Dallas TX - N-400 Timeline -

Gotcha:

I think, they let both of us in to the sitting hall by 9:45. They give me a restaurant style buzzer by 10 am for me, but they refused to give my wife at time. When she went by 10:15 or so, she was given one.

My wife was refused at 10 by one lady, but by 10:15 am someone else there, they were apparently more lenient than the previous one.

Thank you so much gbs.citizen, I appreciate the information.

I am crossing my fingers to be as lucky as you were and get same day oath tomorrow.

Good luck to you and your family and congrats again!

Milk:

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the short term visa and OCI. It kind of makes more sense.

moreover if you add up the fee for Short Term (6month visa) and OCI together ...it is still less than the fee for just PIO card itself...

OCI has more benefits than PIO ..OCI never expires...for less fee .

Milk and others.

We are happy to share that we became proud US citizens on 7/20. Interview was a piece of cake. Here is a short recap.

Me and mywife had the interview scheduled at 7:30AM. We were there by 7:27. We were given restarunt style coasters and I was called at 7:40 for the interview.

The Officer initially stuggled to put my file together, quoting there are two files on my name (one from 86?). I had no idea of what he is talking about; He seemed to rush for things and took the file to another officer. Later (around 7:55) he came back and said everything is fine and ready for the interview. He asked if I can attend the oath cermony on the same day and ofcourse I agreed. He went over the questions on N-400,

He asked simplest 6 civic questions and asked me to read/write simple English. That's it, he I am done and congratualted me.

Oath Cermony:

Scheduled at 1:30. We showed up on time, and they took my green card (which was much more pain to get than this citizenship!) and after oath gave the Naturalization Certificate.

Next day, July 21st me and mywife apperaed in person at Passport Agency in Dallas Downtown (fixed up an apponitment on June 20th after receiving the Citizenship) with Naturalization certificate, a printout of travel itineray, DS-11 filled and submitted the application for passport (book and card) in person at 9:45AM. They said we can collect the passport and book after 2 PM. We stopped by at 2:15 and collected the passport and book.

Proud US Citizen

N-400 Applied: 2/16/09
N-400 Priority date: 2/18/09
FP Notice revied : 3/14
Orginal FP notice data: 3/18
Missed the FP appointment
Request to re-schedule the appointment response lost by USCIS
Infopass appt in Irving - 5/8
new FP date: 5/28
FP: 5/28
Letter for Interview received: 6/13
Interview Date: 7/20 7:30 AM
Interview - 7/20. Showed up at 7:25 and completed the interview process by 7:55.
Oath date - 7/20
Applied Passport in person at Dallas Passport Agency - 7/21
Passport received - 7/21
OCI applied (in person @ Houston) - 7/22
Visitor visa for India applied and approved -7/23

SUPER Cool!!! Congrats!!

You all done with the interview, Oath, Passport and Indian visa just in 3 days. Thats really called SUPER COOL!!! :D:D

I wish good luck with your India trip and taking care your parents

Last edited by a moderator:
This really sucks. i mean i am happy for you Dallas folks but why do they have to open new passport agency in Dallas rather than in Atlanta? Or they can open one Atlanta also ... state dept has some bias towards ga i guess.

Dear forum members, I am glad to announce my wife and I are now proud U.S. citizens.

Both of us had our interview today, July 24, at 11:00AM sharp. The IOs who interviewed us were both very polite and professional and they were rushing to complete our interview before the cutover time at 1130AM, when we would necessarily have to wait for an oath letter from USCIS.

The interview process did not differ from the postings I have read in this forum... initially the IO went over the information and questions on the application form and then proceeded with the test... she asked me to read a very simple sentence that was written in a paper she handed me ("What is the largest U.S. state?), after she verified my written sentence she proceed to read a sentence and instructed me to write it on a another piece of paper she gave me...("Alaska is the largest U.S. state.). Finally we went over the booklet questions, I answered 6 correctly and she congratulated me on passing the interview. The questions I was asked did not deviate from the booklet.

The only other important thing to highlight about the interview was the IO asked for receipts showing that I had paid for all the traffic tickets I had included in my application, total of 3. I promptly handed it to her... she just glanced over at the receipts and continued with the interview. For future interview candidates I would strongly suggest to take copies of payment receipts of any tickets received to your interview.

Everything else went very smooth.

At the end of the interview the IO informed me the oath ceremony would be done at 130PM on July 24, that put a huge smile on my face right away.

We came back at 115PM and were done at around 230PM... our naturalization certificates in hand!

Thank you MILK and gbs.citizen for the information you provided and good luck to everyone else!

04/21/2009 N-400 Mailed
04/27/2009 Check Cashed
04/29/2009 Receipt with Priority date 04/22/2009
05/09/2009 Fingerprint Notice
05/19/2009 Fingerprint Completed
06/13/2009 Interview Letter Received
07/24/2009 Interview Date
07/24/2009 Oath Date / Same day as interview

Thanks.

SUPER Cool!!! Congrats!!

You all done with the interview, Oath, Passport and Indian visa just in 3 days. Thats really called SUPER COOL!!! :D:D

I wish good luck with your India trip and taking care your parents

Thanks Milk!

Yes, my mom is in seventies battling cancer. The last thing I need is to get struck without necessary travel documents. I am travel ready now. BTW, I applied OCI for my family in Indian Consultate Houston on 7/22. But applied a visitor visa for quick travel.

Goodluck to you and rest of the folks!. This forum is so supportive and a companion during the journey (from H1, H1 extension, wedding, h4, labor cert, I-140, EAD, AP, GC and now Citizenship and OCI).

Became Proud US Citizen today. And also became a proud Indian American!!!

A simple oath ceremony which completed in just 45 minutes. 57 People became USC today at Dallas USCIS Office. They can accommodate a lot more people in the auditorium but not sure why they do a smaller number of oaths. I am sure there are plenty in waiting to get OLs from Dallas office.

Updated SSN with USC status. As expected, it will take 3-5 days for SS system to get updated with the new USC status as they can not see the status change right away. So for new USCs, it could be better to go after a week to SS office for status updates.

Applied PP Book and PP card expedite at the local post office. Very expensive with a total of $212+ (expedite, overnight both ways etc)

So finally, I am done dealing with USCIS. Hopefully, there won't be any need to contact USCIS (unless something happens to Nat.Certificate) in the future.

Milk,
I will be wearing suit with red rose in my hand so that you can identify me :)

My status never changed since day one on the website it is same since i applied for N-400 so i will suggest don,t go with website it won't all the time

Hey Peshawar, Are you the one with the tie or the other with no tie at the oath ceremony today?

A simple oath ceremony which completed in just 45 minutes. 57 People became USC today at Dallas USCIS Office. They can accommodate a lot more people in the auditorium but not sure why they do a smaller number of oaths. I am sure there are plenty in waiting to get OLs from Dallas office.

Updated SSN with USC status. As expected, it will take 3-5 days for SS system to get updated with the new USC status as they can not see the status change right away. So for new USCs, it could be better to go after a week to SS office for status updates.

Applied PP Book and PP card expedite at the local post office. Very expensive with a total of $212+ (expedite, overnight both ways etc)

So finally, I am done dealing with USCIS. Hopefully, there won't be any need to contact USCIS (unless something happens to Nat.Certificate) in the future.

Congrats!!!!

That was cool. Congratulations!

Became Proud US Citizen today. And also became a proud Indian American!!!...........................................................Applied PP Book and PP card expedite at the local post office. Very expensive with a total of $212+ (expedite, overnight both ways etc).

Congrats Milk!!!

And for the PP card and expedite fees, I would assume you're planning on traveling very soon and will be making frequent trips to canada or mexico. Right?

:D:D:D

Congrats Milk!!!

And for the PP card and expedite fees, I would assume you're planning on traveling very soon and will be making frequent trips to canada or mexico. Right?

:D:D:D

The main reason for the PP card (which a normal USC with PP book doesn't need)...is that as a person of color other than white...it is better to carry a PP card in the wallet than a PP book just in case...if you ever need to prove that you are a USC...

yeah, I know as a USC you just need to declare and go when encountered with border officials inside US or at the border...but I'm little skeptical about it for the naturalized people with the accent or color ...thats the reason for applying for PP card...It will replace GC in my wallet.

The main reason for the PP card (which a normal USC with PP book doesn't need)...is that as a person of color other than white...it is better to carry a PP card in the wallet than a PP book just in case...if you ever need to prove that you are a USC...

yeah, I know as a USC you just need to declare and go when encountered with border officials inside US or at the border...but I'm little skeptical about it for the naturalized people with the accent or color ...thats the reason for applying for PP card...It will replace GC in my wallet.

Good answer...I agree. And thanks for giving a reason to apply for PP card.

So can you concurrent process for a short term Indian visa and OCI ? Just wanted to find out.

yes and why not?

Get the short term visa first ..should be done in a day normally..then apply online for OCI..and then mail the required docs to CGI Houston...remember you only need to send the US passport for stamping once all the processing is done...when to send is at your discretion...if OCI is approved while you are in India..you can come back and send the US passport for stamping...no set time limit to get it stamped...but the sooner the better given the notoriously infamous Houston Embassy mailroom staff on messing the things up...there is a thread on OCI if you need more details to prepare you for OCI application...should be u under Life after Citizenship section.

Why didn't you just go to the passport agency office in Dallas and apply in person? you could have saved the express mailing charges ...

Why didn't you just go to the passport agency office in Dallas and apply in person? you could have saved the express mailing charges ...
right but I don't have any travel itinerary on hand to prove the emergency need....and even if you apply in person...it is not cheap...they're charging extra...that would make up the overnight mail charges...

Look at the "in person" under expedite section.
http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/fees/fees_837.html