make decision within 120 days (4 months). Now, either your IO just simply threw the 3-6 months phrase out there..... or your background investigation *might* not be done. Did you ask her about your security checks and whether they were completed?

I had the same experience as you - and then this (check out post #12):
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=243815

I didn't know I need to ask IO about my background check. If I read your link yesterday, I would ask her this morning. Most of the time IO ballpark a timeline way longer than the actual time. I hope it is true this time as well. I will give 2 months to wait for oath letter. What to say.....it's our lives. We have been waiting for the closure of our citizenship for so many years...this is the final step and just need some more patience.

Was this at the USCIS Dallas office on Stemmons. They've been handing out oath letters on the spot this month. 3-6 months, that's an awfully long time. Did they say why they think it might take that long?

questions

My timeline as mentioned below.

PD 7/21/06
FP Done on 08/14/06
Interview letter received 11/30/06
Interview date 01/18/07.
Oath letter Recd. 03/24/07
Oath date 04/04/07

Questions:
1. Got a traffic speeding ticket/citation. I am assuming will have to mention it on the back of Oath letter. With time being so short, don't think will have a proof of payment with me so soon. Please guide?

2. What is the importance of getting the voter registration? Is it absolutely required? When and where to get it done?. Does it have to be done in home jurisdiction area or can be done anywhere in the state? I am traveling pretty much every week for past few months and may continue to for sometime to come.

3. Do we need a new Social Security card, what would be different on new one? Per my understanding the SS number would remain the same. Again, do we need to apply for it in the home area only?

Thanks a lot to all the participants/members of this forum. This forum has helped everyone tremendously and eased lot of pains in this long journey of immigration.

Voting is a privilege reserved to citizens. Folks who naturalize often are very interested in taking advantage of that privilege an signing up to vote.

In Texas, you register to vote by county. You fill in an application to get a "voter registration card" and mail to to a county official. You can vote 30 days after you are registered to vote. There are local elections in early May in many municipalities in the Dallas area, so, if your oath ceremony is more than 30 days before that date, it might be worth rushing to get registered. If you can't make the early May elections, then there is no rush.

You can get the applications on the web, at your local city hall, or at the oath ceremony. They cost nothing to mail (well, the web-based one requires a stamp). The easiest way to register is to get the application immediately after the ceremony (you need to know what county you live in), fill it out and mail it on the way out. No fuss, no bother.

The social security thing is simply that there are differences in the social security rules for citizens and non-citizens (no, I don't know what they are). So, the Social Security Administration wants to know if you change your status.

We simply went to the SSA office on rt 360 in Grand Prairie and waited until our number was called. We showed our natz certs (and my daughter's new US Passport) and our social security cards. The clerk typed away and said we were all done. Neither my wife nor I got new cards. My daughter still had a "not valid for employment without authorization" note on here card. So, they shredded that card and a new one showed up in the mail a week or two later (same number).

I don't think that there is any rush for the SSA thing - though I'm guessing should do it the same tax year as you when you naturalize. In our case, we did it 1 month after my naturalization and nearly 6 months after my wife's (and about a month before the end of the year).

For your ticket, consider going to city hall or the clerk of whatever authority it was that issued your ticket, paying off the ticket in cash and taking the receipt to your oath ceremony.

I am really confused about how they choose oath ceremony dates for everyone, i see on here there are a few people who had their interviews after i did but recieved an oath letter alreay, i took an info for April 6 so lets what happens..because i was told that my application is still going through additional check but i was approved, i guest i really do need to speak with an officer

Mailed in: Oct 23 06
PD: Oct 30 06
FP:Nov 23 06
interview: Feb 26 07
Oath: Clueless